Vinyl dying (for DJ's)

It's like records without proper intros, they might be DJ unfriendly but they're usually so good they will sell anyway. It's a mark of confidence. I have a Jon E Cash tune that cost me 8 or 9 quid with a 'vocal' a-side and an 'inst' b-side. They're exactly the same track only the so called instrumental doesnt have a two second sample of Kieffer Sutherland saying "black ops". I wonder if part of the reason why classic Grime is so expensive nowadays is down to the fact that it was often at rip off prices when it was released. If you're gonna charge that kind of money the least you can do is give us a proper sleeve.

I could also complain about the universal practice of spindle holes usually being the wrong size.

connect_icut

One of the problems is that, now DJ-centric 12"s aren't keeping vinyl alive, the emphasis has shifted to deluxe editions of albums in "home listening" genres (rock, experimental...) Often this means record buyers being expected to pay frankly ludicrous prices for "collectable" editions of albums they like. Case in point, Stephan Mathieu's A Static Place was one of my favourite albums last year. It's finally coming out on vinyl next month but the label is asking $80 (including shipping) for pre-orders! Naturally, the label is justifying this price by saying the record is very limited and that the packaging is very deluxe. But I just want to listen to that album on vinyl. I know it costs a lot per unit to do a short run of records with fancy covers but it sure as hell doesn't cost that much.

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
Theo Parrish's Scetches 3xLP was £150 on rubadub the other week! :eek:

His recent Amerie remix was £15 for a one sided 12". I bought it, it's gone down well at my occasional residency in Bradford a few of the other DJs asked where they could get an MP3 haha, so was worth it for me.

Stupid price for a 1 sided single (which is just a "mash-up" anyway) - but better than paying £100 for a used copy of Mala's Alicia!

Elijah

Butterz
Great interview. Inspirational. Wish more people locally spoke like that. Agree with so much in there

IdleRich

IdleRich
Good video. Who would have guessed that he cares so much about music that he takes his own needles when he djs?!?!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, sorry, I was being sarcastic about the voice-over bit at the start when she said that. I was being serious when I said that the interview was good though.

guppyslim

I could afford to lose a 900 quid laptop. I cant afford to lose a record bag. Seriously

THIS.

Depending on what you've got in your bag and how big it is, you could often have more than £900 of records with you too, along with having the inconvenience of replacing them

Last edited:

SecondLine

Like one of the more famous ones?

woah. did he get stick for this when he wrote it? obviously it has a basis of truth but it's pretty unhinged

although this bit is on point:

they’ll use pictures of little black children, and black women with afros- things they never could be, and never have been -on their cover art to help complete the illusion of having a truly down, soulful product to offer the market.

rubberdingyrapids

like that theo interview, hes got a lot of heart, and the criticisms about stuff being too easy now do hold some weight, but a lot of it is pretty personal. and its just what youd expect from a guy who made his name in the 90s. its a different mentality.