London's margin clubs

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
REVIVE! :D

several east african/ugandan places up & down new cross rd
playing the standard schedule of:
1/2 hr reggae/ragga
1/2 hr hiphop/r&b
1/2 hour NDOMBOLOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

you can get in no probs - nyamachoma is also served!

Would like to check some of these out..... are they near New Cross Gate? Are they fairly apparent to non-initiates?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
revive! This was one of the best threads on Dissensus (if annoying to non-Londoners, but margin club recommendations in NYC, Glasgow would be great too - can't change the thread name tho')...

Lemme think where I've been recently....

The Colombian place on Elephant Road at E&C was gratifyingly weird - browse the DVD collection, eat an empanada, down a beer, dance salsa or play Colombian fairground games.

Um, let me think a little...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, great thread! I'd forgotten all about it.

I had a cool time a while back in this funny place on Shacklewell Lane that was two venues in one; a club playing really good tasteful (meaning actually tasteful, not boring) techno - good sound, nice atmosphere, mature-ish crowd (not kids, I mean), not super-druggy, loadsa girls - and the other bit was this West Indian pub, with reggae/dancehall/lover's rock on the stereo at conversation-friendly volume and Mount Gay rum and Dragon Stout at the bar. And possibly the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in my life shooting a mean game of pool. :) (Well, I say that...I wasn't really watching the game, she could have been rubbish for all I know.)

But yeah, wouldn't mind going back there.

benjybars

village elder.
Yeah, great thread! I'd forgotten all about it.

I had a cool time a while back in this funny place on Shacklewell Lane that was two venues in one; a club playing really good tasteful (meaning actually tasteful, not boring) techno - good sound, nice atmosphere, mature-ish crowd (not kids, I mean), not super-druggy, loadsa girls - and the other bit was this West Indian pub, with reggae/dancehall/lover's rock on the stereo at conversation-friendly volume and Mount Gay rum and Dragon Stout at the bar. And possibly the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in my life shooting a mean game of pool. :) (Well, I say that...I wasn't really watching the game, she could have been rubbish for all I know.)

But yeah, wouldn't mind going back there.

haha. where is this place Tea? it actually sounds perfect

computer_rock

shacklewell arms is quality. will say one thing tho and that's the bar area is way too brightly lit, especially if you're stepping out the backroom ambience into it

woops

is not like other people
there used to be this place off shaftsbury avenue i used to go to years ago, you needed a laminate card to get in, 3 story building with a place to buy weed up the top

happy eddie's comedy café? right by centre point, no laminate though
got a shake down there in 2000

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Did a thing at this squat in Bermondsey last week that I'd recommend if it's doing other things, big factory space, music was rubbish (including us) but they had a huge galleon in the middle of it; a pirate ship. It felt well 80s Mutoid parties, and was very relaxed, none of the Runts or anything turned up.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

Was it that place near the big pub on the corner? The one with the dodgy guys outside? i kinda got vague memories of that. There used to be a good club on Charing Cross Road in the 80s around there too, on the opposite side. Up some stairs. Not Milch, further down. God knows lol.

benjybars

village elder.
Did a thing at this squat in Bermondsey last week that I'd recommend if it's doing other things, big factory space, music was rubbish (including us) but they had a huge galleon in the middle of it; a pirate ship. It felt well 80s Mutoid parties, and was very relaxed, none of the Runts or anything turned up.

pirate ships in raves is always a big look..

benjybars

village elder.

pirate ships in raves is always a big look..

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
There's a good afterhours venue in south london at the moment, disused pub, (can't say no more) it's great coz you can drink and smoke like in a propa pub. ;) Nice tasty rig in the basement. It was probably a crap pub when it was open for real but now it feels like a really good mad lock in.

woops

is not like other people
Was it that place near the big pub on the corner? The one with the dodgy guys outside? i kinda got vague memories of that. There used to be a good club on Charing Cross Road in the 80s around there too, on the opposite side. Up some stairs. Not Milch, further down. God knows lol.

Was a doorway right on Charing Cross Road, the block right next to centre point. Three floors up and as mentioned, there was a club type space with pool and Brazilian coffee. Somehow I only got let in there once though, maybe I needed a laminate?

woops

is not like other people
'Margin' sounds like a genre if you ask me, like 'Niche'
Continuum minded types to thread

mms

sometimes

nah this was a massive 3 story warehouse, it was closed down aggressively with a big armed police raid that got on the telly, run by all black crew.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
threads gone quite mad, somethings gone wrong with the programming.
there used to be loads of central london afterhours joints - one near the spainish bar off oxford street, you had to ask for pepe at the door

crofton

the place on charing x rd was the backbeat club. my mate was there when it was raided. about 98 ish ? i think.