Record Shops are History.

Dusty

Tone deaf
I'm confused, surely if anyone is profiting out of music outside of Amazon it must be Boomkat. Have they closed their real doors in order to focus on the virtual?

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
rough trade is closing their covent garden shop and opening an apparently huge new place near brick, it's apparently going to be the biggest independent record shop in europe or something.

3underscore

The rumour mill is in overdrive that there is either a huge restructure involving shop closures, or the complete end of Fopp.

All shops seem to be closed for stocktaking today. It seems buying a chain that itself went bust (MusicZone) may not have helped them.

No confirm on this, but lots of talk.

don_quixote

Trent End
Music, books and DVD retailer Fopp has told publishers to cease supplying it with book stock. In an email sent to about 20 publishers and book suppliers today (14th June), the retailer instructed them to cancel any orders for new and backlist titles. It blamed "unforseen circumstances" for the cancellation. However, a Fopp spokesman told The Bookseller that it was a temporary measure as the chain moved warehouses.

The email, sent to publishers on behalf of book manager Sarah Callaghan, stated: "It is with regret that I need to instruct you to immediately cancel any dues you have recorded for Fopp; including new titles we have placed pre-orders for prior to publication and any backlist range replenishments." Publishers contacted by The Bookseller expressed surprise at the development.

The Fopp spokesman stated: "We manage nearly all of our books supply via a warehouse in Bristol. We are moving this warehouse function to new and much larger warehouse facility in Stockport. During this period of transition we don't want any new stock arriving at either of the warehouses. Therefore, our book buyer, has merely cancelled outstanding orders until they are required and has already contacted her suppliers to explain the situation."

Fopp celebrated its 25th anniversary as an independent retailer last year, after starting life as a market stall in Glasgow. It operates 46 stores across the UK. In February, it bought the 67 stores owned by rival retailer Music Zone after the chain went into administration.

surely related to warehouse moving? maybe not

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Rapidly coming to the conclusion that the only place to buy records is online.

Obviously I'm mainly talking about second-hand records

yes — back cataloguing — it's hard to make serious finds in the secondhand bins nowadays :(

new vinyl is still worth getting from real shops, since shipping means it's no cheaper buying it online

Woebot

had an interesting happen at the weekend.

one shop i used to visit, flashback on the essex road in islington, always had really crap records.

i went there on saturday and they wicked bad stuff.

i asked the guy behind the counter and he said "i know !i know!" apparently it's because all the good shops have been shut down, now they're suddenly getting vastly-improved stock....

shrugs.

3underscore

Don

That appears that was the first part of a very bad turn of events for Fopp - and more apparent that it was an excuse to cut an unnecessary (non-core) cashflow drain.

Friday every store closed to stocktake. Saturday they were only taking cash in stores. Sunday there was an article in the Sunday Times Business section saying "we aren't going into administration" from their CEO, defending the MusicZone purchase and saying how they funded it on floating debt, so have experienced a bigger cash squeeze as rates have gone up (stupid business decision).

Apparently they have huge supplier problems and have been known not to carry new releases, although this is all believed to be from the MZ purchase, suggesting the original Fopp chain is sound but may be brought down by acquiring a firm that had already failed.

Anderai

We've had a Music Zone in Inverness lying empty for months now and I was wondering when Fopp would be taking over....oh well, that leaves HMV and er...the net then!

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I won't be shedding a whole lot of tears for FOPP. It was good for cheap back catalogue, but for new releases it was pretty awful, and artists didn't get a whole lot of money from them. Sure they were "independent", but to what end? They were still simply about shifting units.

If the future is less independent shops but ones more focused on niche areas (both in store and online), I don't know if that's a bad thing really.

mms

sometimes
well fopp were responsible in alot of ways for killing off the other indie stores by undercutting them, i think they basically bought up lots of old stock from warehouses all over and buying and selling cheap, i think they often cut a few corners legally.
Their undoing was buying those cursed stores, i never really liked fopp though, i don't think they were really an independent shop in that you couldn't really walk in and get a solid recommendation from someone that worked in there, and they more or less pushed niche things that had been overpressed, working off a kind of hip knowledge of back catalogue.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
RT@brick lane

rough trade is closing their covent garden shop and opening an apparently huge new place near brick, it's apparently going to be the biggest independent record shop in europe or something.

I'm really looking forward to this bold venture, it's in the right place and if it's as good as they say will be an excellent place to visit. But.....there's so much bad news around for music retailers you can't help but feel that it has a 50/50 chance of success.

mms

sometimes
I'm really looking forward to this bold venture, it's in the right place and if it's as good as they say will be an excellent place to visit. But.....there's so much bad news around for music retailers you can't help but feel that it has a 50/50 chance of success.

well there is still a market for physical music etc at the moment, and there is potentially a gap in the market, although rough trade seem to have fallen off a bit as a shop, i haven't been in there for ages and i tend to go physical record shops about once or twice a month. It seems in the indie stakes compared to a shop like pure groove in archway, they're looking a bit out of touch

DannyL

Wild Horses
The new Rough Trade shop is on Drapers Wharf, which is probably the best location round there - it's the little street with the trendy trainer shop (Gloria's) and the Big Chill Bar. I hope it's a big success - from the outside it looks like they have a ton of floorspace.