90s revival: starting prices

connect_icut

Is there some stuff that's too inherently uncool to get revived in the usual 20-year time-frame? I mean, prog was primarily a '70s phenomenon but it didn't really get revived until the '00s. Maybe the same will be true of Orb-style ambient house.

massrock

Ambient House was kind of a knowing gag to begin with.

Also it could be claimed that ambient dub, along with trip-hop, has enjoyed a massive revival in the shape of certain types of dubstep.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Is there some stuff that's too inherently uncool to get revived in the usual 20-year time-frame? I mean, prog was primarily a '70s phenomenon but it didn't really get revived until the '00s. Maybe the same will be true of Orb-style ambient house.

yes there's some truth in this definitely. also while 'innovators' will get their dues earlier (usually around 10-15 years), revivals normally end with those who didn't really care much for innovation, just wanted to make a lush, polished version of existing music. Like for the 70s, krautrock was revived in the late 80s whilst now it's all fleetwood & steely dan

connect_icut

Ambient House was kind of a knowing gag to begin with.
Also it could be claimed that ambient dub, along with trip-hop, has enjoyed a massive revival in the shape of certain types of dubstep.

All very true. Actually, ambient house probably was the ironic '90s prog revival. Maybe the influence of scenes and genres comes through in a mediated form first - either as a key influence on a fundamentally new genre or in jokey, ironic form (ambient house was a prog revival in both of these senses). Then, maybe the influence re-emerges, uncut about 10 years later (although, for all the people bigging-up prog, I can't think of anyone actually playing it straight up right now).

Perhaps dubstep is a foreshadowing of the '90s revival - '90s influences mediated through a fundamentally new sound. (More speculatively, perhaps wonky is the ironic rave-influenced equivalent.) In any case, it seems significant how much left-field dubstep artists like Shackleton owe to UK post-rock types like Kevin Martin and Mick Harris and that both those people have been making very dusbteppy music recently - King Midas Sound's Waiting for You and Scorn's Stealth.

massrock

How much talk about prog is there? Not denying it's there, I know a lot of stuff has come up for hip reappraisal in the last few years. Diagonal are pretty good anyway, and definitely wear their prog on their sleeves.

Also on the dubstep connections Appleblim's old band were a bit post-rock and prog too.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Stuff that sounds like rave, trip-hop, shoegazer all definitely around already, not sure if that constitutes a revival of any sort yet.

I reckon it'll be more trad Madchester shit, grunge, etc. At least that'll get the mainstream attention. If it's anything like the 80s revivalism it'll take towards the end of the decade before any of the pop norms get thoroughly entrenched.

I dunno. I know this is probably screamingly obvious, but it's not like trends conform to decades at all anyway, so it's a bit confusing to me how to measure when a trend "really" took place, either the first time or as a revival. For example was the big comeback of Euro synthpop type sounds electroclash stuff around 2000 or the total mainstreaming of those kind of sounds into e.g. Rihanna, Beyonce singles years later? *shrug* I'm actually not sure I give a shit. :D

Loki

every single thing will get exhumed and revived without exception.

this would be a great album title... maybe for a 90s compilation of bands that began then and are still going now.... Motown Junk could be on there, some of the early Blur songs (that one with the girl on the hippo), Autechre...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I want a shoegaze/early post-rock revival. We need more stuff that sounds like Slowdive and Bark Psychosis. Don't we?

And I must second the Haddaway reappraisal. We just ignored that man because he was asking questions we didn't know how to answer. That shit was deep.

BareBones

wheezy
the singer from phats n small is now david gest's assistant or something and a year or two ago i saw him having to lick 1,000 stamps for all of gest's christmas cards (i know it was a thousand cos i was in the post office when gest bought 'em)

gumdrops

im waiting for a lenny kravitz revival. considering how ok everyone is with retroism nowadays, he should be seen as an innovator now right?

gumdrops

i saw a clip of a session from his new album (its more of a funk album apparently). it sounded pretty good.