elgato

I just dont know
He means that the fact that the name sounds geeky is entirely appropriate (i.e. dubstep is geeky). Which I think is true of a lot of the ‘scene’ / punters, and some fringe producers, but not at all of the central crews

UFO over easy

online mahjong
lol, dissensus smilies don't allow for subtleties at all. subvert central should teach them a trick or two.. not sad, just vague, amused embarassment

maybe this one would've been better :slanted: or :p

viktorvaughn

He means that the fact that the name sounds geeky is entirely appropriate (i.e. dubstep is geeky). Which I think is true of a lot of the ‘scene’ / punters, and some fringe producers, but not at all of the central crews

I didn't mean to imply that suggesting lots of dubstep scenesters were geeky (as indeed they are) was misleading. I meant that the 'dub' bit was misleading. What a tangle.

adruu

This Is It
distance can do some breathtaking stuff, if someone seems him buy him a drink for No Sunshine, send me a scan of the reciept and i will reimburse =)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'd just like to say that after reading the extremely embarassing thread on dubstepforum about grime's "ban" from Rinse FM, the new converts to the dubstep scene that have deluded everyone into thinking dubstep is going to take over the world are almost certainly going to be its downfall.

The difference between dubstep "youngers" and grime youngers are that the new dubsteppers seem to be entirely content with idol worship and the way things are while grime youngers want to take over, change and challenge the game.

To me this fully explains dubstep's creative stagnation despite its increased fanbase, and grime's new vitality despite being considered "washed up" by a lot of people not directly involved in it.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Not sure what you are getting at Sick, I see a lot of annoyance on there about the 'ban'. Or is that what you mean? :slanted:

Anyway, what happened with Distance? Did he knock someone's tooth out with a record Shawn Of The Dead style? The account on that thread makes very little sense.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Lots of people are annoyed but there are a few who are talking some serious shit.

The Ghetto vs. Distance clash was a stupid question that someone was taking the piss out of.

Which MCs went on Distance's show though?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
To me this fully explains dubstep's creative stagnation despite its increased fanbase, and grime's new vitality despite being considered "washed up" by a lot of people not directly involved in it.
I'm normally really anti the whole scene elitism / "kids on the dancefloor don't know what's good for them" attitude, but the wobbleification of dubstep is really making me think an awful lot of people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a nightclub.

For instance Benny Ill complained in one of the bitching and moaning about the state of dubstep threads on DSF that if he trys to play deeper or garageier stuff, people come up to him and say "what is this bollocks, when are you going to play some dubstep?" To Benny Ill. "Thanks for the innovations that made the genre what it is today, now don't deviate from the same wub wub wub template all night or we're off." Fucksake.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
The difference between dubstep "youngers" and grime youngers are that the new dubsteppers seem to be entirely content with idol worship and the way things are while grime youngers want to take over, change and challenge the game.

erm, are you basing that on anything other than 6 or 7 idiots on dubstep forum?

superimposing the words of 0.00005% of the scene 'youngers' onto everyone else is not a good look

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
erm, are you basing that on anything other than 6 or 7 idiots on dubstep forum?

superimposing the words of 0.00005% of the scene 'youngers' onto everyone else is not a good look

No, I'm basing it on the blatantly huge demand for dubstep in its present form, which is inarguably the result of a lot of newcomers judging by the size of the crowds at dubstep raves now.

That thread just got me thinking about it.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
No, I'm basing it on the blatantly huge demand for dubstep in its present form, which is inarguably the result of a lot of newcomers judging by the size of the crowds at dubstep raves now.

well, yes, there is huge demand for dubstep now... and there didn't used to be... so current popularity must be down to new listeners. self-evident truth. some of them like grime, some of them don't.

so what exactly are you saying? how could it possibly be otherwise? when you started listening to dubstep, had you the same knowledge of the genre as those who'd been into it for five years?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
well, yes, there is huge demand for dubstep now... and there didn't used to be... so current popularity must be down to new listeners. self-evident truth. some of them like grime, some of them don't.

so what exactly are you saying? how could it possibly be otherwise? when you started listening to dubstep, had you the same knowledge of the genre as those who'd been into it for five years?
There seems to be a difference now, though, that a lot of people who got into dubstep a few years ago had neophile tendancies and were feeling it because of the variety and depth of the sound as well as the weight, and would really go mental if a DJ played something totally different and off the wall. There are still a lot of people like that getting into it, but there are also a lot of people with more conservative tastses who just want to hear a succession of increasingly heavy wobbles each dropping the same way all night and feel cheated if the DJ's mix it up a bit or play something deeper and more meditative. It's not so much about lack of knowledge as having a ridiculously blinkered view of what dubstep should be.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos

No, I didn't. But when I got into it, the scene wasn't stagnating.

Let me go through it again, painfully:

- There were some shits on dubstepforum who said something somewhat unrelated to what I'm saying now
- This got me thinking
- Dubstep is bigger than it was
- Grime is smaller than it was
- Dubstep is starting to stagnate in terms the variety and creativity from previous years
- Grime is experiencing a new vitality

---> I assume that this is because many of the newcomers must have similar "keep things as they are" attitude of the previously mentioned DSF shitheads, whereas grime newcomers, whilst also a lot of the time disrespectful shitheads, are actually disrespectful in the sense they want to take over and change things.

So I based an observation on that.

Sorry to anyone else who had to read that.

just flying in to say

that 2562 release is out in mp3 form (and wav) across legal download sites

dunno if that's old or new info

*shrugs*

thanks for all these set links - been listening to a load. the music still bores me generally but there is the odd one or two murkers...that can't be denied