rubberdingyrapids

RA on trap music -
http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1730

i love tunes like harlem shake but am slightly confused how this can be a new genre, when trap music already is a sub genre of hip-hop. these producers arent making hip-hop per se, theyre just doing a ravey adjunct to it, so basically they need a new name. you cant be calling yourself the same name as something already there. i think that bugs me more than songs like pitbulls im off that.

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
i like some TNGHT stuff but this whole new wave of "trap" producers like baauer and flostradamus sound fucking horrible to me, admittedly i've only heard a few tunes though.

Dunno what it is really, I was gonna say it all sounds too brash and throwaway but then loads of music I like (obviously including loads of "real" trap) is brash and throwaway too. There's just something a bit too frat-party about this EDM-trap stuff... though i'm sure i'd like it much more if it had gunplay or juicy or someone over it

Which baauer tunes has kode9 been playing then?

rubberdingyrapids

EDM seems too much of a mass made up of lots of diff little styles for this to really be marked out imo, much like you could say about uk bass. this 'trap' stuff just seems like an outgrowth of what diplo and hollertronix were doing when it was still crunk.

BareBones

wheezy
yeah good point about the diplo/hollertronix stuff. are there really lots of styles within "EDM" though? I know it's a generic catch-all term but i thought it basically meant that kind of ultra-limited party-rockers-in-the-house electro guff that guetta etc make

e/y

Aren't people like Tiesto and Skrillex included in 'EDM'? I figured it was just a blanket term for electronic music that's played at stadium-sized venues in the US.

On a completely different note, love the Pangaea LP/EP. Lukid's album is also growing on me.

trza

The thing about EDM is that all the dj's will play the exact same stuff over and over again. Its great that they get booked in Vegas and make tens of thousands over a weekend for a bunch of "day club" gigs, but they get to play tracks everybody has heard already while they do it. Its more about the response from the young demographic, and the very young demographic.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I thought EDM was what Americans who have only recently discovered the existence of dance music call pretty much all dance music (in the same way that your gran calls everything from Fatboy Slim to gabber "techno") and hence tends to refer to the sort of stuff that Americans who have only recently discovered dance music listen to ie generally hooky big room anthemic stuff from whatever actual genre.

It's got that weird thing of being quite stylistically diverse yet somehow all sounding the same.

Someone's going to mention complextro soon...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Aren't people like Tiesto and Skrillex included in 'EDM'? I figured it was just a blanket term for electronic music that's played at stadium-sized venues in the US.

On a completely different note, love the Pangaea LP/EP. Lukid's album is also growing on me.

Americans used to complain that the UK kept inventing genres ("uk garage?" "dubstep?" "grime?" eh?) so maybe this is their backlash umbrella genre as wide as "dance music".

woops

is not like other people
Yeah, that was my gran, 'Big Beat, Gabba, at the end of the day it's all techno, call it what you like if it sounds banging I'm happy, you kids today with your micro-genres'

rubberdingyrapids

i love the bambouno album. as far as post-dubstep or whatever, i think this is the direction id prefer more of it to go in. i still cant quite decide about it totally, i love the playfulness, but i also partly think theres something a bit casual about it, a bit pastichey, as though hes not really taking it that seriously, but when it comes to great drums, i think hes way ahead of everyone else.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
LOL

Luka's accusations of Burial/post-Burial stuff being essentially indie sans geetars was pretty on point in some ways. I can imagine the same people who would have been forming indie bands in sixth form/uni five years ago now making post-dubsteppy stuff on their computer now instead...

Notthattheresanythingwrongwiththat! I was a teenage libertines fan :eek: