Where were you when vinyl died?

benw

yep Happy Record Store day!

gonna go and see ufo do his thing at bm-soho i reckon. see anyone down there?

were you there for ufo mate? must have missed you, i was down there. didnt make it to el-b - dropped out after floating points/alex nut - wicked day all round tho, nuff free cider.

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
copies of Flaming Lips doing Dark Side of the Moon sold as part of National Record Store day are now on ebay at £250 plus already.

The day is sort of a nice idea, but when all the limited edition stuff is being sold to vultures, it sticks in my craw a bit..

IdleRich

IdleRich
"copies of Flaming Lips doing Dark Side of the Moon sold as part of National Record Store day are now on ebay at £250 plus already.
The day is sort of a nice idea, but when all the limited edition stuff is being sold to vultures, it sticks in my craw a bit.."
Was gonna ask if anyone copped the Blur one - that was going for similar money. Not really in the spirit though is it...
Also

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Beatles-Paperback-Writer-Rain-Record-Store-Day-7_W0QQitemZ280494504637

"I'm going to go and see if I can get that Grace Jones / Digital Mystikz record, but I won't be too surprised if London shops got all 500 or something stupid like that."
Think most of the people I know who did the best live outside London.

Anyone get the Paul Weller one? People keep telling me that it's good! Or the remix is at least.

bobbin

What
there's nothing more motivating than a stack of vinyl in the corner of the room making you feel guilty for not playing it, but digital files are easy to forget and usually get buried under all the free downloaded mixes.

i still buy vinyl and cds - i'm not a purist, they sound better and i don't end up deleting them or loosing them like mp3s - i need something physical there to remind me to listen to it sorta thing.

I use to buy MP3s but then one day I realised how unrewarding the format is. I have thousands of MP3s sitting on my hard drive but compared to the little congregation of wax sitting in the corner of my room, they mean fuck all.

i think really this is all about whether you want to relate to music as an object or in the abstract. it's not just the practicalities in themselves, it's the difference between having a synergy of sound and thing or not.

at one end of the spectrum, vinyl is surely ultimate. wasn't there something in more brilliant than the sun about the magic of seeing/hearing the music come out of the groove? at the other end is spotify. a database query directed at something containing randomly allocated bytes from millions of encoded recordings, that you will never perceive because it's in an air conditioned room with no windows somewhere in india.

personally i find it hard to relate to that in an enjoyable way.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
I just love records. I have a CDJ, but I realized the other day that I haven't even turned it on in 8 months. As for digital, Theo said it best:

Theo Parrish said:
It’s convenient; ain’t got to carry around records. Ain’t got to worry about customs. You can bring your whole collection to a party. Your whole collection? I mean, I walk into a party and I know you got access to 50.000 records? 50.000!?! You know what I’m going to expect out of you? I’m going to want my DNA changed!

outraygeous

Thats a great quote by Theo!

Its kinda like when I saw Various Productions DJ off a laptop and it took them at least 4 mins to go from one tune to the next.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Was in a Cd place yesterday that had a wall of vinyl.
There was only one copy of each record, they had Blue lines, Screamadelica, The Man Machine, Room on Fire, some Duke Ellington and stuff like that. They were all fairly "iconic" albums or at least LPs some people might think are 'cool'. Everything was at least 30 euro.

I couldnt figure out whether it was the shop selling vinyl for sake of it or were people supposed to buy these tunes so they could impress people when they frame them on their wall when they get home or whatever

DannyL

Wild Horses
Was in a Cd place yesterday that had a wall of vinyl.
There was only one copy of each record, they had Blue lines, Screamadelica, The Man Machine, Room on Fire, some Duke Ellington and stuff like that. They were all fairly "iconic" albums or at least LPs some people might think are 'cool'. Everything was at least 30 euro.

I couldnt figure out whether it was the shop selling vinyl for sake of it or were people supposed to buy these tunes so they could impress people when they frame them on their wall when they get home or whatever

Sounds like the latter. Why else would you pay 30 E for stuff you could pick up elsewhere for a third of the price, unless you're buying into the concept of vinyl as desirable collectible? It sounds like a post record store day cash in.

Last edited:

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Indeed, vinyl for people who dont buy records.
But then again it could lead to someone starting a collection so what harm.

Got sent this today. Is this the norm now ?

Important - please note that anyone using vinyl if you can bring needles to avoid any problems on the day

DannyL

Wild Horses
Me and Rich played out on Friday and Rich took his own. One of my mates will only play his records on his own needles (he won't even play stuff he brings round my flat! He's a condition freak but I think it's a good idea if you're playing out on a regular basis and buying OGs. Carrying around a load of records in a bag can mash 'em up enough, why go that extra mile?

Alfons

Way of the future
Indeed, vinyl for people who dont buy records.
But then again it could lead to someone starting a collection so what harm.

Got sent this today. Is this the norm now ?

Hasn't this always been the norm? It definitely should be imo. Bring needles, headphones & records, sometimes you might ask to use the clubs/the previous' dj's needles but one should always bring ones own pair to the venue.