Have you ever heard something so good it made you cry?

DJ PIMP

Rufige Kru - Kemistry
DJ Crystl - Warpdrive Rmx (the breakdown...)
Max Romeo
Aphex Twin - Alberto Balsam
Cannibal Ox - Scream Phoenix (especially if having listened to the entire exhausting album)
Oxtongue - Delight
Deeelite - Power of love
Kelley Polar Quartet - The Rhythm Touch
Stevie Wonder - Visions, Pastime Paradise
Model 500 - I wanna be there
Bill Withers - Lovely Day, Just the two of us
Mahalia Jackson - A City Called Heaven
Claro Intelecto - Peace of Mind
Kraftwerk - Computer Love
Ladytron - All the way

etc etc etc

mms

sometimes
Rufige Kru - Kemistry
DJ Crystl - Warpdrive Rmx (the breakdown...)
Max Romeo
Aphex Twin - Alberto Balsam
Cannibal Ox - Scream Phoenix (especially if having listened to the entire exhausting album)
Oxtongue - Delight
Deeelite - Power of love
Kelley Polar Quartet - The Rhythm Touch
Stevie Wonder - Visions, Pastime Paradise
Model 500 - I wanna be there
Bill Withers - Lovely Day, Just the two of us
Mahalia Jackson - A City Called Heaven
Kraftwerk - Computer Love
Ladytron - All the way

etc etc etc

bleep my girlfriend has a t-shirt with yr avatar on, do you know where it's from?

DJ PIMP

It's a design by Garland Lyn for Japanese t-shirt label 2K (my fave tee of all time and I love the things). Lot's of ready made avatar materials abound:

http://www.2kbygingham.com/index-shop2.tpl

Next for me is the genius of the Acid Bauhaus shirt:

04GNR015-01-S.jpg

Another track: Age of Love - Age of Love - Jam n Spoon mix

Last edited:

leamas

beautiful track. there's also a track called 'peace of mind' on the andy stott album 'merciless' which has the same piano and melody, but backed by strings rather than beats. i'm never sure which came first.

my personal few (from many):

Opus III 'It's a Fine Day'
Vangelis 'Blade Runner Blues'
Tom Waits 'World Keeps Turning On'
Wiley 'Come Lay with Me'

zhao

there are no accidents
claro intellecto, model 500, and "computer love" makes you cry? really? not that i don't believe you it's just a little hard to imagine...

I would've done the death-disco shirt a bit differently... i would've punched out holes in the ball in shape of skull rather than kind of lazily slapping an image of a skull on top of it...

yeah hard times and confessions probably 2 best and most emotive riddims i've heard in a long time...

i guess sickboy is too much of a man to have feelings... that's cool. to each his own.

DJ PIMP

claro intellecto, model 500, and "computer love" makes you cry? really? not that i don't believe you it's just a little hard to imagine...

I would've done the death-disco shirt a bit differently... i would've punched out holes in the ball in shape of skull rather than kind of lazily slapping an image of a skull on top of it...
that is what he did in places... the teeth are punched out, and the image of the skull is refracting across the surface of the ball, it's not a simply overlay.

the weepy thing is really contingent on where my head is at... almost anything could set me off at the right point in time. all those tracks have moved me to tears but i'm not such a woosie they do so consistently.

re computer love:

another lonely night
another lonely night
stare at the tv screen
at the tv screen
i don't know what to do
don't know what to do
i need a rendezvous
i need a rendezvous

then it drops to the exquisitely naive melody... lovely.

it's also the sounds kraftwerk uses, those clear crystal analog notes. i cried at one point when i first listened to the tour de france soundtracks by virtue of the sound alone... so impossibly glassy and beautiful.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
that is what he did in places... the teeth are punched out, and the image of the skull is refracting across the surface of the ball, it's not a simply overlay.

ah yes upon closer look you are right. it is properly executed. the icon i think is too small that i didn't notice, and it looked like an overlay.

it's also the sounds kraftwerk uses, those clear crystal analog notes. i cried at one point when i first listened to the tour de france soundtracks by virtue of the sound alone... so impossibly glassy and beautiful.

yes their music is very human isn't it? very fragile. and full of quirks and awkwardness and weaknesses... kind of opposite of the image of what they're "supposed" to be. the robot exterior hides neurotic things made of flesh. the new Tour De France maybe less so than earlier songs...

Pangaea

One track that sticks out is the album version of 'All Is Full Of Love' by Bjork...must have been about 15 at the time and had never heard anything like it before

zhao

there are no accidents
future days.

if i really listen, almost every time.

edit: just humming the tune, just thinking about that voice makes me a little misty.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Scott Walker - "Farmer in the City"... the vast sounding cello drone which introduces it, the immense drum rolls, "remember that dream- we talked about it so many times", the way the lyric twists between the explicable and his own private language, the woodwind counter-melody in the second versethe see-sawing strings, the shattering crescendo... "it was the journey of a life..."

Ricardo Villalobos - "Dexter"... its icy synth riffs hang in the air like tears in pools of chilling reverb, picking out that beautiful, hymnal melody. Incredibly simple but basically unimprovable.

David Sylvian - "The Only Daughter"... the double take between calming music/gentle major key and ragingly angry/sinister lyrics, enunciated in a drained, anaesthetised 4am croon: "render the vow- its my home now, this, your one and only warning, please be gone by morning..." "The penny's dropped..."

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Actually I do have an answer to this question:

When I was 19, I went into work at my job at Winners (basically Canada's TK Maxx) after a night of raving and no sleep. They made me mop the floor of the whole store while coming down from far too many drugs at 7 in the morning, and Mario Winan's hit "Don't Let Me Know" or whatever came on the radio, and I started crying.

I'm not sure if I sympathized with him, or if it was just because I was feeling something that could only be comparable to malaria.

My boss let me off work that day. I quit the job soon after.

Last edited: