• Grant Nelson/Bump N Flex

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • DEA Project

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • MJ Cole

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Immy

Have to say out all all these producers it was a hard choice as some of them were the foundation but i had to go with wookie as he was a all round great producer and could produce all the light stuff and the dark grimey stuff but with great musical elements and i feel when he stopped making garage the scene felt it as he was one of the producers still making the sound right upon till the grime scene started getting big all the other producers on this list would get my vote aswell if i could vote for more than 1.

Tim F

I would be a trifle annoyed (or "internet annoyed") by that outcome. Luka is right about Wookie.

Maybe I actually hold his "having inspired a whole genre" via "Far East" against him, vaguely (very good tune tho).

But really, the whole "Wookie invented tuff beats" meme = mutherfuckers act like they forgot about The Wideboys.

Yes, "Scrappy", yes especially the life-changing "Down On Me", (and yes on an entirely different tip his remixes of "Sunshine" and also his lovely X-Men remix of Selena's "Give It Up") but otherwise... I'd take these first:

The Wideboys - Something's Got Me Started (Breakbeat Dub)
Once Waz Nice - Messin' Around (Wideboys Remix)
Artful Dodger - Woman Trouble (Wideboys Pick A Pocket Or Two Remix)
The Wideboys - Westside (2 Da Floor Remix)
The Wideboys - Heartache
All Saints - Black Coffee (Wideboys Remix)

and etc.

I remember in 2000 it was like Wideboys tunes were every second track any 2-step DJ would drop.

wise

bare BARE BONES
omg does this
mean wookies won?

I didn't expect this i have to say

Not that surprising (if unjustified) Wookie's the vote for people who don't know their Garage that well i'd say.
His stuff was some of the few Garage bits I was actually exposed to at the time, and he cuts across into the Grime/Dubstep continuum :rolleyes:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
The Wideboys - Something's Got Me Started (Breakbeat Dub)
Once Waz Nice - Messin' Around (Wideboys Remix)
Artful Dodger - Woman Trouble (Wideboys Pick A Pocket Or Two Remix)
The Wideboys - Westside (2 Da Floor Remix)
The Wideboys - Heartache
All Saints - Black Coffee (Wideboys Remix)

and etc.

I remember in 2000 it was like Wideboys tunes were every second track any 2-step DJ would drop.

Nice one - I was about to ask if someone could run through the essential Wideboys tunes, they're one of the garage production groups I've never really got a handle on.

wise

bare BARE BONES
Artful Dodger ft Craig David - What Ya Gonna Do (Wideboys Undisputed Champion remix)
Ed Case & Sweetie Irie - Who (Wideboys remix dub)
Robbie Craig & Gerideau - Who's The Better Man (Wideboys Platinum Beatz Dub)
Shanks & Bigfoot - Singalong (Wideboys Dub)
Wideboys - Stand and Deliver (4 to the floor mix)
Once Waz Nice - What Could I Do (Wideboys Remix)

outraygeous

Is there really talk that Wookie inspired the dubstep scene with Far East?

dont feel like that to me, Storm and Far East were counter reactions to Zinc and Hype at the time.

all part of the breakbeat time of uk garage

anyway, I wouldnt want to give Wookie the title. Not after he shunned garage to make mamby pamby house music

outraygeous

also, I was thinking. EL-B should of been on his own

Groove Chron had a few big tunes, EL-B had loads of big tunes and the EL-Tuff stuff was sick aswell

Grove Chron are 3 tunes for me, 1999, Stone Cold and Myron remix and maybe the flip of stone cold - Hold on.

Benny Bunter

Having El-b and GC together was the only sensible option, I would have had to leave somebody else off the list otherwise. TBH I'm more perturbed about not including RIP on there.

And you forget about this beauty

Anyone heard the original of this? Groove Chronicles turned shit into gold, they really did.

outraygeous

tune was so good, i bought the cd single before the vinyl came out

every mixtape i did for my mates had to start with that tune!

actually yes, where are RIP?!? just looked at the Ice Cream back cat. There are ALOT of classics!

Tim F

Think I prefer groove chronicles to solo el-b, but that may simply be because gc era tunes mean more vocals. Apart from the abovementioned it's about "holiday da vibe", "masterplan" and the damage remix for me, but yeah telefunkin' for the win - I started a mixtape for a friend with it just recently actually! Awesome intro and drop, such a statement of intent.

gumdrops

was there another garage mix of kelis' get along with you apart from the bump and flex one? im sure there was a diff (maybe better) one.

found it -

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm tempted to do a Poll: Greatest Hip-Hop producer thread... but how the fuck would I do that?

I suppose it would include:

Premier
Dr. Dre
RZA
Pete Rock
Marley Marl
Large Professor
The Beatnuts
Timbaland
The Neptunes
Madlib
Just Blaze
Kanye West
Havoc
The Alchemist
The Ummah/Q-Tip
L.E.S.

and many more

could be a good discussion anyway...

or not.

back to garage

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

One of the reasons I voted for EL-B/Groove Chronicles.