• Grant Nelson/Bump N Flex

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • DEA Project

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • MJ Cole

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

outraygeous

I'm tempted to do a Poll: Greatest Hip-Hop producer thread... but how the fuck would I do that?

I suppose it would include:

Premier
Dr. Dre
RZA
Pete Rock
Marley Marl
Large Professor
The Beatnuts
Timbaland
The Neptunes
Madlib
Just Blaze
Kanye West
Havoc
The Alchemist
The Ummah/Q-Tip
L.E.S.

and many more

could be a good discussion anyway...

or not.

back to garage

that list causes me drama just looking at it. Def another round on non voting!

outraygeous

Think I prefer groove chronicles to solo el-b, but that may simply be because gc era tunes mean more vocals. Apart from the abovementioned it's about "holiday da vibe", "masterplan" and the damage remix for me, but yeah telefunkin' for the win - I started a mixtape for a friend with it just recently actually! Awesome intro and drop, such a statement of intent.

no diss to Noodles in case he reads this but was GC more the work of EL-B and Noodles directing him? Seeing at EL-B is such a hiphop head he would of needed some direction to know what worked in the garage scene?

great combo and how could I forget about masterplan. Massive track

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

Another reason.

outraygeous

thats more of an EL-B track in my ears. I just forgot about these ones. That was my fave tune for along time

Has anyone listened to the flip of that vinyl? Some mad monologue thing!

outraygeous

RIP cat is huge, all the 10 degree below stuff as well?

Would be a Tim Deluxe/Omar Adimora/Andy Lysandrou/Andy Mowat combo?

actually, their input was huge on garage

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Yeah its Jeremy Sylvester, I posted it up on the first page. One of my absolute favourites too. In fact every garage/jungle tune I've heard that samples Mary J Blige has been great.

Benny Bunter

Aye thats the one. I think you can actually buy his entire back catalogue of old classics on mp3. He's done loads. All the stuff I've heard under the name G.O.D. has been A+

edit: this might be the large joints version actually, but never mind its still great

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Further to the above track I posted, I've been listening to a lot of New Jack Swing stuff recently and coming round to the idea that UKG was as much influenced by those older rnb records as it was by Timbaland, especially the earlier stuff (before timbos influence really kicked in obviously). If you speed some of those New Jack records up they sound a lot like 2step beats in both texture and rhythmic feel, I'll bet the drums got sampled from them in garage as much as the vocals did.

Need to start a New Jack swing thread off soon methinks.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Swingbeat is definitely part of the DNA of garage, but particularly the earliest 2-Step. You can definitely hear the influence of Teddy Riley's production style on Steve Gurley; the arrangements, the drum hits, the high pitch held string notes etc.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
May as well put this here, the Wideboys are guesting on DJ Q's 1xtra show tonight, along with PSG & Majestic. It's an early hours of the morning ting though so I don't know if I'll manage it.