Rustie

UFO over easy

online mahjong
something being wonky is just a vibe to me. to me it just means "a bit fucked"

that lead synth and pitch shifting ludacris verse are definitely wonked out. what a sick sick tune

Last edited:

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
exactly seems if you said wonky two years ago , that would be reffering to the post dilla/bump thing, which at least is more specific.......

but thats just it , i agree wonky is being used to mean a bit fucked.......but isnt that what one means when you say "that tune is sick" ....hence its really just like saying , "that tune is good." i mean im not interested in beats that lare niether "sick"nor off key nor wonky nor mashed up etc etc

i think what im trying to say , is that it says so much about dubstep, sadly, that now any sort of beat that is not rigid as fuck nor n type wobbley or has really colorful synths is suddenly in a box of some sort.......i resent that alot.

its kind of the same bullshit reversal with minimal techno , now people are going on about maximal etc etc i mean for fucks sake its just going to be an endless loop if you get sucked into that crap and i really feel its not giving the producers enough credit.......

i mean if interesting structure/colourful synths/inventive drum programming= wonky , then does that not make everything from prefuse to kraftwerk to cybotron to ricardo villalobos to theo parrish to synthy funkadelic to whatever all wonky?¿ i just think its such a catch all phrase that it means practically nothing.......

Blackdown

nexKeysound
wonky for me is the use of pitchbent synths. but i think there's too much diversity and creativity with synths right now to pin it down to one specific characteristic - that's something that should be cherished.

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
"fucked in no way necessarily means good."

agreed.

when i said using terms like sick , fucked up , mashed etc etc meaning good , i didnt mean that from a music obssesive point of view, just reffering to when mates or buddies just refer to stuff on the radio as sick or twisted or whatever the hell it is people are saying in north acton these days..... bec of course, i do agree, fucked up does not nesc mean good , otherwise gabba would be the greatest thing on earth......

just trying to put across the view that , the excessive usage of the word wonky is getting really grating..... as it now means nothing to me when i´m informed that a tune is "wonky"......... it could be anything really.......

won·ky (wngk)
adj. won·ki·er, won·ki·est Chiefly British
1. Shaky; feeble.
2. Wrong; awry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Probably alteration of dialectal wanky, alteration of wankle, from Middle English wankel, from Old English wancol, unsteady.]

i think i´d use it describe the manner in which an old, haggard, drunk and bearded sailor sang on board a 19th century scurvy ridden boat.......perhaps..

faustus

Neil Landstrumm's mix on Electronic Explorations has a certain wonkyness to it - anyone else feeling it?

the ramadanman one recently was wicked! hessle are turning into my favourite label which i know is a bit ridiculous seeing as they've only had 3 releases. (but the mix is a bit ruined by the robot voice 'jingle' that gets played about 100 times)

ramadanman

Neil Landstrumm's mix on Electronic Explorations has a certain wonkyness to it - anyone else feeling it?

the ramadanman one recently was wicked! hessle are turning into my favourite label which i know is a bit ridiculous seeing as they've only had 3 releases. (but the mix is a bit ruined by the robot voice 'jingle' that gets played about 100 times)

lol sorry about that. i've had tunes of mine ripped from myspace and included in mixes before. call it paranoid, but i'm sorry that a 2 second robot voice kills the mix.

faustus

call it paranoid, but i'm sorry that a 2 second robot voice kills the mix.

it's just i'm scared of robots... :)

t_lantern_ama.jpg

exoticpylon said:
neil landstrumm is at plex @ corsica studios south london (elephant&castle) on friday.

which is nice

he's also playing corsica studios in May for the Planet Mu 200 'do' - the line-up is pretty cool

tom pr

on sunday I heard Rustie's remix of 'In the Blood' by new Warp lot Pivot, and loved it. it's on his myspace and i reckon is the heaviest thing i've heard from him...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
off topic but Pivot are playing a London show organised by a ridiculously eclectic promoting group called Tape This! quite soon - it's on at Bardens in stoke newington on april 25th

viktorvaughn

off topic but Pivot are playing a London show organised by a ridiculously eclectic promoting group called Tape This! quite soon - it's on at Bardens in stoke newington on april 25th

Bardens is five minutes away - who or what are Pivot and should I go and see them/it!?

I love that place as a venue and Saul Williams was amazing there, but they seem to have really rubbish acts on all the time. I went to see Infinite Livez (whose album I like) and he was pretty terrible.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Bardens is five minutes away - who or what are Pivot and should I go and see them/it!?

haha, I always call it bardens too.. bardens boudoir sounds so appalling. almost competing with 'madame jojos' for most irritating venue name in london :D

Pivot seem cool, but I don't know very much about them. The promoters are friends and I checked 'em after reading that they were putting them on - just been signed to warp, they fit the label in its current form pretty well from the sounds of things considering their other recent signings. I just mentioned them because someone upthread mentioned the Rustie remix of one of their tunes, which is really cool. Have a gander on myspace!

Just to harp on a bit more about the promoters - they really are worth checking out as a group. They put on Death Set at bardens the other month, which was absolutely mental, and to completely flip it they did a Peter and the Wolf show at the luminaire last week. Good people for sure.

tom pr

I saw Pivot w/ White Denim and the Death Set last week, which was good. they're the sort of band that I'd have been way more into a few years ago but i'd recommend them, especially live where they use a lot more laptop effects and stuff. Death set are amazing but didnt play for long - was that the case when you saw them ben?

i think the process behind Pivot's music is interesting: i interviewed them on monday and until very recently the drummer and guitarist lived in aus, and the laptop/keyboardist lived in london, so they were sending the stuff back and forth online while awake at all hours of the night to compensate for time zones. and the London based one is really into Skream, Rustie, FlyLo - it was him who got warp to commision rustie for the remix...

Last edited: