James Blake

CrowleyHead

KIND of killing it right now... 'cept the Destiny's Child mix. That one doesn't do it.

I think it's kinda mandatory though that I throw this out there...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dudes are KINDA doing better than Darkstar on the sort of 'live dubstep band with greatest potential indie crossover' tip.

tom lea

i'm more excited about james blake than anyone
yup.

actually, there is someone. but im not saying anything yet.

buzzard and kestrel is fucking amazing. great little remix of mount kimbie's 'maybes' too.

oh, and airhead's next single is lovely. the tracks are on his myspace.

Alfons

Way of the future
prefer Mount Kimbie over Blake (and I really like MK), although Air and Lack thereof was great. This thread needs more audio links btw ;)

Damien

When I dropped the Destiny's Child remix recently the whole club went nuts for it, even the bar staff were jumping up and down

Serious tunes

joe.dfx

who knows...
i really like air & lack there of & the stop what you're doing remix, but the rest sounds messy to me and a lot of his stuff just doesn't come together in the right way. his sound pallete is really fantastic like others have said though.

the milli & bills remixes were really terrible imo, they didn't really add much to the sea of horrible remixes of those songs that already exisit. pretty irreverent if ya ask me, and not in a good way.

i think that he's definitely on to something though. much more then last years posterboy Joy Orbison.

allegiant

Evenly Distributed
Nah, 'The Shrew...' EP and 'Hyph Mngo' releases are stronger and more assured than any current JB release. Though, I'll admit to being moderately beguiled by his productions - to the point where I've picked up all of his work to date.

There's certainly a disorderly signature to his production that lends to a significant amount of simpatico, but I've yet to categorically put my finger on whether it's down to sheer talent, or simply a tangible audible departure/advancement from almost all that's gone before (exluding an ideated Fly-Lo & Untold collaboration).

Either way, It's a relief to see this thread's not entirely populated by effusive flattery for the guy. At least, not yet, anyway.

joe90

I wish james blake , shortstuff , martin kemp etc would learn to play chords properly. Their tunes sound like my cat walking across my keyboard.

gumdrops

the a milli mix was prob smart not to try and emulate the original in any way but i felt it kinda missed the point. reminded me of some slightly insipid prefuse 73 type blend that didnt quite hit the 'oooh sublime contrast' mark it was going for (the lyrics just dont fit with that beat). a millis like next hype - inpired a ton of remixes but the vocals are so tied to the original track it doesnt really work with anything else.

benjybars

village elder.
I wish james blake , shortstuff , martin kemp etc would learn to play chords properly. Their tunes sound like my cat walking across my keyboard.

surely that's the whole point..

James blakes' A Milli remix is immense. really surprised that anyone could not be feeling it but there you go.

pajbre

this is outrageous

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Well if their objective is to sound like they are tone deaf they have achieved it.

confusing thing to say, never thought i'd hear that flung at him

james blakes stuff is mostly quite traditional harmonically. listen to that maybes remix posted above

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

maybe find some other outlet for your anger

Last edited:

Webstarr

I heard his Untold Stop What You're Doing remix on a 32k thunderidge system on friday. Completely changed my view on the track