Fav electronic label?

Stuntrock

oh my god so lame. that label puts out bland tasteless pastoral mush by the truckload. they make the shit look nice but it's all so extremely boring. (judging from every single release i've ever tried to listen to)

i would agree with you if they hadn't put out Svarte Greiner & Thomas Köner. Even some Deaf Center is nice

nochexxx

harco pronting
lets not forget Skweee labels Harmonia and Flogsta Danshall.

Harmonia releases are housed in the best designs!

mms

sometimes
last i heard they were not doing so well... i hope it keeps going though. one of the few outfits keeping me interested in contemporary european electronic music.

eh - villa nah have been having top ten hits on northern europe and are touring with omd

massrock

No-one mention Rising High?

Maybe not fave, and obv. not current, but laudable for stuff like Bedouin Ascent (love the first one), Earth Leakage Trip (likewise), Irresistible Force (Underground EP), Balil - Parasight (!), early Wagon Christ / Plug stuff, Rainbows In The Sky and quite a bit more.

zhao

there are no accidents
i would agree with you if they hadn't put out Svarte Greiner & Thomas Köner. Even some Deaf Center is nice

yer right those would be exceptions... haven't heard teh Koner on this label... will pass on the deaf center though :)

eh - villa nah have been having top ten hits on northern europe and are touring with omd

that's nice. maybe i heard wrong but it was a year ago or so. they've always had a pop side as well which is i guess good for business.

connect_icut

oh my god so lame. that label puts out bland tasteless pastoral mush by the truckload. they make the shit look nice but it's all so extremely boring. (judging from every single release i've ever tried to listen to)

Strongly, strongly disagree!

A good section of the stuff on Type is dark-as-hell ambient like Xela etc. It's also been responsible for some of the most interesting experimental releases of this year including On's Something That Has Form... and Sylvain Chauveau's Singular Forms. The Koner re-issue series is welcome too, as is the label's commitment to the more intriguing side of contemporary avant rock (e.g. Grouper).

connect_icut

er sounds like idm to me?

Hmm... you must have heard a different Xela album from me. The only one I have is In Bocca al Lupo, which is pitch fucking black and distinctly beatless.

Also, can't believe I forgot to mention the work of Richard Skelton. Deep, rough-hewn and gorgeous quasi-classical dronage, a million miles away from "bland tasteless pastoral mush".

Dusty

Tone deaf
Type is hit and miss but you can't dismiss it. Peter Broderick, The Alps, Svarte Greiner - all quality stuff to my ears. If anything the Xela releases rank amongst my least favourite of the labels output.

Not my favourite label by a mile though... that is going to require some pondering.

connect_icut

Actually, I must admit that all my least favourite stuff on Type is the dark ambient material and my favourite stuff is probably the most pastoral (e.g. Koen Holtkamp). Still, the label has put out records by some artists who seem genuinely remarkable, challenging and important, like Richard Skelton and Sylvain Chauveau.

Stuntrock

yer right those would be exceptions... haven't heard teh Koner on this label... will pass on the deaf center though :)

There's a Deaf Center 7" that is absolute ace and am sure you'd like.

All the rest is indeed shit. Grouper was actually allright and I almost bought it, but... meh... I've got so much of that stuff and better.

Xela, IDM or dark ambient is sadly boring. He just can't pull it off! When you consider the amount of the label's output, it's indeed mesmerizing how they can pull it off with so much bland ambient and pastoral etheral folktronica... Shivers!

Stuntrock

Staalplaat and Extreme need bigging up.

Staalplaat is indeed greatness, while Extreme has aged sooo badly IMHO. I was really into them until 97 or something...
Staalplatt has so many great releases, but sadly not enough vinyl.

Stuntrock

Was about to point that out ;)

This band is so close to being cheesy, but they're actually pretty good! Not sure I would buy their records though, even if I've considered it a coupla times. A great rmx of Au Revoir Simone they did lately.

zhao

there are no accidents
Staalplaat is indeed greatness, while Extreme has aged sooo badly IMHO. I was really into them until 97 or something...
Staalplatt has so many great releases, but sadly not enough vinyl.

yeah sure extreme has aged... but you got to respect them for pushing on and on for so long... when i was growing up so many of their releases sustained me.

stillupsteypa just released some new stuff but not on staalplaat i don't think... always loved them.

connect_icut

I hate to keep harping on about this because Type isn't even my favourite electronic/experimental label (that honour would go to Mego/eMego, no question) but the drippy, pastoral stereotype being perpetrated in this thread seems starkly in contrast to my experience of actually listening to Type releases. I keep thinking of more great Type albums - Sylvain Chauveau's The Black Book of Capitalism, Richard Skelton's Landings, Black to Comm's Alphabet 1968 - which are as rigorous and militant as they are simply beautiful. Even a record like Koen Holtkamp's Field Rituals, which is firmly in the genre of pastoral electronica, has enough depth and rough edges to make it a consistently compelling and satisfying listen.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.