gumdrops

weirdly i have just truly *gotten into* dubstep. i always liked various odd tunes here and there but i recently listened to early dmz stuff and finally thought 'yeah this is great'. find this stuff more interesting personally than a lot of the wobbling, ponderous stuff personally. more speedy, animated, not just wallowing in its own 'let me try and scare you' elements. i must go back and get more stuff before dubstep settled into its current pattern... although saying that i have also developed a fondness for how dubstep producers are micro-tweaking the existing template now and doing small things that deviate from the format. and i just love heavy bass so im a sucker for that. although i wish it did actually develop and now just stick with the downtempo sounding stuff - theres one beat on that recent spooky set which has this mentally heavy bass but its super fast and aggressive. really brilliant...

its funny how both grime and dubstep have both tried to purge the garagier aspects of the music over the last few years and ended up being more like hip hop redux or dub redux.

Last edited:

Paul Hotflush

techno head
Hotflush autumn release schedule....

September:

SCUBA010 - DZ: Slums Dub / Strong on Ya (12")
HF017 - Vaccine: Breathless / Side Effects (12")
HFRMX002 - Toasty: Angel (Si Begg remix) / Elemental: Sparkle (Boxcutter remix) (12")

October:

HFCD001 - Hotflush presents... Space & Time (unmixed cd)
1. Jazzsteppa - 'One' listen here
2. Vaccine - Fever listen here
3. Scuba - Out There listen here
4. Boxcutter - Philly
5. Intex Systems - DS4 listen here
6. Scuba - Inmost listen here
7. Elemental - Raw Material
8. Toasty - The Knowledge (Vex'd dub mix)
9. Gravious - Subterfuge listen here
10. Boxcutter - Infraviolet
11. Slaughter Mob - No Big Deal
12. Vaccine - Wishful Thinking VIP
13. Toasty - Angel (Si Begg remix)
14. Elemental - Sparkle (Boxcutter remix)

+ 9 track 3xvinyl version

HF018 - Boxcutter: Philly / Endothermic / Infraviolet (12")

November:

SCUBA011 - Nyabingi: Bionicle / Shamanu (12") listen here

Plus there's a couple more TBC, will update when ready...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I hope everyone is going to DMZ this weekend - the line-up is surprisingly fresh and forward thinking. It should be really, really good.

I basically need a good dubstep night right now to reinvigorate my interest in the genre.

Line-up (as I remember it):
DMZ + Loefah
Kode 9
Oneman
Gothtrad
Geiom

No N Type, Skream, Benga, Chef or Youngsta to be found!!!!

elgato

I just dont know
really wish i could but im out of the city :/ should be awesome though. oneman will terrorise it im sure

as an aside i've got to say that i would never be unhappy to see Chef on any bill, i think he's one of the most open-minded and best djs in the scene

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
really wish i could but im out of the city :/ should be awesome though. oneman will terrorise it im sure

as an aside i've got to say that i would never be unhappy to see Chef on any bill, i think he's one of the most open-minded and best djs in the scene

If by "best dj" you mean "dj who used to play semi-interesting dubstep mixed with grime who then ditched anything resembling grime to play solely dubstep tracks that every other big dj is playing mixed with shitty 'specials' where some ho from the bits sings 'cheeeeeoooeoeeef' out of key over the entire track".... then i would agree.

viktorvaughn

What's the deal with Oneman? Who is he, what does he play etc.

I've started to hate the word 'dubstep' itself a bit. Not sure why, but it just seems so rubbish compared to 'Grime', 'Jungle' etc

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Oneman generally on a very energetic tip. Lots of 2-step and more lively dubstep with quick mixing and cutting.

he doesn't play much new stuff these days.. bits and bobs, but he also plays grime instrumentals and a lot of 2005 dubstep

as for chef, I'm with elgato... you won't find many of the other big DJs playing people like toasty, peverelist, silkie etc.. he's one of the only people brave enough to drop Distance's sick 130bpm tune in the middle of a set too.

he doesn't play much grime anymore though, that much is true. but he's heavy. and his specials are jokes.

adruu

This Is It
i like the term eski, wish that would have stuck!!!! =)

so what sort of gems is blackdown holding? new burial? some pathbreaking new keysound maybe? curious minds hunger...

viktorvaughn

i like the term eski, wish that would have stuck!!!! =)

so what sort of gems is blackdown holding? new burial? some pathbreaking new keysound maybe? curious minds hunger...

Nah, Grime is better than Eski! I like the idea of an eskibeat sub-tradition within the parent genre though. It fantastically evokes Wiley earlier productions. There is nothing really arctic about, say, the beats of Rapid or Alias though.

Same for 'sublow'. Brilliant name to describe a Grime sub-genre pushed by a few specific people. Some incredible tunes were made under the sublow banner.

Grime is miles better than 'dubstep' though which sounds kinda geeky and vaguely misleading. The best genre names should leave people none the wiser about the music when they hear them. Some kind of mystic element.

elgato

I just dont know
both those things adruu. one new Burial tune was astounding, so stripped, so deep, with this amazing vocal line that put me in mind of todd edwards. kind of vocoded and fluid, wrapped around the rhythms. and uplifting! so uplifting.

as for Chef, as Ben says, he plays tunes that most of that lot wouldnt even look twice at, and brings balanced sets full of energy, depth and variety. he plays rough, wobbly, deep, soulful, technoid, ethereal, all sides of the sound. and he champions tunes that no-one else does from that crew. and yeh, there is little that makes me smile more than hearing 'CHEFAL, CHEFAL, CHEFAL' over a drop and seeing him rocking behind the decks.

anyone who despairs at dubstep's removal from grime and garage will love Oneman. he's also technically one of the best djs in the scene imo, EZ, Plasticman kind of vibes on the mixing. it'll be interesting to see whether he tames the variety a bit for DMZ though

elgato

I just dont know
yeh the word dubstep irritates me a lot nowadays, i think its a lot to do with association though, hearing it too much out of the mouths of batemen etc... 'yah im really getting into this new thing, dubstep, its like SO hot right now'. seeing enough people on facebook deleting 'dnb' from favourite music and replacing with 'dubstep'

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
he doesn't play much new stuff these days.. bits and bobs, but he also plays grime instrumentals and a lot of 2005 dubstep

this is why i think he's so great haha ;) yeah he plays some nice old 2step alongside the grime and dubstep, he's a badman dj, no wonder he's getting so many bookings.

i'm actually going to reach dmz for the first time all year this time.. kode and oneman swung it for me.

oh and MY GOD HOW BORING ARE THE FWD LINE-UPS THESE DAYS??

it's like they're not even trying. blackdown must've been the token 'interesting' choice for the whole of the rest of the year or something.

oh and who else is stupidly excited about tes la rok visiting these shores???

Blackdown

nexKeysound
some people say Tes La Rok is the king of the cloners, with his own "versions" of Request Line, I remix etc etc. Can't say that fills me with enthusiasm...