Fav electronic label?

zhao

there are no accidents
Yeah, that's what I first thought of too.

can't think of any contenders when it comes to consistency of both quality of recordings and aesthetic. Wozcencroft's design of course has become a schtick, but i still love the photography and non-attention seeking type. and although i suppose being a "specialization" label, it is so in a surprisingly expansive, non limited kind of way.

what are the sister brands Ash International and what else again? all quality. even going back to the early 80s, those Dome releases were very nice, full of bits as juicy in this century as the last.

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
what labels have good websites? thanks if anyone can think of any.

warp.net around 2000...? Designers Republic full on Flash extravaganza blast with cube-letters that moved n stuff. Actualy waited around 5-10 minutes on 56k various times just to play around with it again.
hmmm.... nostalgia.
doesn't help, but my memory coughed that up when I read your post.
c.

edit: for a still existing one that made me chuckle. http://www.bodenstandig.de/2000/basis.pl?lang=e&dir=/english&kommando=boot&start=jawohl

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
rephlex, hyperdub, metro area, lo recordings, mu, trax, brainfeeder.

Metro Area release on Environ. Definitely a label I watch for new releases. Almost entirely Morgan Geist-related material, so it's no surprise it's so consistent.

zhao

there are no accidents
er... i hated that flash warp site. to me it is clear DR had their heads firmly up their asses for that one... bulky anti-functional arbitrary heavy pointless user-unfriendly wank. and can just imagine the nightmare upkeep must have been.

been looking at a lot of label sites today, and not a single stand out one. most are horrible or looks total shit or just meh. you would think techno labels from the kompakt labels page would have slick sites... think again.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I think 12k's site is good, i.e. I can find what I want fast, and the look matches their physical design. It doesn't wow me at all, but I'm not sure I'd want that from a label's site...?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
loads & loads of jungle labels - all the aforementioned ones (Reinforced, MS, SB, No U-Turn, Whitehouse) + BASEMENT RECORDS, RAM, Formation (hit & miss, but still a great label), V Recordings, Ganja Records/Frontline, Lucky Spin/Deejay (for the DJ Crystl releases alone), Skanna, Bizzy B's whole coterie of labels (Brain Records etc), 3rd Party/Kemet, & on & on - granted, not all have the same cachet as a Trax Records or Warp or whatever, but the thread is favorites, not "best"

also, Bloody Fist Records

also, it's not one of my faves per se but I'm glad someone mentioned

Deathchant

and of course UR

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
er... i hated that flash warp site. to me it is clear DR had their heads firmly up their asses for that one... bulky anti-functional arbitrary heavy pointless user-unfriendly wank. and can just imagine the nightmare upkeep must have been.

been looking at a lot of label sites today, and not a single stand out one. most are horrible or looks total shit or just meh. you would think techno labels from the kompakt labels page would have slick sites... think again.

Haha, I remember the (old?) Tempa websites being one of the most hideous things I'd ever laid eyes on.

Someone re-hosted the No U Turn website I think, but it's dystopic nature fits in with the theme of the label innit.

zhao

there are no accidents
I think 12k's site is good, i.e. I can find what I want fast, and the look matches their physical design. It doesn't wow me at all, but I'm not sure I'd want that from a label's site...?

not bad at all but not great either... forgot about them. raster noton is ok too.

functional sites can wow with elegant functionality too... wow doesn't have to mean extravagance or pointless eye candy...

D

droid

You could probably make a pretty good case for Jammys. Certainly Madhouse/Steely and Cleevie/Main Street/Vena and about 1000 other dancehall labels.

bruno

est malade
can't think of any contenders when it comes to consistency of both quality of recordings and aesthetic. Wozcencroft's design of course has become a schtick, but i still love the photography and non-attention seeking type. and although i suppose being a "specialization" label, it is so in a surprisingly expansive, non limited kind of way.

what are the sister brands Ash International and what else again? all quality. even going back to the early 80s, those Dome releases were very nice, full of bits as juicy in this century as the last.

i have a soft spot for early nineties labels: apollo, evolution, infonet, dum, sähkö. i would be hard pressed to choose one over the other as they are were irregular, some better than others visually and some with clusters of brilliance in the midst of good but not brilliant music. it was a mesh of excitement. i suppose i would choose sähkö in the end as the graphics lived up to the music and made it extremely covetable. i would agree with zhao that touch/ash was/is a great label, very competent visually and consistently interesting on the sonic front, which is not a small feat given its long run.