gremino

Moster Sirphine
tbh this is post-nuum. or perhaps this is nuum refusing to die, being undead like rock. (though funky is still running so we have to uncount that)

*playing with my thoughs* :)

Local Authority

bitch city
Most of what I hear these days, bar three or four labels, sounds like two genres (house and dubstep) diluting each other rather then adding or innovating. At first the move away from half time was exciting, now, two/three years after it happened, not much new has been done. Artists will occasionally look back to past genres but that's hardly crafting a new sound and making a radical shift. As much as people want to harp on about how amazing a new sound is, all it is is someone taking a previous framework and adding more bass to it.

Not to say that there hasn't been anything good recently.

Local Authority

bitch city
Sorry if I'm bringing this thread to a point it was at previously, I'm new here and I'm not going to read 139 pages just to see if this topics already been discussed.

You can all carry on without me.

rrrivero

I was pretty worried about this whole post-nuum thing, but then I heard the Traxman mix by Paradinas and now I'm convinced there will always be an exciting scene to follow. Also yeah, page 139 :D

sgn

I like some of Joy O's stuff, "Elipsis" and "Hyph Mngno" especially but I dont think he has such identifiable, trademarks. If anything I think Damu has a more dense sense of identity, his arpeggios, colour and warmth.

I'm biased here as I A&Red his album but then that is an informed viewpoint since I've heard a lot of his stuff. And for that album I did push for both stuff that had that arpeggiated colour but also tracks that didn't, tracks that went into other directions such as "Maths is Fine for Sum" or "Cheat When You Compete."

Hyph Mango is the Joy O trademark though - I'm pretty sure there wasn't much of or anything like it in the genre at the time - and the fact that it's been copied by about a 1000 different producers doesn't change that, even if he stopped making tracks that sound like it ages ago.

I think Maths is Fine for Sum and Cheat When You Complete were the only tracks on the album I sort of liked. I suppose I'm biased here as well because I'm naturally predisposed to hating excessively bright, colourful music (Glass Swords, the mother of all excess, would be the rare exception strangely enough) and those arpeggios, which admittedly would be a Damu trademark if there is one, absolutely kill me.

Look, I still think his music sounds like a mess of limited influences, but I admit it's difficult to be objectively critical of a body of music one has a viscerally negative reaction to. You obviously strongly believed in the album and put a lot of work into it, plus I'm pretty sure the majority of people who've heard it liked it, so let's just leave it at "it's not for me".

rrrivero

Got this from kmag's "10 bass producers to watch in 2012" which appeared in my facebook news feed today. I quite like this "scene" when they keep it dark and percussive like this guy

http://soundcloud.com/tessela/d-jane-channel-punch-drunk-feb

Not quite there yet though, a bit too rigid if you get what I mean. Channel's definitely got its moments, I hope he develops the sound further into his own instead of standing uncertain between Blawan and Pangaea

edit: From the same article

http://soundcloud.com/iampedro123/coolant-rip-from-boiler-room

http://soundcloud.com/iampedro123/notice-now-pedro-123-remix

Guy's not nearly as original or recognizable as kmag make him out to be but there's definitely something there, and for somebody that's only 17 he's got skills. Though I think he should move away from the mngo-esque synths he uses in the Trim remix and further into night slugs grime territory, right now the two cancel each other out.

idk, maybe I'm trying too hard to find something interesting, I mean I really do want this "scene" to work because every now and then it produces a monster like Gettin Me Down or Darq

edit2: I almost feel like this isn't the thread for discussing these tracks, it's like they have next to nothing in common with most of the no doubt highly intelligent, soft and refined "future garage" I hear and what most of the thread title refers to. There seems to be more coherency between artists like Sepalcure, Disclosure, Jacques Greene et al and then between artists like Randomer, Blawan, Pangaea and maybe this Tessela guy once he develops (sure I'm forgetting loads) and then artists like Pearson Sound, Dubbel Dutch (at least Darq), Girl Unit (IRL) and maybe this Pedro guy if and once he sheds his skin.

Also I could be totally talking out of my ass

Last edited:

gremino

Moster Sirphine
I almost feel like this isn't the thread for discussing these tracks, it's like they have next to nothing in common with most of the no doubt highly intelligent, soft and refined "future garage" I hear and what most of the thread title refers to.
time for new thread? those Tessela tracks are good.

rrrivero

I wouldn't know what to call the thread or how to describe its contents, but I reckon this thread could split into at least 3 others if not now then at least during this year.

tom lea

I dont think it requires a new thread cos gremino finally found something he liked. tessela is good tho, he did a single last year called slugger that was hard as nails. Artifact n ziro are both making stuff i think ppl in this thread wld like - check.turtle fight and minus on their soundclouds.

sgn

Was gonna post that Tessela link. Slugger was great and I like D Jane quite a bit too even if it does sound like a more rigid Blawan (pre move to 4x4).

sgn

@ rrrivero re edit 2 - Yeah, those groupings are about right. I'd also add the 808 electro/ghetto tech sound pushed by Boddika, Jon Convex, Addison Groove, Mickey Pearce etc.

rubberdingyrapids

def do not need a new thread. the thread is about post dubstep, future garage and lots things around and in between. seeing as all these things intersect, are played by the same people, and arent really defined or big enough on their own to make a genre of their own, i think its ok to group them together. that i am pedro thing with trim is pretty good. makes me think of old ramadanman etc. the tessla track rrivero posted is really good too and better than future garage or a lot of weedy modern post dubstep 2 step but could be from 2002 or thereabouts.

rrrivero

I agree they're not big enough, yet, what I'm hoping for is that there are at least signs of coherent movements forming from the massive heap of post-dubstep. I think that the future garage thing is actually pretty coherent, it's just dead boring :p I wouldn't say they're all played by the same people either, they may be listened to by the same people but I've not heard many sets with Blawan and Sepalcure together (and I hope I don't have to either). These things intercept, yes, but all genres do, remember, constellations and what not

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
So if there are distinct centres of gravity appearing in the interstellar hydrogen cloud of post-dubstep producers, are the DJs and promoters separating out as well?

I'm totally out of the loop on london clubbing, so I basically don't know...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Hyph Mango is the Joy O trademark though - I'm pretty sure there wasn't much of or anything like it in the genre at the time .

LMFAO it's warm filtered disco house at dubstep tempo. He executed wonderfully but it's hardly an idea he invented! If that's his "trademark" then Daft Punk, DJ Sneak and a generation of house producers are heading to infringement lawyers as we speak...