Rinse FM Going Legit

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
ez guys, sorry to sound like an incompetent & misinformed idiot. But what is the diff between a Community License and say, a regular license? Is it just the area they can broadcast in/reach?

Mister Sloane answered this near the top of this page.

alex

Do not read this.
okay thanks!, just wondering though, does that mean it will finally become stereo aswell if it is granted a community license?

franz

okay thanks!, just wondering though, does that mean it will finally become stereo aswell if it is granted a community license?

that prolly just has to do with the transmitter. at the radio station i'm involved with i've been told that broadcasting in stereo greatly reduces your range... maybe even halves it? so small stations end up choosing between stereo and geographical coverage (doubtless the latter wins 9 times out of 10).

craner

Beast of Burden
How is the digital switchover going to affect the smaller pirates? Are there still lots of smaller pirates or not? There used to be loads at the height of jungle, 2-step and grime. Is this still the case? Just wondering, because it really interests me, I love radio pirates! But I've been out of the loop for a few years.

mms

sometimes
How is the digital switchover going to affect the smaller pirates? Are there still lots of smaller pirates or not? There used to be loads at the height of jungle, 2-step and grime. Is this still the case? Just wondering, because it really interests me, I love radio pirates! But I've been out of the loop for a few years.

interesting question but i don't think the digital switchover for radio is for years yet
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7470460.stm

massrock

Won't it just leave a load more room for analogue pirates anyway?

But shit, what will things look like in 2020? At the very least free wireless internet access will be ubiquitous.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
ez guys, sorry to sound like an incompetent & misinformed idiot. But what is the diff between a Community License and say, a regular license? Is it just the area they can broadcast in/reach?

You're not comin off sounding like that! It's all really blurry, from what I can tell, the company that operates a community license operates either as a not-for-profit or a charity, a normal license doesn't have any caps on its earnings. But even with a charity or not-for-profit, there are ways round that.

So it's not a stupid question and presumably is about reach as well. I'm only going on what I read - which wasn't much - when I was on Resonance and what I kinda know about business, if anyone else knows more let us know.

nomos

Administrator
Just saw this...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jun/16/digital-britain-analogue-radio-switchoff

All the UK's national radio stations and many local services will stop broadcasting on analogue by the end of 2015, according to ambitious switch-off targets unveiled by the government today.

The Digital Britain report, published today, said announced a "Digital Radio Upgrade" that would see services on national and local digital audio broadcasting (DAB) multiplexes stop broadcasting on analogue.

Vacated FM spectrum will be filled by a new tier of ultra-local radio consisting of small local commercial and community stations. Radio stations currently broadcasting on medium wave will upgrade to DAB.

That last bit is a surprise. I'd always heard that the vacated spectrum was being sold off to telcoms and the like.

Anyway, this one gets more into the complexities and confusion around switching over...
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/articles/Ofcom-refuses-to-fix-radio-switchover-date.php

craner

Beast of Burden
I was never a fan of pirates going online - thought it destroyed the locale-specific mystique and creative force. I still think that. But I'm happy that now I'm in Norwich I can still hear Deja Vu. So I'm all mixed up really. Never really cared for Rinse as much, for some reason. Kool should terminate itself, unfortunately.

Can anyone make a list of great pirates that only existed for as long as what they played? (i.e. great extinct jungle or 2-step pirates?) That would be fascinating!

What about a vote on the best London pirates of all time???

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
The license petition is very uninformative, it doesn't say anything about what license? I doubt a community one would do for them because legally it's only supposed to be a 5km radius although that can often go further e.g. resonancefm

I've just found OFcom invitation which says there 4 new licenses being issued. When the community licenses were handed out initially in '04 there were at least 20 other community groups who didn't get a license. Rinse would have to compete with them and it's unlikely they'd be chosen.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
The license petition is very uninformative, it doesn't say anything about what license? I doubt a community one would do for them because legally it's only supposed to be a 5km radius although that can often go further e.g. resonancefm

I've just found OFcom invitation which says there 4 new licenses being issued. When the community licenses were handed out initially in '04 there were at least 20 other community groups who didn't get a license. Rinse would have to compete with them and it's unlikely they'd be chosen.

(O/T) great show/blog wonk.

massrock

I was never a fan of pirates going online - thought it destroyed the locale-specific mystique and creative force.
A lot of them haven't been online that long have they, Rinse included. I remember it used to be someone running a server with a load of radio cards that may or may not be tuned in properly. :)

craner

Beast of Burden
Dunno, but I remember as far back as 2005 (chills!) mcs giving shout outs to listeners from Australia and such, and I didn't really like that. Too wide!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Dunno, but I remember as far back as 2005 (chills!) mcs giving shout outs to listeners from Australia and such, and I didn't really like that. Too wide!

I'm sure everyone else involved liked it just fine. I have bought thousands of dollars worth of grime and dubstep to date and, living in Canada, if I wasn't able to access the pirates online, I never would have gotten into either.

And believe me, it still is very much hermetic despite its global access. All those genres and DJs are still not anywhere as big in any other place in the world as they are in LDN.

alex

Do not read this.
And believe me, it still is very much hermetic despite its global access. All those genres and DJs are still not anywhere as big in any other place in the world as they are in LDN.

Agree. Also, reminiscent of other now-defunct pirates, I have a few. Temptation 102.4fm (I used to play on this when I was like 14/15, it was in Glenny Road in Barking, in the now torn down low rise, it was also in chadwell heath. I think when Temptaion was in glenny rd, rinse was in North Street.)

When it was in Chadwell Heath, temptation used to be in a shed upstairs & "Crews Control" used to be downstairs, they were only .2 of the dial apart. 102.4 and 102.2

good times.