Go on then.. who's the best UK MC?

luka

I'm not interested in mocking people that try and do something creative with their life.

droid

droid ur whole rhetoric is garbage

im here picking apart your points tryna argue them individually/honestly rather than some strawman shit meanwhile here u are just being smarmy talkin crap

my fault for giving u more respect than necessary though, anyone who says the best uk mc came about 30 years ago is obviously not worth listening to

Ye-ah. Go and listen to some soundclash. You have about 30 years to catch up on by the sounds of it.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

lol. Y'know Daddy Freddy was the fastest MC in the world for about 20 years dont you? That there's plenty of dancehall tunes that roll out at 100bpm+ with double time vocals?

There's barely a handful of grime MC's that would have made it onto the wings of the stage at a dancehall gig anytime in the 80's or 90's, and as for road rap vs US hip hop? Where is the UK's Rakim, Chuck D, Guru, Busta or Dirty?

Daddy Freddy is fucking shit and this is why your nation is always going to be fucked. You keep mistaking people who can DO A THING as being the best. Nobody cares that he can spit random syllables again and again and again at hyperactive speed. You don't see me bringing Lambert, Hendricks and Ross into this thread, even though they could do that with lyrics. SO HOW ABOUT THAT. LAMBERT, HENDRICKS & ROSS IS THE PINNACLE OF UK & US MCING.

Also I'm crying at "WHERE IS THE ROAD RAP CHUCK D". Chuck D is actually, in all essence A WORSE RAPPER, both in rhyme structure and technique than Sneakbo. HANDS. FUCKING. DOWN. The genre has only existed maybe a decade and you're out here with "oh, but why haven't they produced an artist of the stature of US Rap did back in 1988-1993?" I DON'T KNOW, DIFFERING SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC CLIMATES? ROAD RAP DOESN'T FUNCTION FOR ITS AUDIENCE THE WAY HIP-HOP DID?

Not every form of MCing can be weighed against the other by the same criteria. If that was the case, then nobody'd remember people who on technical standards (which you're so infatuated with tonight) were abysmal but influential in US Rap such as KRS, Chuck D, Schoolly D, 93% of Old-School Original Rappers... Like, c'mon!

luka

But nor is anyone entering him into a best mc competition. DROID and trilliam were talking at cross purposes

luka

The reason our nation is 'fucked' in terms of producing a mature, sustainable scene capable of supporting healthy numbers of artists across generations is nothing to do with Daddy Freddy it's a consequence of having a relatively small black population, and that concentrated in a small number of cities.

If wiley gets ambitious and wants decent money he has to make his rolex tune and appear on children's TV. The demographics of the UK do not allow for the breadth and depth of the hiphop scene in the US.

droid

Also I'm crying at "WHERE IS THE ROAD RAP CHUCK D". Chuck D is actually, in all essence A WORSE RAPPER, both in rhyme structure and technique than Sneakbo. HANDS. FUCKING. DOWN. The genre has only existed maybe a decade and you're out here with "oh, but why haven't they produced an artist of the stature of US Rap did back in 1988-1993?" I DON'T KNOW, DIFFERING SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC CLIMATES? ROAD RAP DOESN'T FUNCTION FOR ITS AUDIENCE THE WAY HIP-HOP DID?

Not every form of MCing can be weighed against the other by the same criteria. If that was the case, then nobody'd remember people who on technical standards (which you're so infatuated with tonight) were abysmal but influential in US Rap such as KRS, Chuck D, Schoolly D, 93% of Old-School Original Rappers... Like, c'mon!

Chuck D is an amazing rapper because of his presence, his lyrics, his tone of voice and his authority. The point Im trying to make, which yourself and Trilliam seem to have missed is that 'technical' skill and 'rhyme structure' are not the be all and end all of MC'ng, if it were, Def Jux would be the best hip hop label of all time.

Its a completely flawed argument, like saying that Shakespeare, or Faulkner are shit because we have a McCarthy or a Pynchon.

luka

If you read crowleys last para then that's the point he makes. You lot need to slow down and read properly or you will keep talking at cross purposes

luka

The only person that wanted to use technique as a yardstick was trillIam. Crowleys just doing his usual oedipal routine. You have to learn to ignore that. He's got good things to say when he's not trashing his father's record collection

Last edited:

droid

The genre has only existed maybe a decade and you're out here with "oh, but why haven't they produced an artist of the stature of US Rap did back in 1988-1993?"

Seriously WTF? 'road rap' might be relatively new, but the UK hip hop tradition stretches back nearly 3 decades.

trilliam

If you read crowleys last para then that's the point he makes. You lot need to slow down and read properly or you will keep talking at cross purposes

about read properly, all this shit about horses for courses i already mentioned in my posts on the last 2 pages stay impartial or stfu

But nor is anyone entering him into a best mc competition. DROID and trilliam were talking at cross purposes

if you read properly thats exactly what ur boy droid did, totally misunderstanding the point i was trying to get across in the process

The only person that wanted to use technique as a yardstick was trillIam. Crowleys just doing his usual oedipal routine. You have to learn to ignore that. He's got good things to say when he's not trashing his father's record collection

why do u keep dropping my name bro, further more wtf would you judge the best MC whats the criteria

droid

if you read properly thats exactly what ur boy droid did, totally misunderstanding the point i was trying to get across in the process

No, you made some ridiculous point about rapping at 130 and I mentioned in passing that Dancehall MC's often rap way faster. Simple as.

You're being a bit disingenuous there cos you specifically say road rap

Fine. I have struggled to see how road rap is essentially anything more than a new label for a UK hip hop tradition thats been around since the mid-80's, but I guess thats a failing on my part.