blackdown soundboy on standards of grime lyricism

mms

sometimes
yeah hardnoise were interesting. I loved the Demon Boyz - still do - but I always thought Harris' production was limited, I just wanted him to use another drum machine instead of whatever he was using ( what was that that made that flat electro-ish sound? ).

It just seemed to me that we were trying to get to somewhere without the equipment, after the first Def Jam stuff it was just over for me for UK hiphop production wise, even Hijack. I like it more now though.

Hijack signed to rhyme syndicate in the states and did a rubbish album, don't talk to strangers being the funniest track ever.
Then two blokes from hijack went on to be pied piper and the masters of ceremony - 'do you really like it, is it is it wicked?'

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Hijack signed to rhyme syndicate in the states and did a rubbish album, don't talk to strangers being the funniest track ever.
Then two blokes from hijack went on to be pied piper and the masters of ceremony - 'do you really like it, is it is it wicked?'

It's never worked for any Uk rappers in the States apart from Monie, has it? And she was US to start with.

Getting back on track, I think pretty much all the major grime people are do amazing things lyrically and metre-wise. I'd really like to see them collaborating with the UK hip-hop people, Skinnyman in particular, although he seems a bit antagonistic towards it ( I thought that 'RU Really From the Endz bit he chats on one of his last tracks like a throwdown, he's double timing like a madamn. )

Noah Baby Food

haha, daaamn, wrote that rant about Blade 2 years ago..never thought that one would get a pullup! I don't write in such an acerbic manner on the web nowadays, but i still stand by that. dunno if i'd say "i hate all his audience" these days, that's a bit much. but yeah, that shit does depress me. Lyrical Maniac and Mind Of An... were nice back in 90, but yes, you gotta know when to quit. Same with KRS-1...I hate to say it and I am well prepared to be proved wrong but I think it's time Kris retired...he's stuck...too damn basic, permanently preaching...his voice is still tuff though.

But back to grime...2 yrs later and the levels are UP UP UP. Personally I do prefer the beats from 2002-2005 to most new stuff, but you can't deny there's a lot of impressive MCs. Trim, I mean, what can you say? Ghetto is ferocious and technical, not the most charming on the mic but technically sick. Dunno why Wiley isn't proppin his boy Scratchy there, I'd swap him for Scorcher in Grime Top Trumps any day. His concept bars, like the one where he namedrops loads of cigarette brands, are well different. Has a lot of charisma. I know it's controversial but I like Terminator, like a grime ODB I'd say. He don't give a fuck either coz he's got that QPR paper. Brazen's big. He's not a real "lyrical" cat but Temps is punk rock as they come. Faction G is well underrated. Could probably think of more.

It's good that all the media next-big-thing stupidity has died down, and now hopefully those who wanna do it can just get on with doing it.

viktorvaughn

Yeah i agree.

Beats have got a bit less, well i won't say good, but 'urgent'. Listening to some recent sets i would kill for a big whoomphy alias-style bassline to come in. They may have been a playstation back then but often less is more.

But the MC levels? The levels are going UP!

Scratcheys bars about looney tunes characters are quality also - 'i'll roger rabbit' etc.

But putting a positive spin on the UKHH for a minute - What are the quality ones?

I would go for-----

Brand New Second Hand (Roots Manuva)

The Sagas Of....Klashnekoff

Understanding (New Flesh)

Masquerades and Silhouettes - Lewis Parker (Love this to bits, love to hear some griMeCs on his beats)

Noah Baby Food

Yeah, definitely, got to give UK rap its props still. Roots is a true original, have a lot of time for him. New Flesh also. WhyLout? from Brixton have done some good stuff too.

I don't neccessarily see a massive split between UKHH and grime anyway, and neither do a lot of people who actually do the music. If you spit, you'll spit on anything you feel. Grime's younger, got different influences, yada yada yada, but it's still spitting, self-expression on beats. I see the split between those who listen to the young and are up for new influences and can move on, and those who are bitterly clinging onto some old template. Mate, this country's music scene is so damn conservative and mono-cultural at the moment, EVERYONE who's doing some real shit should try and stick together...that goes for grime, hip hop, garage, metal, punk, techno, noise, whatever...a hippyish ideal eh? fuck it, music's a serious business! it can save yer life!