exercise?!?!

DannyL

Wild Horses
Well, if anyone thinks a 1 1/2 times BW deadlift is too much...

!!!!

Baboon: The Crossfit people encourage you to scale down the workouts to what you can handle, working at real minimums for a month or so and gradually scaling them up gradually. There seems to be a continuous balance between intensity and circumnaviagating injury/allowing recovery which you'd only hit by erring on the side of caution in a big way. They acknowledge that the posted workouts are for elite athletes only.

There's a really good PDF here called What is Fitness which is worth reading if you are interested.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html (Far right, middle box.)

mos dan

fact music
time to shape up those beer abs boys summer and all those gorgeous ladies at all nude swimming parties are just around the corner!!!

and to the dissensus women: we love you just the way you are. :D

i thought you lived in berlin, not the playboy mansion? or is everyone going to all nude swimming parties and just not inviting me?

well done idlerich!! forza dissensus! let's show them who's boss! etc.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"well done idlerich!! forza dissensus! let's show them who's boss! etc."
Thanks! However honesty demands that I should mention he turned the tables back on Tuesday unfortunately....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just to join in, I feel I should report that I beat my old chess buddy two games to one the other day. A clean check mate each, and he conceded one game when it was obvious I was about to reclaim my queen. VICTORY!

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Just to join in, I feel I should report that I beat my old chess buddy two games to one the other day. A clean check mate each, and he conceded one game when it was obvious I was about to reclaim my queen. VICTORY!"
Very good but surely that doesn't belong in the exercise thread?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Chessboxing?"
I read about that, seemed kind of cool. The idea being that if you are weaker at chess you may be able to break your opponent's concentration by giving him brain damage in the boxing bit. To me, to make that work you would need to put an awful lot of effort into calculating how much time should fairly be spent boxing and how much playing chess, I really don't know how you would get the balance right. Definitely an intriguing idea anyway.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It's not just an idea - it's a reality. There's a World Championships in it, as far as I know."
I know it's a reality, that doesn't stop the idea being intriguing does it? What I'm saying is, I wonder how they calculated the time allocated to each bit because presumably altering the ratios slightly would lead to a totally different person becoming champion. I hope they spent a lot of time tweaking it to make sure that you had to be proficient in each field to win.

mixed_biscuits

I know it's a reality, that doesn't stop the idea being intriguing does it? What I'm saying is, I wonder how they calculated the time allocated to each bit because presumably altering the ratios slightly would lead to a totally different person becoming champion. I hope they spent a lot of time tweaking it to make sure that you had to be proficient in each field to win.

Whatever, Trevor - don't try to cover up your embarrassing ignorance of minority composite sports now, it's too late. ;)

I think they aimed to include just enough boxing to keep the nerds from winning.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Whatever, Trevor - don't try to cover up your embarrassing ignorance of minority composite sports now, it's too late"
Them's fighting words, you're heading for a game of Ludo/Ultimate Fighting mate.

zhao

there are no accidents
i thought you lived in berlin, not the playboy mansion? or is everyone going to all nude swimming parties and just not inviting me?

well done idlerich!! forza dissensus! let's show them who's boss! etc.

there are loads of those in berlin! as stuffy as the krauts can be i've found there to be a large proportion who are not squeamish about nudity. which, of course, is to be commended.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
there are loads of those in berlin! as stuffy as the krauts can be i've found there to be a large proportion who are not squeamish about nudity. which, of course, is to be commended.

Kirchner_Bathers_at_Mortizburg_1909.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
that acually looks Fauve rather than the German Expressionism it must be. could be an early Cezanne... but it's prolly early kandanski or kirchener.

martin

----
I tried boxing on the weekend, apart from nearly dying (I've done no exercise except walking and darts for the past 3 years) it was great. Only now, my arms feel like I've been stabbed in the armpits, just putting on a T-shirt is agony, and my body's still aching all over. Mind you, it's a piece of piss getting to sleep now...
So just wondering if anyone on here boxes and, if so, any standard regular types of exercise you'd recommend?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I tried boxing on the weekend, apart from nearly dying (I've done no exercise except walking and darts for the past 3 years) it was great. Only now, my arms feel like I've been stabbed in the armpits, just putting on a T-shirt is agony, and my body's still aching all over. Mind you, it's a piece of piss getting to sleep now...
So just wondering if anyone on here boxes and, if so, any standard regular types of exercise you'd recommend?

I meant to ge tinto doing some boxing training, but was worried about (a) terminal embarrassment and (b) terminal, er, death.

Where did you go for a beginners' class? I tried kickboxing a couple of times and that almost killed me, so I'm keen to have a near-death experience again.