Have you ever heard something so good it made you cry?

viktorvaughn

Scott Walker - "Farmer in the City"... the vast sounding cello drone which introduces it, the immense drum rolls, "remember that dream- we talked about it so many times", the way the lyric twists between the explicable and his own private language, the woodwind counter-melody in the second versethe see-sawing strings, the shattering crescendo... "it was the journey of a life..."

Ricardo Villalobos - "Dexter"... its icy synth riffs hang in the air like tears in pools of chilling reverb, picking out that beautiful, hymnal melody. Incredibly simple but basically unimprovable.

David Sylvian - "The Only Daughter"... the double take between calming music/gentle major key and ragingly angry/sinister lyrics, enunciated in a drained, anaesthetised 4am croon: "render the vow- its my home now, this, your one and only warning, please be gone by morning..." "The penny's dropped..."

Dexter is beautiful. Got to hear it banged out quite loud on a stereo to hear the subtle texture in it though.

Jim Daze

i dont believe any of those cool techno lists anyone cried too, i cried to the smiths most probably and the cure, young love is so cruel, most recently 'Linus and Lucy' by Geraldi, it's nostalgia. Was I supposed to say 'Inner City Life' or something like that, oh yeah that music in the film 'Walkabout', you know the strings gets me EVERY time, anyone know what that is btw ?

swears

preppy-kei
Ricardo Villalobos - "Dexter"... its icy synth riffs hang in the air like tears in pools of chilling reverb, picking out that beautiful, hymnal melody. Incredibly simple but basically unimprovable.

I put this on in the car once with my sister and she complained "it's so depressing, why would anybody want to listen to that?" and made me change the track.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
i dont believe any of those cool techno lists anyone cried too
not likely but i do think it's possible. when the formal construction feels exactly perfect, no more, no less; when the elements are placed just so... and when you can afford the concentration, to *really* listen and "get into" the experience of how the track unfolds...

i've had pretty intensely emotional moments with Ø - Tulkinta and Senking's Silencer. yes tears were involved.

but there are musics which were almost, kind of designed as emotional outlet within the context of certain cultures. I'm thinking of traditional Mexican drinking songs, singers like Jose Luis -- it is very touching and very beautiful... it is the kind of stuff that you play very late at night, after everyone is completely wasted, at high volume, and arms are put around shoulders and everyone just weeps.

but as far as the saddest music of the world... difficult to find a contender with Armenian Duduk music. well maybe some old flamenco tunes... or old arabic tunes... but if you didn't grow up listening to it there is no intrinsic emotional, experiential connection, so even though the music is incredibly powerful and intense I don't usually cry listening to it.

strange that not much overtly sad music comes out of africa (or maybe i just haven't heard) - a place that has experienced likely much more suffering than anywhere else during last few decades.

Steve Lacy supposedly said once "first you have to sound sad, and later you can sound good"
which i take to mean that the only really good music, the only quality, the only joy that can be found, in music and maybe in life, is one which comes out of, grows beyond, and despite of, saddness.

zhao

there are no accidents
i cried when i first heard this - made during the first days of last years bombardment. - in this case of course it is more than the sounds themselves but the knowledge of what they are, and the context of its making, which bring the tears...

swears

preppy-kei
When I was a hard bitten private detective living in LA during the 80s, after my model girlfriend had left me for being too much of a "loose cannon, you crazy bastard Swearsinsky" I would often be found listening to Cutting Crew's "Died In My Arms", slugging a bottle of Scotch in a paper bag while a single manly tear rolled down my designer stubble.

Last edited:

Lichen

Standing in disgrace outside a classroom whilst my 5-year old classmates sang "If you're happy and you know: it clap your hands"

That song still makes me feel isolated and melancholy, if not actively lachrymose.:(

This has nothing do to with the thead though, does it?

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Armenian Duduk music. .

Oh god, that stuff is just ridiculous, we had a CD of it once and one of the track titles was 'I will not be happy again in this world', it's just the most goth title ever.

I cried to 'Strings Of Life' once, on a perfect day driving down into Ibiza Town, blaring that out. But then again, I also cried to 'Bring It All Back' by S Club 7 so I'm not the best arbiter of taste.

gumdrops

doesnt quite make me cry but the transcendence comp on impulse does take me to a different kind of emotional plane (um seriously)

blubeat

blubeat
The Abyssinians last week had me crying my eyes out.
The fact that you saw them and I didn't has me crying my eyes out.

Primal Scream - Moving on Up. That one always gets me, I have requested it for my funeral. I will probably be past crying then tho!

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Goodie Mobb - Beautiful Skin (from 2nd album, title escapes me)

Al Green - Jesus Is Waiting

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - T.R.O.Y (When They Reminisce Over You)

Play those back to back and I'll be bawling it up in no time.

mms

sometimes
Goodie Mobb - Beautiful Skin (from 2nd album, title escapes me)

Al Green - Jesus Is Waiting

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - T.R.O.Y (When They Reminisce Over You)

Play those back to back and I'll be bawling it up in no time.

jesus is waiting is really rather lovely.

i sometimes get quite upset when i hear Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and party giving it some.
Not the Westernised stuff, vwith pissy ambient rubbish in it, it misses the point, the pure energised qawwali stuff - it just sounds so beyond and so full of pumping human hearts, sweat and throats sung raw at the same time. Meat and the maker.

late period john coltrane, can't really handle this stuff, it's quite upsetting in a genuinely overwhelmingly emotional way.

Last edited:

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
walking about in japanese rice fields covered in snow listening to fennesz/oval/line label stuff,..,...
could have been the wind though

ripley

Nina Simone. I can't stand it when cafes and bars use her as background music, because I can't not listen to her and her voice pretty much kills me every time.

Otis Redding, on occasion.

and yes, the Abyssinians, especially "Leggo Beast" - something about the harmonies and shifting tones does it too