mms

sometimes
Is that a bad thing? Surely one of the things that gives the continuum its vitality is how quickly things move forward. A producer makes some radically different music with a few different influences, someone else does the same based on that producer, etc etc etc exponential growth to the extent that the music rapidly becomes unrecognisable to what came before it. I mean, the sort of UKG sounds I guess you're talking about was what was going on about 6 years ago (at least!) - couldn't you level exactly this critcism at no u turn with respect to 1992 hardcore? 'Ah mate, all this stuff is so fast now, and it's so dark! It sounds nothing like old Moving Shadow.' Completely different music with only the most tentative links to each other - and that's only 4 years apart, maybe even three. Is it really such a surprise that dubstep of 2007 doesn't sound much like Groove Chronicles anymore? And more to the point, would you really want it to?

However, having said all that, I would rather listen to almost any big name DJ out there other than Hatcha, and I've felt like that for a good long time

yes it is a bad thing as the music was good and now on the whole isn't, it's very boring.
no u turn also wasn't the only choice at the time it came out, whilst stiff halfstep wobblers pretty much are.
no ones asking for groove chronicles they're just asking for better music and whilst groove chronicles is better music people want a continuum and development rather than a flattening out.

viktorvaughn

Whenever i see Youngsta at FWD the first 15 mins or so I think, ho hum, bit plodding, the naysayers are onto something. Then he ups the tempo a bit and does a few brilliant mixes and it totally rekindles the magic. What a great DJ.

Liking D1's hand in the air Dubstep direction though he is obviously no where near Yunx technically.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
no ones asking for groove chronicles they're just asking for better music and whilst groove chronicles is better music people want a continuum and development

It is a continuum, and it is development, whether you like it or not. Sorry if it's the wrong direction. You should write Skream a letter.

mms said:
no u turn also wasn't the only choice at the time it came out, whilst stiff halfstep wobblers pretty much are.

nonsense.

mos dan

fact music
It is a continuum, and it is development, whether you like it or not. Sorry if it's the wrong direction. You should write Skream a letter.

*draws for the quill and ink* ;)

all i know is the only sets on saturday that i didn't find pertty tedious were kode9's (the future) and oneman's (the past). the inbetween bit (the present) was less good.

i'm probably being a bit facetious aren't i.. there's plenty of good stuff out now. just a fair amount of crap as well, threatening to drown it out.

mos dan

fact music
I missed Geiom! We turned up late alas. Describe for me..? :)

What was the fuss about Gothtrad, can someone explain why that was 'the best new thing in dubstep for ages' like everyone seemed to be saying? I thought he was, yknow, okay. But what do I know lol...

Kode9 schmmmmmmmmacked it like he has done every time this year, I should reiterate. That emphasis of drum over bass just stood out a mile in the bass swamp..

Also I blogged a bit about Oneman, if anyone wants to know..

http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/2007/09/woofah-oneman.html

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I missed Geiom! We turned up late alas. Describe for me..? :)

he was really good.. took it extremely deep. almost all his own stuff, taken from an album he has coming out soonish. lots of efnik vocals. a few old berkane sol favourites, some bass clef, and he played Learn as well which was nice.

mos dan said:
What was the fuss about Gothtrad. I thought he was, yknow, okay. But what do I know lol...

I really didn't like that set one bit, so I went outside for a lot of it. I needed to get my head together at that point though so that could've been it, but saying that I don't really like the deep medi release either. Respect to him for lugging that mixer around with him though.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
he was really good.. took it extremely deep. almost all his own stuff, taken from an album he has coming out soonish. lots of efnik vocals. a few old berkane sol favourites, some bass clef, and he played Learn as well which was nice.

yeah that sounds pretty good! anyone who plays 'learn' gets my vote in any case. doot-do-de-der-da-de-der-da-derrrr... it's kind of like 'night' in that it's distinctly hummable..

mms

sometimes
oh one of the goth trad tracks on the deep medi is great i think, that strange unmetered japanese thing with rhythms, and a real improvised feel.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
goth trad didn't do too much for me. the breakdowns were interesting but when the drops came all it was, was bass immersion so that everything else was lost and there was no variation but sub. difficult to see what he was doing 'live' either. still, gimme that over the wobble-gnarl guys anyday :p

elgato

I just dont know
I think its worth noting here the degree to which Peverelist is killing it right now. For me he’s probably the most on-it producer in dubstep at the moment. Roll With The Punches, Infinity Is Now, the Pole remix, Die Brucke, and of course The Grind and Erstwhile Riddim… absolutely sick. I reckon he's involved in that mystery track that Gutterbreakz went nuts for too. But Roll With The Punches in particular I think is completely next, such beautiful emotion.

He plays a set containing all of the above here - http://www.sendspace.com/file/5at894

nomos

Administrator
yeah peverelist is doing really impressive work. it's a very fresh take on the whole thing.

punch drunk 5 is going to be a huge one with 'roll with the punches' and 'die brucke.'

gumdrops

how did 'dubplate drama' on channel 4 become DUBSTEP drama?! lol. (i wonder if the series name has changed too or if thats just the new compilation name).

viktorvaughn

how did 'dubplate drama' on channel 4 become DUBSTEP drama?! lol. (i wonder if the series name has changed too or if thats just the new compilation name).

A friend of my sisters had to go and pick up Big Narstie from Essex in a little hired Nissan Micra every day. Will see if there were any comedy stories.

mms

sometimes

fuck me you're smug.
Current state of dubstep isn't a development in the true sense of the word though is it?
It hasn't developed at all along a continnum in the straight forward sense.
Development means producers and next generation of producers building on and contrast / add to what came before within the genre or contrasting with grime etc..
What seems to have happened is a crossover with the wishes and production values of another audience who have maybe come in from current d and b and techno .
Sure there is development but it's the same people who have always been developing their sound, and its almost pushed them into isolation and a bit of creative rut apart from a few. There are some good producers but more and more they are distancing themselves from the demands of the dubstep dancefloor, when was the last really good loefah or mala tune you heard, new one?

Last edited: