Gang of 4 were shit. Discuss.

luka

Tbh they're not shit. They're silly. But they're not shit. They have admirable qualities

the ig

gang of four is a bit like writing off for the perfect 'build yr own' band with all the right parts (slashing guitar noise, funk in the bones, cool situ-y politics, modernist edge, interesting eclecto-influences) receiving it and going "oh dear, bit on-the-nose actually, bit meh", play it few times, forget it, get back to something that doesn't glibly fit with lil ol you but you're naggingly puzzled/fascinated by...

i like ether, tourist and a few others but always thought this one really slapped:

great bass, vocal, contained scratchy syncop guitar, propa funkstyle punk

all building up to that one explosive kissoff/cumoff chorus

Last edited:

the ig

yep, fast product 7" version, the album all sounds bit neutered.

same with josef k actually, great shit going on on early 7"s, album's a bit of a misfire

i mean can u get more wound?

IdleRich

IdleRich
yep, fast product 7" version, the album all sounds bit neutered.
The Bruce Gilbert one or the Gof4 one? I was referring to the former - the post by Version, not a specific version. I can see why it was confusing.

Leo

gang of four is a bit like writing off for the perfect 'build yr own' band with all the right parts (slashing guitar noise, funk in the bones, cool situ-y politics, modernist edge, interesting eclecto-influences) receiving it and going "oh dear, bit on-the-nose actually, bit meh", play it few times, forget it, get back to something that doesn't glibly fit with lil ol you but you're naggingly puzzled/fascinated by...

curious about when you first heard them, since that might make a difference. are you saying that in retrospect, or did you feel that way when they first came out? because there wasn't anything like them before and the newness of their entire package was pretty gripping, whereas I can see how first hearing them decades later after you've already heard all that came in their wake might lead you to feel that way.

the ig

i've got into bands way older with a much broader wake that have stayed with me much more.

..it's just that though, it's too much the complete package, and i still think they're pretty singular, no one since really got on the nub of what they do. my point is that it can be a bit disappointing getting a sort of 'band of yr dreams' that squares ostensible preferred sound-aesthetics-politics (or triangulates). i tend to get really fascinated by acts that come at an odd angle to what i am, where i 'fit' politically and socially. stuff that sort of sticks to you almost despite yourself. there's this sort of slippage away from what i think i know/like/need, that i like to pursue..

Leo

I hear you. although they were the first with that "angular" guitar style that's been aped aplenty since.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I can't stop listening to that song... best thing I heard in ages. What's the rest of the lp like? I'll know soon anyway....

version

The Gilbert one? The rest of the LP isn't really anything like that. It's much weirder, more 'experimental', less immediate.

linebaugh

Gang of Four are canonical Cool Rock Music. Its beyond questions of post punk. The alpha and omega of Cool Rock Music are the Velvet Underground and The Stooges and we can map out from there.

Things to consider:

Cool rock music does not get sad, it gets bummed.

CAN and Neu are cool rock music but Faust and Kraftwerk are not.

Isnt Anything is cool rock music but Loveless is not

The farther metal strays from black sabbath or motorhead the less likely it is to be cool rock music

version

giphy.gif

linebaugh

The Modern Lovers are a stooges cover band that only fucks in missionary.

Weezer (Blue album) wants to sounds like Pavement but is too cowardly to commit. Pavement wants to sound like Weezer (Blue album) but is too cowardly to commit.