rrrivero

So if there are distinct centres of gravity appearing in the interstellar hydrogen cloud of post-dubstep producers, are the DJs and promoters separating out as well?

I'm totally out of the loop on london clubbing, so I basically don't know...
I don't know about that, I've never even been to a London club! However this mix by Bok Bok from the end of 2010 still serves as a source of excitement and hope for me

Click here to see it on Mixcloud

There's definitely plenty of variation in there from Pearson Sound to Lil Silva to Kingdom but it sounds pretty coherent to me. For the most part, there's a dark almost minimalistic vibe to it which hearkens back to early grime and electro without really being either (aside from the actual early grime bits). And you won't find any traces of future garage/intelli-2step or alt-funkstep in there either, well maybe alt-funkstep because I've no idea what that term stands for. If I had to make a ridiculous analogy, I'd say it's like a hand of clubs and spades, which might not be all that useful on the playing field but at least makes more sense together than a mixture of diamonds, spades, tarot cards and a yu-gi-oh collection.

Listening to that Bok Bok mix I don't even want to have too much of the same thing in one scene, but definitely the lines need to be drawn a little stronger and I think the possibilities for doing that are becoming gradually more obvious.

Last edited:

rrrivero

Definitely had some of the MikeQ stuff in mind when thinking about coherent strands forming from all of this (re: Fade to Mind mix). Although his is a sound of its own, it didn't evolve out of nothing.

Esp

LMFAO it's warm filtered disco house at dubstep tempo. He executed wonderfully but it's hardly an idea he invented! If that's his "trademark" then Daft Punk, DJ Sneak and a generation of house producers are heading to infringement lawyers as we speak...

Changing the tempo is enough to be considered original though isnt it? A lot of genres/sub-genres start with DJs/Producers taking an established sound and putting it at a different BPM (Moombahton would be a rubbish but recent example).

If Damu doesnt sound like Joy Orbison then Hyph Mngo definitely doesnt sound like a DJ Sneak record. Hyph Mngo does seem like the entry point for the vast majority of what is termed 'Future Garage' though.

The demarcation of sound through record labels seems like a good way forward to me. Even if you can't tie everything under one umbrella term you can still call something a Swamp 81/Nightslugs/Hessle/Hotflush tune, I guess the artists and labels might find it somewhat limiting though.

Last edited:

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Not sure about that Tessela track. Joe & Blawan already fill that hole that Ramadanman left behind very well. Surprised it's on punch drunk

Hyph mngo was much closer to London then house imo.

sgn

LMFAO it's warm filtered disco house at dubstep tempo. He executed wonderfully but it's hardly an idea he invented! If that's his "trademark" then Daft Punk, DJ Sneak and a generation of house producers are heading to infringement lawyers as we speak...

What Esp said. Plus, I mentioned there was nothing like it at the time "in the genre" specifically for that very reason. I'm aware of the existence of House.

rrrivero

Not sure about that Tessela track. Joe & Blawan already fill that hole that Ramadanman left behind very well. Surprised it's on punch drunk
Yeah I kind of agree, it's not all that but I think the guy shows potential, he just needs to shake off the Blawan connection and move into something more personal, as I said.

rrrivero

I agree with what Pinch is saying in this recent interview

Of course, even in the past two years the musical landscape has changed massively, especially in Ellis’s hometown of Bristol. As fractured as it may be now, his role in shaping its current form is undeniable /.../ he explains that this kind of experimentation is something he’s fully supportive of: “I think its great – it’s something we’ll see growing and sprouting up in more and more in other places. But I think that the key aspect for anyone getting involved in this kind of thing is to make sure that they bring their own space and sense of originality to what they do, and I think that all the Bristol guys are certainly doing that, they’re kind of carving their own space within their respective niches”.

However, these developments in Bristol and London have led to the terms “bass music” or “post-dubstep” being used as genre tags to describe music inhabiting a hinterland between dubstep, techno and house. Ellis is vehemently suspicious of these terms: “I mean I like bass, and I like music, but I don’t like very thin genre tags for the sake of people internally tribalising within genres. It’s unnecessary”.

“I do think there is very much a generalising trend emerging with the likes of the Hessle boys, Ben UFO and so forth, putting together music from techno, house, dubstep and different scenes and combining them in a certain way, but there’s a common thread that might run through Ben UFO’s selection that I don’t necessarily see in this catch-all term”.

Source

Last edited:

sgn

Not sure about that Tessela track. Joe & Blawan already fill that hole that Ramadanman left behind very well.

But Blawan doesn't make tracks like that anymore, does he? And I like Joe but his drums don't have that swagger...they're more playful if anything. Personally, I hope Tessela sticks to this sound and improves on/develops it because I'm a sucker for those drums and this sound isn't even close to being rinsed imo.

SecondLine

My man Rory obliquely arguing for this stuff to be treated as a series of separate genres rather than one big mess:

...the current state of affairs calls for new ways of thinking about UK dance music. The post-dubstep 'holding pattern' identified by several commentators a year ago remains in place - just. But it's fading fast, and as the trajectory of its descendants moves ever further from the point of origin it's becoming increasingly necessary to rethink the way we connect these new musics to their predecessors. As the dancefloors that dubstep's offspring have shared continue to diverge, so too do the paths of the music that occupy them. This year promises exciting things.

http://thequietus.com/articles/07786-hyperspecific-09-electronic-music-review

Between this and Gremino I've heard the idea floated twice in the last week. One more independent source and it is officially A Thing**

**empiricist jargon

jimitheexploder

This new Kevin McPhee track on the Tectonic comp has a dark Blawan-esq drum thing going on.

Do you know Rory? He's a dude. I dunno if we need any kind of new names for anything or owt like that mind. There is always shite in any genre, it seems like a few people just want to call the things they like one genre and the things they don't another. When you just need to listen to good DJs/artists your into to filter out the bad instead. I think we're good for a while yet without anyone pinning down a name/way of thinking.

SecondLine

yeah I know Rory! Surprised he's not on here to be honest..would've thought it'd be his thing.

fair. I don't think it's about coming up with a rash of silly new genre names so much as just treating these things as distinct, rather than part of one big confused umbrella genre. Just considering it in that way would change the critical response to the music, before the shameless coinage gets going. So for example - coming off the back of Rory's piece - I reckon the stuff around Pev and the Livity sound camp, & the deeper/sparser end of Idle Hands, will become quite obviously its own thing in the next 6 months or so.

Just a thought anyway. Not fully arguing for it yet.

jimitheexploder

Rory writes for us sometimes, I've crashed at his a few times when DJing in London.

Pev has always been Pev though even durring the peak of dubstep he was still doing what he does now. I can see the Livity Sound bits going in that way too.

I'm off to see the first Livity Sound live show in Bristol next month, looking forward to seeing how that goes down.

rubberdingyrapids

re: that quietus piece and 'finding new ways to talk about uk dance music', i like object' cactus a lot but it could more or less have come out in 2006 or 2007 couldnt it? maybe im listening lazily but from checking out the samples listed on there (not the peverelist mix though) im still not seeing quite whats so fresh about this stuff, even if it is fitting into other genres more neatly. do like the spam chop track but again it just makes me think of idm-ish house and garage and it does still seem a bit sexless and waif-ish to me lol.

i want to hear more from t williams btw.

Last edited:

jimitheexploder

I've always said that Objekt woulkd have fit right in durring that Appleblim Dubstep Allstars mix kind of time. He's on that 2562 tip. Big tracks mind.

rrrivero

His first release was huge though. Then he made a bunch of boring techno tracks and i lost all interest. Cactus is nice though