• Lib Dem

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • No-one

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters

crackerjack

Well, you say that, and people said the same about King too, but these women are smart, alert, diligent. Oona was super-diligent as a constituency MP, unlike twat chops who deposed her. Also, you should have seen who else was running for nomination -- Rupa fucking Huq, for one!

You hit the nail on the head, here. I mean, I haven't been in close contact with the BGB CLP since early 2007, and things were fractious enough then -- the young upwardly mobile Blairite right, the Old Labour Unionist Left, and the far ("hippy") Left all scrapping over the fall out from Oona's loss during the bleak days and weeks and then months after the election -- but judging from Gilligan's revelations, which I see no reason to disbelieve, Tower Hamlets Labour is in dead trouble.

Also, seriously, why can't Galloway just fuck off?

Of course, we also have the referendum on the directly elected mayor on May 6, which I'm convinced will be a disaster.

There seems to be almost no attention paid to it - I've had just one leaflet on the subject (arrived with Respect's, natch). A yes vote will be the worst thing to happen to TH politics since Derek Beackon.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Heard you the first time, Brother B. ;)

From that CiF piece:

Jackie Ashley said:
Soon we'll need a parliamentary version of chaos theory – quantum politics, perhaps.

Eh-UR! Science analogy FAIL.

Edit: and senior Lib Dems (specifically Paddy A quoting Clegg, I think) were reported as ruling out a coalition with the Tories in this morning's papers. So ner.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Edit: and senior Lib Dems (specifically Paddy A quoting Clegg, I think) were reported as ruling out a coalition with the Tories in this morning's papers. So ner.

Linkage please

edit: so far as I know, the only thing he's specifically ruled out is giving brown first option on forming a govt if Labour come 3rd. Anything else is just anonymous whispering in the right journalist's ears to pacify voters fearful they might prop up the opposing team.

Last edited:

samdiamond

I hated Galloway enough before this election, but the Respect bus has somehow pushed this hatred to an inconceivable level

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Am I just stating the bloody obvious if I say that the whole election situation is fukin depressing whichever way you look at it?

I mean, for those here who are 100%, sure-fire decided that they're going to vote Labour again, fair play to you - but surely you can't be going into it with your heart overfilling with joy and hope? I'm firmly behind the whole 'Anyone But Cameron' strategy, but still this time more than ever the 'lesser of two evils' aspect to things seems more obvious to me than it's ever been. Vote for another term's worth of shite, to avoid a potential term's worth of even heavier shite...

(I guess what would help to some extent is if I had more certainty about exactly what voting Lib Dem and seeing a general swell in their representation would entail after the elections. And even then, by natural/deep inclinations I don't see myself as a Lib Dem man, they're still somewhere in the 'best of a bad bunch' category).

hucks

Your Message Here
OK, says here that Fitzpatrick is still the favourite for Poplar and Limehouse. Overall, good.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Linkage please

edit: so far as I know, the only thing he's specifically ruled out is giving brown first option on forming a govt if Labour come 3rd. Anything else is just anonymous whispering in the right journalist's ears to pacify voters fearful they might prop up the opposing team.

Um, well when I said "the papers", I really meant "the Metro". :eek:

crackerjack

OK, says here that Fitzpatrick is still the favourite for Poplar and Limehouse. Overall, good.

the bookies i saw have the tory as v slight favourite over Labour - 5/6 vs 6/5 :(

Respect still 5/2 in BGB, with Labour 2/7 - assumed it would be much safer than that for us :(

don_quixote

Trent End
I'm at a state school right now, and I could write you a laundry list of problems with the whole system. Most of the information they're throwing at us here is the same as anywhere, but the quality of education is nowhere near what I got at the private college and university I attended.

And the problems have nothing to do with the teachers not caring. They try really very hard. The problem is, because so many of the students are ill-prepared, or they believe college should be an extention of their shitty public high school experience, where they got an A for simply showing up and writing their name on the paper, the professors are always playing catch up. They end up simply teaching students how to pass tests, and cram facts, instead of teaching them to think through the material.

I could spend all day complaining about this really, so I won't bore anyone further...

i'm really sorry, but i'm struggling to comprehend some of the issues you're getting at here. are you talking about the uk? cos the language you're using doesn't coincide with my experience.

i can only talk about private education as a perception, but it appears to me the difference is thus; every private schooled person i have met is "i am privileged" and it is drilled into them that failure is the fault of themselves, i imagine due to the messages they received at home. as a teacher in state education i feel like i am constantly trying to make the curriculum appealing and wanted the students to want to do well. it is hard to convey the perception that they are letting themselves down when they are ambitionless. bit of a sweeping statement, but i'd say that was prevalent.

i don't think this is the fault of the government though and i'll be voting labour on may 6th because i think this country is alright really.

vimothy

yurp
That may well be true, but it does not follow that the assumptions that writer makes are therefore correct. We have reverted back to a pre-depression era macro as a guide to policy, and on this issue there is little light between any of the parties. Hell, even the SWP has its own programme of cuts to reduce net spending and save Britain's finances. Very depressing.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Just drove back through Barking and Dagenham after doing our 'together, we can psychically kill Nick Griffin' art thing at a gallery in Southend - Martin I used your quote from here about a 'psychic mexican wave' in it. Southend was as close to the heartland as I could get, and thought it was good that I did an akshun in video the same night as the BNP released their party political broadcast.

It's the advertising hoardings that are really getting to me in this election, I don't think I've been in a position to see them by car in other elections, they're not quite the same by tube or bus. The inundation of them. The Conservatives ones are genuinely 'what the fuck' - the one about bringing back the birch is just too much.

Little tip offs on 'All Advertising Must Die' billboards-to-burn whilst going through B&G - Pimms and Schweppes had a deeply strange Union Jack one which has to be deliberate given the area it was in - won't be having Pimms this summer then...and Screwfix car mechanics are using BNP colours/typeface, or it may be the other way round.

I'm not finding this election depressing but I do find it distasteful - and I won't be voting. I've spoilt my ballot before but this time I don't want to be on the Electoral Register. As far as I know, no-one's got my address at the moment and I kind of like that occasionally.

nomad's in the U.S hence the education stuff being different.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just drove back through Barking and Dagenham after doing our 'together, we can psychically kill Nick Griffin' art thing at a gallery in Southend - Martin I used your quote from here about a 'psychic mexican wave' in it. Southend was as close to the heartland as I could get, and thought it was good that I did an akshun in video the same night as the BNP released their party political broadcast.

You'll have to kill this man as well!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/apr/04/bnp-mark-collett-nick-griffin