Dusty

Tone deaf
For instance Benny Ill complained in one of the bitching and moaning about the state of dubstep threads on DSF that if he trys to play deeper or garageier stuff, people come up to him and say "what is this bollocks, when are you going to play some dubstep?" To Benny Ill. "Thanks for the innovations that made the genre what it is today, now don't deviate from the same wub wub wub template all night or we're off." Fucksake.

do people actually do that?? Madness. Thats the death of dubstep right there in that one statement.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
do people actually do that?? Madness. Thats the death of dubstep right there in that one statement.
I think he was engaging in hyperbole to an extent. But then since when was it a surprise that some people don't know a good thing when they hear it.

Last edited:

joe narcossist

There seems to be a difference now, though, that a lot of people who got into dubstep a few years ago had neophile tendancies and were feeling it because of the variety and depth of the sound as well as the weight, and would really go mental if a DJ played something totally different and off the wall. There are still a lot of people like that getting into it, but there are also a lot of people with more conservative tastses who just want to hear a succession of increasingly heavy wobbles each dropping the same way all night and feel cheated if the DJ's mix it up a bit or play something deeper and more meditative. It's not so much about lack of knowledge as having a ridiculously blinkered view of what dubstep should be.

I'd say that hits the nail on the head. When I was introduced to the music it was fresh to the majority of people, spoken about with excitement by the kind of active searchers who you listen to when they think they've found something new. I hate hipster (or whatever the correct term is) politics but it seems the increase in popularity of dubstep has created a large fanbase comprised of heads that have decided what little they know is fact, and insist upon acting in the precious and tedious manner that is so grating to see/read.

Blackdown keeps writing about "signal to noise" and to continue his analogy its just a shame theres so much noise as there is alot of interesting music recieving very little attention.

Has anyone heard the Rusty - Jagz the Smack EP? reminds me of Joker's productions, really colourful stuff.

Last edited:

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
Has anyone heard the Rusty - Jagz the Smack EP? reminds me of Joker's productions, really colourful stuff.

gave his stuff a try after boomkat spunked all over that EP a couple of weeks ago - not too enamoured with that particular record, but he's got a load of (as yet) unreleased stuff that's pretty damn great. give a listen to his mix on the north/south divide podcast - great stuff, the first track 'response' is probably the best thing he's done so far. nice to hear someone with that style messing around with different tempos as well.

as for joker... when the fuck can i get my hands on gully brook lane/retro racer... been fiending for those tracks for an age :mad:

mms

sometimes
I think he was engaging in hyperbole to an extent. But then since when was it a surprise that some people don't know a good thing when they hear it.

i can properly believe that statement from benny ill.
dubstep has really disavowed alot of it's roots.
Its just the same idiots that make any music incredibly ridgid, angry and boring, i've been around and seen it in almost all the scenes i've been into in my 17 year or so raving career.
They're usually between 19-23 male white shaven headed weed smokers the guys that only get malevolent aggression as a form of expression.

Last edited:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
All this is nothing new but it does seem like Dubstep has trapped itself in the corner just now and this is only a factor that it's easy to copy and there's more P and D deals available than there actually should be. Plus, the wub wub, that drum beat and a vocal sample plus anyone with a copy of Reason and you're away or so it would seem but like with techno the strong/creative will always win out cos there's only so many times you can hear the same thing over and over - although Stay Up Forever are still going for some reason :) IMHO there's been a lot of weak samey releases and some stuff that shouldn't have made it off peoples hard disks but in the scrabble people have end up putting out loads of noise. We hardly buy any stuff these days and defo only buy a few artists on sight, the rest get properly tested before purchase.

Last edited:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master

They do it at techno nights as well, I got handed this note while spinning Inner City's Good Life in Cardiff - I've never laughed so much in my life...

443354309_1dbf2cfbe3.jpg

Last edited:

stormfield

nohjin
They do it at techno nights as well, I got handed this note while spinning Inner City's Good Life in Cardiff - I've never laughed so much in my life...

443354309_1dbf2cfbe3.jpg

A friend was DJing some James Brown records in a pub. A bird walked up and asked him "have you got anything funky?"

what can one say...

sorry back to the topic

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
re: joker - I think gully brook lane and retro racer are coming out on terrorrhythm... so that probably means 'never'

I am hurting to get my hands on that vinyl.''Gully Brook'' is this years ''Request Line'' in terms of it being a track that bridges the Dubstep/Grime divide.I hope it crosses over on a broader scale in the way that Skream's track did.

I had a listen to Hatcha's show on Kiss last night for the first time in while.Most of what he played was totally without swing.A lot of the new producers seem to have no grasp of the 'step' in Dubstep.Much of the set was plodding in the extreme.The tempos also seem to be creeping up in an attempt to inject some excitement.Not a good thing.It's becoming increasingly hard to place this stuff as an offshoot of the UK Garage sound.

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

UFO over easy

online mahjong
It's becoming increasingly hard to place this stuff as an offshoot of the UK Garage sound.

Is that a bad thing? Surely one of the things that gives the continuum its vitality is how quickly things move forward. A producer makes some radically different music with a few different influences, someone else does the same based on that producer, etc etc etc exponential growth to the extent that the music rapidly becomes unrecognisable to what came before it. I mean, the sort of UKG sounds I guess you're talking about was what was going on about 6 years ago (at least!) - couldn't you level exactly this critcism at no u turn with respect to 1992 hardcore? 'Ah mate, all this stuff is so fast now, and it's so dark! It sounds nothing like old Moving Shadow.' Completely different music with only the most tentative links to each other - and that's only 4 years apart, maybe even three. Is it really such a surprise that dubstep of 2007 doesn't sound much like Groove Chronicles anymore? And more to the point, would you really want it to?

However, having said all that, I would rather listen to almost any big name DJ out there other than Hatcha, and I've felt like that for a good long time

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Is that a bad thing? Surely one of the things that gives the continuum its vitality is how quickly things move forward. A producer makes some radically different music with a few different influences, someone else does the same based on that producer, etc etc etc exponential growth to the extent that the music rapidly becomes unrecognisable to what came before it. I mean, the sort of UKG sounds I guess you're talking about was what was going on about 6 years ago (at least!) - couldn't you level exactly this critcism at no u turn with respect to 1992 hardcore? 'Ah mate, all this stuff is so fast now, and it's so dark! It sounds nothing like old Moving Shadow.' Completely different music with only the most tentative links to each other - and that's only 4 years apart, maybe even three. Is it really such a surprise that dubstep of 2007 doesn't sound much like Groove Chronicles anymore? And more to the point, would you really want it to?

However, having said all that, I would rather listen to almost any big name DJ out there other than Hatcha, and I've felt like that for a good long time

Good point,I would rather the music evolved than stagnate,even if I may not be totally sold on the resulting direction.I have been hearing more of that UKG flavour in [funky] house tunes recently,so my ears have been diverted away for a while.

I will have to pay attention to some other DJs and get a better overall picture of whats out there.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Good point,I would rather the music evolved than stagnate,even if I may not be totally sold on the resulting direction.
The problem at the moment seems to be that in the stuff that's making waves with punters, the music isn't going from heavy plod + noticeable garagey bits to heavy plod + some cool new stuff, it's going from heavy plod + noticeable garagey bits to heavy plod + very little else.

joe narcossist

Isn't the problem more about lack rythmn than lack of garage influence or signifiers? Groove or swing isn't exclusive to garage, Loefah's lastest tracks seem to have more in common with hip-hop than garage rythmically but that doesn't mean they plod, at least not to my ears.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I am hurting to get my hands on that vinyl.''Gully Brook'' is this years ''Request Line'' in terms of it being a track that bridges the Dubstep/Grime divide.I hope it crosses over on a broader scale in the way that Skream's track did.

I had a listen to Hatcha's show on Kiss last night for the first time in while.Most of what he played was totally without swing.A lot of the new producers seem to have no grasp of the 'step' in Dubstep.Much of the set was plodding in the extreme.The tempos also seem to be creeping up in an attempt to inject some excitement.Not a good thing.It's becoming increasingly hard to place this stuff as an offshoot of the UK Garage sound.

Joker is a top producer, can't believe he's not released more records or got a bigger reputation... cos not only does he sit in the sweet spot betwixt Grime and Dubstep, but he has an exceptionally melodic dramatic pop-like sensibility (even more so than Skream probably).

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Ben UFO: Just listening now- your accompanying essay is really good btw...

Is the track that comes in at 04:40 the Untold track? Whatever it is its pretty crazed stuff, also bloody crisply engineered...

Last edited: