James Blake

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That Shortstuff/Hyetal tune is great, thanks.

How did I miss this though :eek::

http://www.last.fm/event/1401334+BRISTOL+TAKEOVER

Did anyone go?

Edit: I quite like the Untold remix, but I must say James Blake isn't exciting me much (eg for that remix, I'd much rather listen to Dam Funk do the kind of future funk thing). IN comparison to, say, the Bristol sound/Punch Drunk etc, it's so, dare I say it, average...

*ducks*

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's been so long since I've been there that I forgot that....

Still have to hear Guido play out, and Peverelist....they don't seem to come to London nearly often enough :(

wise

bare BARE BONES
didn't reach that bristol takeover cos the system at rhythm factory is 100% mediocre

I've vowed never to go to Rhythm Factory ever again cos it always sounds awful.
It's a shame cos they have some really good nights/line-ups

grizzleb

this is exactly the point. i hear loads of stuff that just tries to chuck chords out of key to be clever, but just sounds ... out of key. the utter genius is when someone finds sour tones and offkey chords that actually sounds amazing, then the pay off is twice that of some saccharine in-key major chord progression.

i also think the slight messyness to these tracks is great, it's just too commonplace to sound clean and tidy right now. it's a function of the availability and influence of quantized technology i'm sure but nonetheless...
Mess is good when there is an overall idea about how it should sound - I don't think that Blake has this vision. He just isn't that talented is my basic take on it. It sounds a bit like some of the stuff I used to make, maybe that's why I hate it.

I also don't think that his stuff sounds much different to the Mount Kimbie stuff which is far superior, or any of the other left-of-centre dubstep/tronica that is kicking about just now, only they are done much better.

And that vocal sample 'bALLIN BALLIN YEAHH' on (air & lack) is so shite it makes me never want to listen to music again. I can't forgive a producer that isn't selective enough to avoid that.

BTw - dissonance is also great, I love lots of dissonant music, Penderecki et al, so it has little to do with that. I don't even think Blake's music is particularly dissonant.

Last edited:

grizzleb

Aye well whatever. It's a totally shite sample.

Anyway, I don't mean to be a h8r innit, just don't like his gear. As you were...:)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
So do the BNP. :eek:

thanks for comparing james blake to a racist party, that's nice.

the actual nasty politics of the BNP aside, the analogy stands though: the BNP are at one extreme end of the political spectrum, and similarly james blake makes stuff that is further 'out there' than most in a bass/nuum/dubstep/garage/grime etc context.

but lets end this unpleasant political analogy here pls.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i wouldnt say he violently divides people. my general opinion of him is a 'huh' shrug.

Yeah, it's bizarre how people try to claim that others are spreading hate, when all they're saying is that Blake makes music that is a bit boring. He's alright mind, and it's not his own fault he's getting hyped. Yet it does seem that people are getting excited about the strangest things. Taking an example, put this stuff next to juke (or next to someone like Zomby), and it's quite clear which one is the future, and which one is the modern IDM.

Edit: Also, is it just me, or is the Untold remix a massive rip-off of Joker? Not saying this is bad mind, and it's an OK track - everyone rips everyone else off - but it seems blatant. It's probably just me, mind...

Last edited:

Pangaea

i'm down with healthy debate, mr blake divides opinion and I think that's good. it's just all this self-satisfied smugness from some people here that I can't abide reading