Osama Bin Laden dead

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Shoot to kill missions - what's the legal status of that?

This is likely going to be debated over the next little while, but I think it's not as contentious an issue as some are making it out to be. Osama Bin Laden was the head of a political organization that declared war on the United States. I'm sure the US are going to say that because they were at war, killing him was perfectly legal. What seems less legal to me is the fact his death involved a US armed strike in Pakistani territory. I could be wrong about this though - they just aren't at war with Pakistan.

I actually don't think they intended to kill him as a top priority, i.e. that this was a shoot-to-kill mission. They could've done so much more with him alive, not least destroy his dignity by parading him around in front of TV cameras like they did with Sadaam. I reckon they just figured, after they found him dead, it'd go over better by just saying it was a shoot-to-kill mission. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Its not like any of the states that run around murdering people have ever been to bothered about what boarder they had to cross to do it before. Given what's involved here I don't think we will hear much about it though I can't see Pakistan sending any deathsquads to do business in the US any time soon.

Did he have citizenship anywhere?
He gave up his Saudi pastport afaik.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Apparently he was 'buried' at sea so not to create a grave/shrine. It was done so quickly (within 48 hours) so to be in accordance with Islamic tradition."
"They kept a sample of his DNA to prove it was him."
Yeah, read all this and it makes sense, it's just that I would have expected them to take as many steps as possible to satisfy conspiracy theorists and even just the slightly sceptical - or maybe they just don't care.
Overall seems to be a surprisingly muted response to this from all sides. Possibly recent events have made him less relevant. Less triumphalism than I would have expected as well although maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Leo

There are a ton of loose ends to this thing though for instance how the fuck could Osama reside essentially next to a military academy?

because corrupt factors within the pakistani military and intelligence agency were protecting him.

Leo

Overall seems to be a surprisingly muted response to this from all sides. Possibly recent events have made him less relevant. Less triumphalism than I would have expected as well although maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

they were dancing in the streets in times square and washington dc at midnight last night, and crowds paying respects at ground zero today.

you

This is likely going to be debated over the next little while, but I think it's not as contentious an issue as some are making it out to be. Osama Bin Laden was the head of a political organization that declared war on the United States. I'm sure the US are going to say that because they were at war, killing him was perfectly legal. What seems less legal to me is the fact his death involved a US armed strike in Pakistani territory. I could be wrong about this though - they just aren't at war with Pakistan.

I actually don't think they intended to kill him as a top priority, i.e. that this was a shoot-to-kill mission. They could've done so much more with him alive, not least destroy his dignity by parading him around in front of TV cameras like they did with Sadaam. I reckon they just figured, after they found him dead, it'd go over better by just saying it was a shoot-to-kill mission. Mission accomplished.

sorry, but obama's statement declares that 3 years ago he raised the 'death of osama bin laden' as their top priority - he goes on to explain that when he heard of the lead about his whereabouts he gave the go ahead for the mission....... I am very very dubious of this legality in international law - is it legal to order a military to kill an individual before a trial???? I understand they were at war with each other, and deaths occur in war but is it legal for the objective to be an individuals death??? Not capture, or disarm? Also - that aspect of pakistan being pretty much in the dark and unaware of this particular mission reeks of america being a little gun-hoe ( SP - cant be arsed to check )......

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
because corrupt factors within the pakistani military and intelligence agency were protecting him.

Yeah. In fact, according to a few sources I've read this morning, the US carried out the whole operation without even alerting the Pakistani authorities which is clearly because they thought if they did so they might find he'd mysteriously disappeared by the time they got there. That's the bit that smacks of being a bit illegal to me.

rrrivero

Yeah I meant that as a rhetorical question. Pakistan's been arming the Taliban in Afghanistan so protecting Osama wouldn't really be a deviation from their allegedly US friendly policies

7a600ed6dba66390aa10d612fe6a5a56f4a16d2b.gif

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
tumblr_lkl76bS3Ha1qat9xfo1_500.jpg

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, along with members of the national security team, receive an update on the mission against Osama bin Laden in the Situation Room of the White House, May 1, 2011. Please note: a classified document seen in this photograph has been obscured.

gumdrops

i did not expect that. tho i cant tell what he thinks of OBL from the lyrics.

this is surely the real soundtrack of the last day -

Last edited:

luka

i shouldnt spoil it by saying this but it was recorded before his death and leaked now for obvious publicity reasons.

gumdrops

im still bothered by that stupid ghostface line 'stand back mr bush we in control of this war' on the wu's iron flag album.

saying that though, that team america song is making me feel all pro america and stuff.

i think he shd have been given a trial though, even tho it wd have been a joke of course, like sadaams trial was.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
The right are pissed off that it was Obama's regime that found him - the main thing they're saying is that it's a justification for Gitmo which Obama opposed.