minimal d'n'b

joe90

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Data+(15)

this chap is pretty much the definition of "minimal" d'n'b

definitely check out "splice / muted", "causeway / delicate" and "prologue ep"

He is pretty much the definition of a tribute band , he copy's d-bridge/instra:mental even down to sampling their beats:confused: .

But on a whole the therm 'minimal' dnb is cringworthy and its particularly annoying that lots of people were playing/making 'minimal' dnb as far back as 97 but it got zero attention... but then again hype comes in waves

Alfons

Way of the future
He is pretty much the definition of a tribute band , he copy's d-bridge/instra:mental even down to sampling their beats:confused: .

But on a whole the therm 'minimal' dnb is cringworthy and its particularly annoying that lots of people were playing/making 'minimal' dnb as far back as 97 but it got zero attention... but then again hype comes in waves

I'd say plenty of guys in 97 got plenty of attention for that... Photek being the most memorable example. I don't think anyone's actually calling it "minimal dnb", just the name of this thread...? Although Im of the opinion that this side of dnb should make a split in terms of name, maybe just take up jungle again.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Absolutely, Photek in his 97 Knitevision phase, Digital pre-2000 when he only put out one tune a year, early Polar (mind of a killer etc) and all the late Cert 18 stuff got, relatively speaking, loads of attention.

The big thing this year is simply that there is such a encouragingly high ratio of good music to bad and all built around this very cool, restrained but dark aesthetic. You can see that dubstep has had a big influence on how people coming up build their tunes and thats all for the good.

Plus autonomic podcast is one of the best packages around for regular musical entertainment.

This chap Felix K out of Berlin is coming up with some good tunes - his label Hidden Hawai is doing a lot and he has something coming on 31 records soon I think.

http://www.hiddenhawaii.net/

Last edited:

Ory

warp drive

yeah maybe, I just haven't heard much else with such a clipped sound. dbridge and instramental usually sound a lot "fuller".

bennythehands

homme vert
The big thing this year is simply that there is such a encouragingly high ratio of good music to bad and all built around this very cool, restrained but dark aesthetic. You can see that dubstep has had a big influence on how people coming up build their tunes and thats all for the good.

feelin that

Alfons

Way of the future
I actually don't really rate Marcus' productions that highly at all of late - ST Files has been doing some cracking solo stuff though, and Commix are always worth a listen; have you heard "Justified"? Beats are weak-sauce but it's a pretty heavenly slice of a roller...

yeah, maybe its not going to be marcus, Im just looking for someone who can combine this sort of deep / minimal vibe with a bit of fun in a way. Guess guys like Martsman and Randomer are doing just that but still...

grappa

yes, the minimal aesthetic is rinsed already

it's always been there in some way for years - lemon d 'break it up' :p

i think the dub will come back in, like it did with techno in berlin

breakage, serum, 0=0, amit will be interesting next year - mistical have something in the works too i believe :D

overall autonomic shit is v. tight though and is also the best look for drum & bass right now + skream, gilles peterson, scuba are all in it and they just got a show on rinse = more vintage synth geekery, nohomo manvocals and ketamine-pads please

grappa

yeah, maybe its not going to be marcus, Im just looking for someone who can combine this sort of deep / minimal vibe with a bit of fun in a way. Guess guys like Martsman and Randomer are doing just that but still...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

a different sort of minimal perhaps :)

Alfons

Way of the future

a different sort of minimal perhaps :)

different but pretty good, sounding great, is that Macc drumming?

tyranny

Oddly hyped that there's finally a thread about fresh DnB on here actually; and equally hyped that it seems to be fashionable to make "interesting" mainstream again, within DnB anyway... It's definitely not as though there has been a complete lack of music worth getting excited about before, but there seems to be a movement towards experimentation that even the formerly blandest journeymen producers and label owners are at least making vague concessions to.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away

:D