Vinyl dying (for DJ's)

SecondLine

See again I think selection should always be paramount over any live looping stems and that. You can have everything edited, balanced and whatever before you leave the house.

so, like, making a mix at home and pressing play on it in a club? selection is obviously paramount but there has to be some sense of spontaneity surely?

Difficult to explain precisely why and how spontaneity is an essential factor in DJing but it obviously is..as with any musical performance I guess

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
As secondline said though, it would sound shit if the stems were mixed together without being properly EQ-ed and compressed; can't see any way around that, given tracks of any reasonable complexity.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
so, like, making a mix at home and pressing play on it in a club? selection is obviously paramount but there has to be some sense of spontaneity surely?

Not the whole set if that's what you mean but if you're fiddling with loops I think it's better to have your rejigs put together at home. Then DJ with them out. Not necessarily because of sound quality but we have to maintain some line between Djing and 'live'. We need that focus.

Mancuso, Herc, Hardy, Fabio & Grooverider, 'Sunday Scene', PAUG, Slimzee, Hatcha/Kode9, Supa D and on & on

There are plenty of exceptions and obviously producers are integral and mutual in many respects along but old fashion djing is still key. Oneman/BenUFO/BokBok was the last big shift. Three DJs gave the producers a direction.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
A few months back we were talking about the whole thing becoming a bit rudderless. What DJs have come through or has the balance tilted slightly too far into producers now that everyone can have a go. Crucial nights and mixes getting slightly thin on the ground if you get me.

S

simon silverdollar

i really hate that currently popular style of DJing, of cramming in snippets of tracks against each other. I saw artwork dj at the roska album launch and he played like 20 seconds of eskimo, then 20 seconds of stush, and so on and on. I'd much rather hear DJs who can just step back and let the tracks breathe and build. a lot of DJs now sound like they're flicking through clips on youtube.

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
That was one of the things I thought of at a debate on 'the future of the music industry' (sigh) last week.

What if artists made their mp3s/wavs/... freely available to the normal consumer, but sold a sort of pack with individual parts of the song for dj's? Maybe not necessarily all the stems as you would get for doing a remix, but drum, vocal, synths,... Using these in Ableton, you could create that continuous flow every dj seems to dream of.

This is intresting, an timely.

Doing my uni project at the moment on this, all theoretical, but discussing a way for labels to distribute stems for remixes and DJs.

Ultimately I'm happy with my Vinyl, maybe serato one day. Yet to be impressed by a dude with a midi-controller.

Elijah

Butterz
That was one of the things I thought of at a debate on 'the future of the music industry' (sigh) last week.

What if artists made their mp3s/wavs/... freely available to the normal consumer, but sold a sort of pack with individual parts of the song for dj's? Maybe not necessarily all the stems as you would get for doing a remix, but drum, vocal, synths,... Using these in Ableton, you could create that continuous flow every dj seems to dream of.

We did this for a couple of releases. Never heard of anyone using them in Ableton. People have just done their own remixes and we have played them and thats it.

A few months back we were talking about the whole thing becoming a bit rudderless. What DJs have come through or has the balance tilted slightly too far into producers now that everyone can have a go. Crucial nights and mixes getting slightly thin on the ground if you get me.

*Cough*

Since I stopped regularly going to record shops I haven't met many pure DJs. Prob a coincidence.

Anyone on here still listen to pirate radio?

rubberdingyrapids

still check out live fm though not like i used to. caught deja driving home on sat night which was cool as it was an unannounced spooky set. pirates is a diff issue i think though. no point doing all that legwork when you can just broadcast on the net. just economics really. though i imagine with the net the idea that no one is listening might be even stronger. maybe dj-only djs dont exist much anymore cos theres no motivation to do it anymore. like music journalism maybe.

rubberdingyrapids

or journos that dont want to be mates with people journos arent meant to be mates with.

that idea of being an 'objective music journalist' went out the window a long time ago.

im sure some ppl will say it was never there to begin with but thats just cynical.

blogging i think is diff as thats just like an advert for yourself if you write.

Phaedo

id like to see more big names help bring non-producing djs through, i think it can still work but obviously they need support

awful to think that non-producing djs could die out (apart from residents + bedroom djs). dread to think how bad that would be for the standard of djing too.

most DJ's and producers that want to be taken seriously that I know just vinyl and CDJ's.... seriously, I stand infront of a computer screen enough hours a day, the last thing I want to do is use one will Djing.... really get NO enjoyment out of that

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
id like to see more big names help bring non-producing djs through, i think it can still work but obviously they need support

awful to think that non-producing djs could die out (apart from residents + bedroom djs). dread to think how bad that would be for the standard of djing too.
Out of interest, how much are we all stuck in a post-dubstep lack of perspective here? There are plenty of genres where (afaict) noone's been too bothered about vinyl or laptops or ableton or autosyncing for years - have pure DJs stopped coming through in those scenes as well?

Come to think of it, aiui reggae has always had non-producing DJs who get big from their selection rather than their mixing, so it certainly isn't a no-brainer that automated beatmatching is going to kill off the pure DJ.

wise

bare BARE BONES
most DJ's and producers that want to be taken seriously that I know just vinyl and CDJ's.... seriously, I stand infront of a computer screen enough hours a day, the last thing I want to do is use one will Djing.... really get NO enjoyment out of that

Loads of serious djs use serato