Ramleh (90s version with guitars)

john eden

male pale and stale
ramleh-flyer.jpg

classic flyer! :D

are you going, martin?

john eden

male pale and stale
oh yeah - has anyone still got the big David Keenan piece on Ramleh which was in the issue of The Wire with Mauritz Von Oswald on the cover?

I have stupidly recycled mine and would really like to read it again.

BSquires

Ha ha, this is great! I guess we're of a similar age, very funny.

I must get back to that series - there is a bit of a tail off as my music taste got better, but still some gems in there....

I've now got hold of Boeing and Switch Hitter courtesy of the nice people at Second Layer. The 10" is pretty great but Boeing is a surprisingly mainstream, still OK - will have to give it all due attention over time.

Yes, I've just turned forty (!) this year... Had a listen to 'Homeless' recently and although it wasn't quite as good as I remembered (what is) there was a pretty excellent guitar workout called 'Fagenders' I really enjoyed...

I still have the Ramleh feature from The Wire if you haven't tracked it down yet. If not let me know and I'll send you it...

john eden

male pale and stale
Well we are pretty much exactly the same age, then :D

Yes please on the Wire article. I've got some bits I can send in return like an interview with anthony di franco from adverse effect zine which is pretty good.

BSquires

Well we are pretty much exactly the same age, then :D

Yes please on the Wire article. I've got some bits I can send in return like an interview with anthony di franco from adverse effect zine which is pretty good.

:D indeed... I think I might have that interview with ADF, but I'll have a look over the weekend...

PM me your address and I'll stick The Wire in the post pronto...

philblackpool

gamelanstep
I've not been on here for a while & missed contributing to all this...My pal Simon has just put on the rock line-up in Blackpool, so hope everyone who was likely to go to that knew about it! (I missed it in the end cos I was ill - doh!). I agree with the bits about those 7"s being very good & the new 10" being good, & Boeing etc being surprisingly mainstream. The only PE thing I have by em is Elite Gymnastics, which is very good of its type I think. I also have Mr Mundy's Blind Alley CD, which is very enjoyable inna sorta similar guitary vein...

BSquires

Just got copies of the 'Hole in the Heart' 2CD re-issue and the new PE 'Valediction' CD. The 'Hole in the Heart' is pretty good - sits between the PE and the psych-style and near to the 'Grudge for Life' LP. Very strange sound - drones and synth/guitar noise with stacks of reverb and suitably distressed vocals... much better than I expected actually. I've not got into the new CD yet though...

John - still enjoying those 'first gigs' posts - I missed the SWANS Children of God gig at Manchester were I was at Uni due to funds/lack of gig buddy... I thought I'd see them next time - typically of course when I did catch them it was the folky pluckings of The Burnigg World Tour - not without its charms but I'd have preferred the more heavy material to be honest... Saw them again a couple of times during the later years including the last ever gig which was pretty good as well... As for the Buttholes never saw them but Locust Abortion Technician was the one! 1987 what a year ;-)

john eden

male pale and stale
Just got copies of the 'Hole in the Heart' 2CD re-issue and the new PE 'Valediction' CD. The 'Hole in the Heart' is pretty good - sits between the PE and the psych-style and near to the 'Grudge for Life' LP. Very strange sound - drones and synth/guitar noise with stacks of reverb and suitably distressed vocals... much better than I expected actually. I've not got into the new CD yet though...

John - still enjoying those 'first gigs' posts - I missed the SWANS Children of God gig at Manchester were I was at Uni due to funds/lack of gig buddy... I thought I'd see them next time - typically of course when I did catch them it was the folky pluckings of The Burnigg World Tour - not without its charms but I'd have preferred the more heavy material to be honest... Saw them again a couple of times during the later years including the last ever gig which was pretty good as well... As for the Buttholes never saw them but Locust Abortion Technician was the one! 1987 what a year ;-)

Oh that's good about "hole in the heart" - I was interested in that and the guy in Second Layer tried to "up-sell" me one when I got Boeing and the 10" but I resisted. Will check that out next time I get an inkling.

Yeah I quite liked "burning world" when it came out, but had no particular desire to see it done live... that Joy Division cover was pretty awful as well, wasn't it?

Glad you like the blog stuff - it's a lot of fun to do! Nice to reflect on all that stuff and reappraise the period - very fertile indeed...

john eden

male pale and stale
Played "Homeless" last night. It definitely has its moments - some really nice long instrumental tracks and then LIFT OFF when the ranty vocals come in after about half an hour.

Then lots of lo-fi dicking about for no obvious reason.

And a bizarre floaty closing number in which we are informed "everything is going to be ok" several times. Which is actually quite eerie, coming from Ramleh.

john eden

male pale and stale
No, the mag seems permanently delayed from what I've read.

I think it will come out eventually though.

back to Ramleh - "Slack Jaw" off the "Too Many Miles" comp is brilliant, as is most of the rest of it.

BSquires

Oh that's good about "hole in the heart" - I was interested in that and the guy in Second Layer tried to "up-sell" me one when I got Boeing and the 10" but I resisted. Will check that out next time I get an inkling.

Yeah I quite liked "burning world" when it came out, but had no particular desire to see it done live... that Joy Division cover was pretty awful as well, wasn't it?

Glad you like the blog stuff - it's a lot of fun to do! Nice to reflect on all that stuff and reappraise the period - very fertile indeed...

John - I've picked up the S.P.I.T.E. LP which appears to be a pre-Ramleh Gary Mundy power electronics solo LP - not as good as the Ramleh PE stuff to be honest... I believe the PE version of Ramleh is gigging in August - I wonder if that means the Awake! CD boxset is finally due to be out...

Anyway the real reason I posted was to let you know I was also at that Foetus Interruptus gig as well :D Not sure which night though... It was pretty enjoyable as far as remember... like you I stopped being interested after then... thought that would make you smile...

john eden

male pale and stale
Glad the gig was good! Harbinger have just repressed hand of glory on 12" again.

ALAP is apparently out in the next few weeks according to the guy who gave mr a flyer for it last night.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Glad the gig was good! Harbinger have just repressed hand of glory on 12" again.

ALAP is apparently out in the next few weeks according to the guy who gave mr a flyer for it last night.

yeah, there was quite a bit of vinyl for sale, but I didn't have the money for any of it :(