Hip Hop '11

gumdrops

i know he had some strokes a while back but thats a shock.

always loved nate dogg on this -

prob the best 'hip hop singer' ever? or for gangsta/west coast stuff at least. none of the corny modern R&B mannerisms. tragic that dr dre had to work with guys like akon instead of nate dogg. tragic that anyone had to work with akon actually. (though i kinda liked locked up, and mama africa was nice too. smack that is a guilty pleasure as well)

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
R.I.P. Nate, was only last week that me and some mates were listening to 'The Chronic' singing loudly along to his part on 'Deez Nuts' ('I heard you wanna fuck with Dre-yay! You picked the wrong muthafuckin day-ayyy!'). 41 is very young I wonder what happened.

I like that Young L tune on the last page, I downloaded his mixtape but I've got about 300 other ones to listen to before that. Don't think he's that great a rapper, really.

The Gucci tune is good but I realised listening to it more closely that Birdman's verse is absolutely abysmal. The Drumma Boy beat makes it listenable. Think the whole Gucci album must have leaked, here's a tune off it with Wooh Da Kid on, beat is 'Crank That'-ish, minimal and ominous:

BareBones

wheezy
Yeah i definitely like the beat more than the rapping

oh yeah while we're talking about 50 - is that 'sincerely yours southside' mixtape (the one where he's going over loads of classic r&b jams) worth downloading? sounds right up my street but as you say i'm adding things to my playlist faster than i can listen to 'em...

alex

Do not read this.
Think Nate suffered two strokes, that wasn’t the COD though.

’21 Questions’, ‘Regulate’ ‘Xxplosive’ ‘The Set Up’... man was a machine, such a legend. RIP

alex

Do not read this.
i LOVE get rich or die tryin, not as essential to me as The Chronic (2001 or the original) and some other mixtapes, but 'Patiently Waiting' is so fucking tough.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
No mention of Lil B yet? This guy is mind blowing. He has 200 seperate myspace pages where he's given away nearly 1000 songs. He wears the same clothes every day. Sometimes he incoherently raps about celebrities. Other times he decides to totally nail a 9th Wonder beat. He completely and constantly baffles his haters and his fans alike. I feel this guy deserves his own thread.

With him and Odd Future doing what they are doing, I find myself getting optimistic about the future.

luka

i think GRoDT is much btter than the chronic 2000 although the hits off that are pretty amazing tho now i come to think about it. i wish i had mates to talk hiphop about over here, im really loving it at the moment. ghetto koran is my favourite pr-shooting 50 track, thats a canonical choice i know, but its just so good.

BareBones

wheezy
Oh, right. Cheers. This is a rock I'm glad to have ceased to be living underneath.

you should check out 'rain in england', the ambient album he put out on weird forest last year. it's not the best thing he's done by a long way but it's definitely worth a listen because it's so weird. and there are some really good tunes on there. as far as i know that's the only 'official' release he's done so far isn't it?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I like a lot of Radiohead tunes and some of Thom Yorke's solo material too but can he do a collaboration with a less constitutionally miserable/melancholy artist without it sounding like he's drizzling over it?

arf arf