Hip Hop '11

CrowleyHead

i just wanted to say shabazz palaces.

but to be fair NYers prob scoff at all the southern tracks with 808s and handclaps.

its weird i really thought alchemist was creating a new NY sound on certain tracks he was doing a few years back but nothing really came of it. i think its also cos he was just doing a lot of more trad NY sounding beats too so no one really noticed.

like the essence with the lox is like southern trunk rattling drum sounds but made into something east coast and hardcore. but he hasnt done enough songs like that imo.

For me, everything Alchemist's done just feels like really professional sounding NYC sounding stuff, but it's nothing really NEW. He's still in that formula that 90's NYC pioneered. Just Blaze is another example, though he also likes to do generic pop-rap records to pay the bills now and again.

New Yorkers and their scoffing is an elitist archaic mindset though. I always feel like New Yorkers need to have something with hard non-808 snares, but that's all they need. It shouldn't be "Oh, loop an old soul record and throw some fucking harps on that shit."

A lot of NYC records also have no fucking bottom. You hear a Drumma Boi beat for example in a car stereo, you end up in a fucking air-pocket of bass. Then it'll switch up to some Saigon record, and like that, you're in this brittle, dry, emotionless place.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
A lot of NYC records also have no fucking bottom. You hear a Drumma Boi beat for example in a car stereo, you end up in a fucking air-pocket of bass. Then it'll switch up to some Saigon record, and like that, you're in this brittle, dry, emotionless place.

That's just talking shit thought. Bass doesn't equate emotion. It equates production, it equates space. It equates visceral, immediate excitement. But emotion? Please. If anything I'd question this perpetual need for more bass, more bass at the expense of anything else which the South and D*bstep created. The question is more why people haven't got bored of bass yet, less how emotion should equate with viscerality. That's not emotions, that's orgasms. Be afraid of equating the two.

luka

thats a very good point but at the sam time i think there is as much likehood of people becoming bored of bass as there is of anyone becoming bored of orgasms. that being said, not every rap record needs belligerent bass or even need sound good on a car stereo. there can be rap for different moods and situations. if youre talking about competeing for radioplay or seomthign that different cos that will favour immediatee viscral impact.

CrowleyHead

Bass doesn't have to be in dubstep levels of obscenity, but when New Yorkers wonder why they never get their records in competition with the rest of the hip-hop game, that's the key right there. You go from four or five records where the bass can go from melodic and subtle to air-pocket levels, and it's a physical sensation... and then all you have is either some old dusty snare that Alc/Just engineered into 'perfection', or you have some really embarrassing clap. And to the traditional NYC mind, THAT'S the important part. Rest of the country doesn't think like this, it's weird.

A great example was the Juelz/Banks song last year. You had all the similarities to a southern record in 'formula' (the whole scale water-drip synth sound, 808 kick; actually kinda more like a Clipse record than anything) but when it came to the low end, you had just one occasional bit of kick. Other than that, it was wandering in the desert.

gumdrops

you would think that NY-ers would think that the southern guys are basically doing a development of old electro and that they should try to show them they can do it better or something but i dont think NY looks on that period that favourably - they regard the late 80s/mid 90s much better and so just cant seem to let go of it. still, i havent lost my like for boom bap. i like tracks like this -

they key now i think is not to make it sound like youre trying to make it sound like 94 (with crap fake muddiness/preset filters etc) but just let it bang but cleanly.

drilla

i'm starting to like the aesthetics of these newer lightweight prosumer hd cameras, dslrs etc. their jerkiness contrasts oddly with their crystal clarity, feels different.

gumdrops

shabazz palaces - from seattle but might as well/could easily be NY - has some really good bass on it. almost like old dubstep but not as OTT.

outraygeous

i'm starting to like the aesthetics of these newer lightweight prosumer hd cameras, dslrs etc. their jerkiness contrasts oddly with their crystal clarity, feels different.

think the canon t2i is the one for all these videos or the ones coming out at the moment

CrowleyHead

More important than UK Hip-Hop with art videos and whatever the fuck Oneman's doing...

Gucci's new mixtape, "Writing On The Wall" is SUCH a return to form. Everybody's gravitating for the song he did with Luger, which is FINE. But "Psycho", "Made Me Say Brrr" and a Southside-Produced Track I can't remember the name of are all fucking gold.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
More important than UK Hip-Hop with art videos and whatever the fuck Oneman's doing...

Gucci's new mixtape, "Writing On The Wall" is SUCH a return to form. Everybody's gravitating for the song he did with Luger, which is FINE. But "Psycho", "Made Me Say Brrr" and a Southside-Produced Track I can't remember the name of are all fucking gold.

Just checked 'Psycho'. Like it.