Hip Hop '11

DannyL

Wild Horses
I know autotune stuff is over, but on this tape, over all these synth beats I feel like the synthetic flat edge it gives everything makes it sound like the sonic equivalent of an all night coke bender. I guess you can here that best on "Nasty" but it's mood that permeates the whole tape.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I really wish Southside would do another beat like ''Body Bag'', those mournful gothic strings just kill me in combination with the 808s. Maybe he has? Give me a heads up if he has. Was listening to ''Danger'' yesterday too - the sirens, that metallic/mechanic rhythmic tap... amazing beat. Southside is underrated. ''Ferrari Boyz'' should change that. He has more range than Lex (although I haven't listened to a lot of key Lex beats/tapes i.e. the Juicy J tape. I heard a few tracks off that and they didn't seem typical Lex at all).

DannyL I agree with what you're saying about ''Free Bricks''. Gucci's music is always quite weird - even when he's on a standard trap beat his voice, the way he 'speaks'(/flows) brings an eccentric, addled flavour (and charm) to it. Autotune in this context perhaps works so well because it has a sort of dehumanising/trippy effect - its potentially a very druggy (dare I say 'wonky'?) sound, and as you say this is music as much about getting high as pushing weight. It's somewhat more charming than the berserker battering-ram sound you find in a lot of Brick Squad stuff... which, as luka says, can be a little wearying.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
BTW I really want to hear a Gucci vocalling of this Zaytoven beat that's on Alley Boy's ''Definition Of Fuck Shit 2''. Alley's alright on it but he's not really eccentric enough to pull it off.

I posted it upthread already ''I Ain't Cool''.

Southside, Drumma Boy, Zaytoven, Shawty Redd and Fat Boy are all killing it on these latest Bricksquad/related tapes I'm hearing.

outraygeous

I can't recall a more boring Brooklyn dude this year.

That shit seems predestined for people who miss Fondle 'Em 12 inches and debates about Percee P being underrated. I could smell el-P's future erection in regards to that song (which, according to his tweets over that piece of shit record, did happen) from a mile away.

that post made me lolatron, anyway. Could you hook me up with some good rappers if they aint already in this thread. Im not really a fan of trap beats. I do like people rapping about horrible things. Escapism I guess

CrowleyHead

Thing is, I'm not a fan of "Free Bricks" in general. Like, everything's fine, but Gucci and Future have no actual chemistry. It reminds me of "Tragedy" on WOTW2; Gucci sees people care about Future, so he raps with Future. He actually had more chemistry with YC, oddly enough. But it was enough that YC really stepped up his generally sub-par rap game to stand next to Gucci, the T.I. impersonation on "Play Your Cards" was perfect.

I still have to listen to Ferrari Boyz, but yeah, Southside's very very underrated.

Oh, and so far the best rap mixtapes this year are "Blackberry Ku$h" and "True Story". Future fucking killed the rap game this year, without question.

outraygeous

Currently listening to Future - True Story

Trap beats and autochoon, my fave

I dont get why all this stuff is popular, it will be like the NO LIMIT stuff from years ago, easily forgotten.

Actually, trap beats is the wrong term. Just fruity loop stock sounds. I cant hear the rape through the lame beats.

Fatigue on the ears. Sorry, some I like but it all sounds the same

CrowleyHead

It's generic quality is totally understandable. It took me a long time to appreciate any of it.

The thing is, most of these Fruity Loops beats are disposable. But it's the dudes who have rare moments of brilliance who really set the trends... Luger, for example. Which is a good part of why "Tony Montana" was a minor hit. The other producers, like Sonny Digital they don't have incredible staying power. But it works when it works.

A big part of "True Story" for me though is Future's sort of 'pop instinct'. This music is really really commercial, but it's not necessarily a top 40 level of quality. At the same time, Future's such a ridiculously engaging personality, and his hooks are fucking great. "The Feeling I Get" for example is such a banally dorky sort of "I love my fans" record, and for anyone but Future, it'd be utter crap.

Future's best quality is the uniqueness of songs. On the Dirty Sprite mixtape, he had a song with Rocko called "Pajamas", where the chorus was "I GOT YOUR BITCH IN MY PAJAMAS!"

FUCKING GENIUS.

outraygeous

Im gonna have to download it and put it on when Im doing the house work.

If I start spontaneously laughing/swagging it out or something it will be a hit.

Need to give it more time and let them 808s bang

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Current pet hate = mixtape rappers that sound like Lil Wayne/Kanye. You know what I mean, THAT flow. A gesticulating, over-stylised and over-emphasising flow which is highly generic, usually used by rappers with extremely uninteresting voices.

I will try and find examples but maybe I won't, cos I hate them all.

Suppose it must be known as the ''Young Money'' flow?

CrowleyHead

*In the Kanye Voice* "RHYME WITH SUCH EMPHASIIIIIS. OOOOOOH, THEY SO SENSITIIIIIVE."

Kanye's voice almost demands parody, that's what makes it great. When he developed that character he was set.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Here's an example. I don't think he's a shit rapper but that style 1) gets on my nerves and 2) instantly makes me discount him as a rapper to an extent because he just sounds so generic.

It's that kind of slightly high-pitched yelling style that does my head in. Meek Mill is the most irritating rapper in the world (if I listen to him for more than maybe two tracks).

outraygeous

yeah, that just passed me by for the flow.

I even had to check from where he was in the states because I thought it could be a regional thing but no, he just jacked another flow.

I listened to old busta rhymes the other day and I was like - someone needs to come with a flow like that again

CrowleyHead

I don't know, I like Don Trip. Not as much as I like Starlito, who seems to drawl at just the right times, but still.

Meek was better when he was hyperactive. Ever since he's calmed down his flow, it's just not the same.

And on the subject of Busta, man Leaders were kind of an amazing rap group huh? Charlie Brown had the baby Chuck D voice, Busta was Busta, Dinco was kind of there, but you couldn't accuse him of being the guy who served no purpose (a la U-God/Mac Fu). Yes, there was Busta's little annoying down syndrome cousin other than Rampage who's name escapes me, but I always figured he was more of a DJ/Hypeman character.

Someone needs to reassess LONS instead of jacking off to Busta doing speedy rap.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Another example of this nasal yelling/spaz-out style = Danny Brown, on some tunes. Sometimes I like it when he does this but I definitely prefer it when he reigns himself in a bit. I dunno, maybe not even talking about that kanye-style now, although it does still remind me of Wayne.

Almost seems a fitting style to become generic in an age of ceaseless noise (the 'age of information') - it always sounds like the rapper is trying to make themselves heard, makes themselves seem special (ironically only making themselves seem more generic and trend-bound) etc. Again I think of Kanye, the hype he creates around his releases (the ''Good Friday'' thing, this ''Watch The Throne'' hype)... and Drake, another Young Money associate, the way he talks so much about his own monumentality...

Maybe this is just always the case in rap music.

Most mixtapes I listen to at the moment (while a lot of them are great) are almost obnoxiously loud, busy and cluttered. Constant self-hyping ad-libs, DJ jingles/rewinds, the production erring towards Lex-style grenade bass and chittering hi-hats. On the other hand, I suppose you could say that a lot of Lex-style tunes are actually very stripped back, even economical...

Interesting thing about Waka/Gucci on 'Ferrari Boyz', for example, is that although they are often aggressive/shouty rappers, they're also often quite lethargic sounding. I dunno, when I hear - say - Meek Mill over a big trap beat, it sort of makes sense because he's drawing on the internal pandemonium of the beat, but on the other hand I almost feel like you don't NEED someone screaming at a rapid pace over a beat that's ALREADY screaming.

''Thinking'' out loud here, apologies.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
maybe I'm talking shit about meek mill there cos I've just read two separate things about him slowing down (crowley on here, noz on tumblinerb). okay - still, he has a high-pitched whiney voice and it sounds like he has his head tossed back while he's rapping.

BTW - ''Watch The Throne'' - Am I going to HAVE to listen to this?

I think of Jay-Z as my mum and dad's favourite rapper that they haven't heard yet and I've never really been into Kanye. But PPL are slavering over this.

It's that self-hype thing again, isn't it? ''WATCH THE THRONE''. ''THIS ALBUM IS IMPORTANT'' as an alternative title.

CrowleyHead

I'd say don't do it. I listened to it once and wanted that portion of my life back. Most of it sounds like a neo-soul record to me.

Also, Kanye embracing dubstep. SK :( AK :(

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Yeah I'm not going to bother. Never listened to MBDTF either. Just don't care about Kanye in the slightest really, seems determined to be 'important' rather than interesting.

What's Riff Raff like? I've never heard of the dude but Yayo Dancing seems into it. Downloading the comp he put up now, so I guess I'll have an opinion of my own shortly.

CrowleyHead

I feel weird on Riff Raff. Like, he's got a great 'thing'. But... Beyond that, I don't know if he has real sustainability.

He's got the mixtape with TKO Capone from SOD Money Gang and that's great, because the few duet records they have are excellent. One's technical, but kind of suffers Black Thought's Disease, and the other is all persona and very little else. It's like a 'swag generation' UGK or Color Changing Click as Noz suggested.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Quite interested in listening to Riff Raff, but less so having discovered he's that guy in the background of the video in which V-Nasty is being the most irritating person in the world and explaining why she can use the word 'nigga' and fuck all y'all haterz btw.