90s revival: starting prices

massrock

Yeah 70s synth and new age music is def a bit of a thing with some of the lo-fi and 'noise' crew, has been for a while. I guess it follows on from other 'hippie' music. Which is cool but also annoys me a bit as I know how lots of those people, at least where I lived, were completely myopically dismissive of anything like that (and anything related to house / techno / rave) for so long. Always the way though.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
nu-metal 2.0. wannabe grime mcs fronting beatdown hardcore style bands. watch for the BBK teeshirt.

zhao

there are no accidents
not sure if has been mentioned but i would like to see a new wave of "illbient". maybe under a different flag as that one is a bit tattered and worn...

bun-u

Trumpet Police
not sure if has been mentioned but i would like to see a new wave of "illbient". maybe under a different flag as that one is a bit tattered and worn...

funny you should that zhao, illbient/crooklyn dub is exactly what I thought when I listened to your Fusion 2 cd

zhao

there are no accidents
funny you should that zhao, illbient/crooklyn dub is exactly what I thought when I listened to your Fusion 2 cd

i'm hoping for an offshoot of Wonky in this general psychedelic subterranean direction... i want to talk to you about the CD too.

Last edited:

Woebot

the way these revivals go (and taking the cue from the 70s Italo Revival and 80s Minimal Synth Revival) it will be something that was completely taken for granted and dismissed in an off-hand manner - but which is heavily stamped with that decade's zeit/fingerprint which will be revived....also something that there is a huge quantity of.

....so, i dunno, brooklyn house music or (even - dread to think) tribal house (all that cr*p) or maybe euro trance (kox box reappraisal long overdue).

ie not the obv candidates. lol at diplo and jungle of 1994.

Kate Mossad

The 90s never really ended culturally though, did they? There was no break like punk rock or acid house at the end of the 90s to really set the stage for a new style or attitude towards music and pop culture in general.

Napster (1999-2001) changed everything in terms of 'attitude towards music and pop culture in general'.

Last edited:

connect_icut

the way these revivals go... it will be something that was completely taken for granted and dismissed in an off-hand manner - but which is heavily stamped with that decade's zeit/fingerprint which will be revived....also something that there is a huge quantity of...

That sounds like a description of early post-rock to me. I'm reminded of how the sub-headline of that Pitchfork article on "the lost generation" said something about bands who invented the '90s without anyone noticing. Okay, so there may not be that much of it but I still keep finding more.

Regarding the illbient thing, isn't a lot of dubstep somewhat illbient sounding?

Loki

mmm... loads of dull thuds in there... Was more or less constantly disappointed by DJ Spooky, who seemed to talk a much better game in theory than practice (cf: a LOT of mid-90s USA ambient/hip hop crossovers)

zhao

there are no accidents
mmm... loads of dull thuds in there...

no more or less dull thuds than in any other "genre" surely? reckon i find 1 quality dubstep tune in 10, if that. (and 1 qualtiy D'n'B track in probably 50)

swears

preppy-kei
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that I hope 'nu-metal' stays dead and buried for as long as possible. :eek:

A few of my mates were into it, and I thought it was shit. But I look back fondly on it now even though it was objectively terrible. Limp Bizkit just make me laugh now. It's weird, loads of people who were not into music at all (or maybe just chart pop and eurodance) suddenly started to rock huge baggy combats with a wallet chain and black Vans.

Leo

i wouldn't mind a reunion of "we", the group with dj olive/once11/lloop who put out three pretty cool psych/dub albums on asphodel and liquid sky music back in the late 90s.

swears

preppy-kei
02.jpg