Where were you when vinyl died?

Damien

I find that none of the music I want to listen to is stocked in any of the record stores in Newcastle, and if it is stocked then they are normally months behind the time when I have already bought it online

I buy a lot less crap records since I stopped record shopping locally

grizzleb

I find going to shops a little bit frustrating, in terms of price at least. Does force you to take a much more open view on what you might buy though which is for the good. Record fairs like Olympia make me feel like I've joined a mysterious legion of old men though. Mind you, I was talking to one of my students about record collecting this week so the bug lives on...

This is a bit mental but an amusing read: http://www.furious.com/perfect/recordfairs.html

Record collecting hasn't really died for me, it's more like it's been reborn. I rediscovered an old interest, indulge my geeky side, found out about loads of amazing music and genres I was previously unaware of and met tons of people. It's been a refreshing change and influence. It enhances me social life (I can't imagine taking a few beers and some MP3s round to a mate's house being as interesting). It even encourages me to be creative in the broadest sense of the term, with a little bit of DJing, making comp CDs and so on.

A lot of the above could've happened with digital music, I suppose, but vinyl seems to have brought out the best sides of all the above.
It's interesting you say this, but recently I've been going through a renaissance of musical enjoyment. It seems like me and the friends I have who are into tunes are endlessly trawling over gems, all the time, the last year or two has just been an explosion of quality music from everywhere, in every vein, every style. I sometimes feel a bit spoiled but then I forget and stick on some more amazing unheard tracks. I think the internet destroys alot of locality; now I can get my hand on a romanian punk rock thing that was made into 200 tapes as soon as I can get the latest chart fodder. Maybe that's dangerous, and maybe it removes some of the romance, but damn, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't exciting.
I still spend as much time trying to find music as I did years ago, it just seems that nowadays I can't move before I'm bumping into good shit.
I found I used to buy records to Dj with, which limited my purchasing ancd usually forced me down the worst 'tracky' route, and often I'd just buy anything in store even if it wasn't amazing. The lack of constraints in financial terms means my tastes can just include whatever I feel like - I now listen to everything, I used to dislike such and such, but I think that was probably because I just couldn't afford to take the risk of buying a cd that could be shit, so I wouldn't stray outside genres as much. Now a difficult listen becomes something that is asked of you as a music listener...always the strange, different, sideways shit.
This has all been when I've not had access to second hand vinyl shops ala london or whatnot though. Maybe things will change when I'm earning a decent wage.

DannyL

Wild Horses
It's interesting you say this, but recently I've been going through a renaissance of musical enjoyment. It seems like me and the friends I have who are into tunes are endlessly trawling over gems, all the time, the last year or two has just been an explosion of quality music from everywhere, in every vein, every style. I sometimes feel a bit spoiled but then I forget and stick on some more amazing unheard tracks. I think the internet destroys alot of locality; now I can get my hand on a romanian punk rock thing that was made into 200 tapes as soon as I can get the latest chart fodder. Maybe that's dangerous, and maybe it removes some of the romance, but damn, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't exciting.
I still spend as much time trying to find music as I did years ago, it just seems that nowadays I can't move before I'm bumping into good shit.
I found I used to buy records to Dj with, which limited my purchasing ancd usually forced me down the worst 'tracky' route, and often I'd just buy anything in store even if it wasn't amazing. The lack of constraints in financial terms means my tastes can just include whatever I feel like - I now listen to everything, I used to dislike such and such, but I think that was probably because I just couldn't afford to take the risk of buying a cd that could be shit, so I wouldn't stray outside genres as much. Now a difficult listen becomes something that is asked of you as a music listener...always the strange, different, sideways shit.
This has all been when I've not had access to second hand vinyl shops ala london or whatnot though. Maybe things will change when I'm earning a decent wage.

You sound a bit like one of my mates who's not a vinyl head (though he has just got a turntable) - everytime I see him, he plays me something great. I think just as the net has up opened up so many opportunities in terms of what we can listen it's also broadened the buying experience for vinyl a lot. A mate of mine (who's a record dealer) said to me "this is probably the best time ever to get into collecting records" a while back and I think he was right. The collectible MAD RAERS will always be top dollar, but the range of stuff available, the ease with which one can find a bargain and check out soundclips and so forth before you buy - it's a shame so many shops have gone but all the above - it's all pretty amazing really.

massrock

I find that none of the music I want to listen to is stocked in any of the record stores in Newcastle, and if it is stocked then they are normally months behind the time when I have already bought it online

I buy a lot less crap records since I stopped record shopping locally
It's really difficult for small record shops, and obviously has become even more so. One thing is that they need to order a certain amount from a given distributor to make it worthwhile, so it can take a while for stuff to come through even if you've placed an order. Also it's risky to take a chance on a lot of stuff which might only sell in 1s and 2s, especially as it's difficult for many customers not to get impatient and get it online, or lose initial interest. Then there's the matter of cash-flow and being able to order stuff at all regularly, not to mention overheads like rent which often mean it's hard to compete with online retailers even when postage is taken into account.

I have noticed that even the moodiest of record shop staff have had to start making more of an effort in the last few years though...

Damien

It's really difficult for small record shops, and obviously has become even more so. One thing is that they need to order a certain amount from a given distributor to make it worthwhile, so it can take a while for stuff to come through even if you've placed an order. Also it's risky to take a chance on a lot of stuff which might only sell in 1s and 2s, especially as it's difficult for many customers not to get impatient and get it online, or lose initial interest. Then there's the matter of cash-flow and being able to order stuff at all regularly, not to mention overheads like rent which often mean it's hard to compete with online retailers even when postage is taken into account.

That in no way helps me get the music I want though, and I'm hardly going to sleep on records in the vain hope that the local store MAY get them in at some point

I do feel for the record store owners though, it's a crap climate to be in right now

Last edited:

Alfons

Way of the future
so do people think it will end up just being huge warehouse type shops (juno etc) and the more legendary shops in big cities (hardwax, black market, sotu)? Can you run a single record shop in a medium sized city these days?

gumdrops

I have noticed that even the moodiest of record shop staff have had to start making more of an effort in the last few years though...

this is prob the best thing about record shops being threatened. i remember when i used to go to mr bongos and theyd just treat you like crap. dont know how they ever thought that was a good way to do business.

IanTheM

Tame Horse
so do people think it will end up just being huge warehouse type shops (juno etc) and the more legendary shops in big cities (hardwax, black market, sotu)? Can you run a single record shop in a medium sized city these days?

They're barely managing it here in Vancouver, we just had the Olympics and most of the shops lost money in that time.

connect_icut

They're barely managing it here in Vancouver, we just had the Olympics and most of the shops lost money in that time.

To be fair, Red Cat (which is right by where I live) seems to be doing really well and just moved across the street to a space about four times the size of the one it previously occupied. On the whole, though, I do get the feeling that other stores in Vancouver are having a bit of a hard time.

IanTheM

Tame Horse
To be fair, Red Cat (which is right by where I live) seems to be doing really well and just moved across the street to a space about four times the size of the one it previously occupied. On the whole, though, I do get the feeling that other stores in Vancouver are having a bit of a hard time.

Yeah, I never make my way to Red Cat & Zulu much, mostly because my vinyl spending are usually restricted to dance music so I got downtown (plus Gastown's not out of the way for me). Beat Street only last week took off their 50% sales, I managed to pick up a bunch of nice techno/house stuff on a whim there.

IdleRich

IdleRich
International Record Store Day

Tomorrow I think, loads of events at Rough Trade and probably loads of places. Dunno all the info but have a google and you'll find some stuff I'm sure.

john eden

male pale and stale
two recent hauls:

at 20 pence a record.

Fucking A.

5ic.jpg

kg7.jpg

It's about 90 pieces and I have thrown away eight of them for being crap or unplayable.

That's probably my best result ever in about 25 years of buying tunes.

connect_icut

Tomorrow I think, loads of events at Rough Trade and probably loads of places. Dunno all the info but have a google and you'll find some stuff I'm sure.

I'm dead excited about this. I live literally one minute's walk from an indie record store (http://www.redcat.ca/), so I'm going to rush 'round there first thing in the morning and try to grab the special Arthur Russell release. I also wanted to get the coloured vinyl re-issue of Sonic Youth's Confusion is Sex but apparently they're not actually going to get that out in time for Record Store Day.

There are full lists of exclusive RSD releases here...

US
http://www.recordstoreday.com/templates/Store/pretty_new/rsd/RSD_2010_RELEASES_WEBSITE.pdf

UK
http://www.indierecordshop.org/?p=316

petergunn

plywood violin
I'm dead excited about this. I live literally one minute's walk from an indie record store (http://www.redcat.ca/), so I'm going to rush 'round there first thing in the morning and try to grab the special Arthur Russell release. I also wanted to get the coloured vinyl re-issue of Sonic Youth's Confusion is Sex but apparently they're not actually going to get that out in time for Record Store Day.

There are full lists of exclusive RSD releases here...

US
http://www.recordstoreday.com/templates/Store/pretty_new/rsd/RSD_2010_RELEASES_WEBSITE.pdf

UK
http://www.indierecordshop.org/?p=316

how do you know which stores have what? the Fela promo looks cool...

IdleRich

IdleRich

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Happy Record Store Day everyone.
I'm going to go and see if I can get that Grace Jones / Digital Mystikz record, but I won't be too surprised if London shops got all 500 or something stupid like that.

benjybars

village elder.
yep Happy Record Store day!

gonna go and see ufo do his thing at bm-soho i reckon. see anyone down there?

nochexxx

harco pronting
woke up and immediately threw money at Honest Jons. i don't think they're listed as participants (not that that makes a difference!).

RSD provides an apt excuse to spend more money than usual. if your a music addict, then it does a feel a bit like handing a junkie a loaded needle.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
So I got the Mystikz record + 7 others + found out they sold loads of stuff I didn't know they did + I now feel really bad for not shopping there more often.

Well played, record store day, well played.