Jackin' / Electroline

Benny Bunter

saving my breath and some brain cells with some cut n paste Tim Finney science (general pertinent jackin points put in bold my me)

3. Nick Hannam & Tom Garnett ft. Tom Zanetti - You Want Me

The grace of simplicity: no tune in 2012 prowled so persuasively as "You Want Me", its tick-tock snare/hi-hat pattern, rustling percussive coughs and owl hoot synth hooks taking their own sweet time to get where they're going, which is basically nowhere.
If there was one tune that could conceivably stretch on for hours and never seem to get tired it's this one (ironically, for much of the year I was stuck with an edit lasting less than three minutes). I can understand why many listeners find it difficult to see much to treasure in jackin's darkly humorous economy of expression, its deliberately exaggerated demonstrations of reserve always interspersed with displays of such gross lack of subtlety that even reserve's typical compensation (that sense of classiness that hangs like a pall over much of the most celebrated dance music in 2012) is forever denied. But really there's no excuse with "You Want Me", which applies this mixture to a pop template with remarkable aplomb and perfect execution: everything from the dead-eyed Shola Ama interpolation vocals (not even in the same galaxy as post-dubstep's glut of R&B cut-ups) to Tom Zanetti's springloaded MC verses ("Okay then / watch what I say then / if you like champagne swing my way then") filled with jackin's characteristic worldly joie de vivre, a celebration of a life in which nothing is ever at stake except the compulsive pursuit of gratification.

10. Donkie Punch & Lorenzo - Snapbacks N Tattoos

For some reason I class Driicky Graham's original "Snapbacks & Tattoos" with Kanye/2 Chainz/etc.'s "Mercy", and though perhaps no one else agrees I reckon it's a on a similar level of "pretty great", really what's not to like about its mutating production and constant lock on hooks, like if you try to tell me you don't nod your head to the slow-mo stutter snares and decaying isotope synths on "uh, show off your hats, show off your tatts..." I'm going to just ignore you for a minute. Still, to my mind it now largely exists as an adjunct to Donkie Punch and Lorenzo's amazing jackin' rework, perhaps the consummate display of Lorenzo's ongoing project of absorbing everything good about the last twenty years of music into his elastic jackin' framework (this may be giving Donkie Punch too short-shrift, but Lorenzo's magic fingers were all over so many amazing jackin' tracks this year that the conclusion he is the secret genius here is almost irresistible). Jackin' is really "endpoint" music, though not in the way that most people mean when they apply that term to dance music - it's not stentorian in its minimalism like Plastikman or replete with subtlety like whatever feted deep house you were listening to this year. Instead, jackin' offers up a kind of science of mainstream dance maneuvers, all those too-familiar riffs and tricks now wielded with an intensified awareness of their operation - combining an artisan's practiced ease with an almost naive reinvestment in the sound of these sounds. On "Snapbacks N Tattoos" you hear it in the tinny reticular snare patterns, the clipped drum roll samples, the gleefulness of the bass deployments, all pushed into super high-contrast such that every sound brims with purpose and portent. I suspect jackin's strong affinity for current rap - never more obvious than here - stems in part from it sharing a similar relation to the constant evolution of the house beat as rap does to its own endless reinvention of rhythm (mannie fresh to lil' jon to lex luger to mike will, and so on); it's an affinity of spirit rather than strict sound that makes jackin much more interesting and compulsive (from any perspective you care to name) than dance producers making "trap" ever could be. And so it's hardly surprising that when "Snapbacks N Tattoos" suddenly veers into its own pseudo-trap breakdown the result manages to surpass even the original's superlative production.

Original thread here http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=94835#unread

Last edited:

e/y

Jimi pointed out that there's jackin' stuff that's very close to tech house. Tim F (as per usual, eloquently and in a very interesting way) described why he likes those two jackin' tunes.

Tim F (and a lot of other people on ILX) also like a certain type of tech house afaik (in particular the mid-2000s stuff from Germany).

So whatever it is that works for him in tech house (a fair number of tracks on say Kompakt were very 'pop'...actually would be cool if M Mayer produced a pop album for someone...) also is maybe there in jackin'?

Benny Bunter

tech house but also garage, bassline, hip hop and pop are just as big factors in this. Tim F also like all of them.

Last edited:

datwun

Benny B: Love those quotes! I love this thread but it's very nice to read a little bit more extended prose on jackin which wasn't written by me lol.

I just don't see the tech house thing. Yeah obviously they use some of the same sounds, they're both digital sounding but most of their sound pallet is nothing alike.
Jackin basically is just a normal (if especially snappy) house beat with big silly vocals and OVERSIZED bass. You can say that if you were to take away the vocals and bass you'd be left with normal house but that's the whole point, those are the features which set it apart.

Vibe wise jackin obviously touches on the 'classy' and 'sexy' of house, but gets it deliciously wrong, that's the whole point. Every single element of jackin reaks of 'ardcore, garage, jungle, funky, all the most jump-up elements of UK dance music. If it's too similar to anything it's bassline, but bassline's wicked so w/e.

Jackin really doesn't need any defence, because it's absolutely smashing it at the moment :)

Anyway, 2:31 at new years was one of the best raves I've ever been to. The crowd knew all the words to all the song and was dancing like mad all night. I was maybe outside smoking for 30 minutes of the 7 and a half hours I was there and the rest of the time I was skankin by the speakers, making friends with strangers etc.
My peak of the night was probably like me and 10 strangers in a circle by the speakers dropping to the floor and getting up slowly for the full minute build-up to the drop of Snapbacks and Tattoos and then everyone absolutely loosing their shit when it dropped. :D :D :D Really special.

Loads of tunes I had gone mental for over at bigtunes, but didn't realise were that big got dropped, as well as all the favourites (You Want Me, twice) and of course non-jackin, house anthems like Au Seve (must have got dropped 5 times or summat)

Everyone was safe as fuck, the music was the best I've heard in a couple of years, very druggy, absolutely insanely good sound system.
I basically highly recommend that any jackin fans get themselves up to Brum or Leeds pronto!

Last edited:

datwun

As hard as I push #jackinwave it doesn't seem to be trending twitter :(

The good news is if you twitter search 'jackin house' you get A LOT of good stuff.

"Listening too some jackin house Tom zanneti shizzle #ifeelarave"

"Dancing round my room in my undies to jackin house 😏😏"

"Should be illegal for me to be playing jackin house on a Sunday morning #SorryGodForIHaveSinned #Church."

Benny Bunter

this Billy Kenny/Scorpz track is giving me chuckles at the minute, totally ridiculous cheeky samples thrown in everywhere, can you spot em all? ;)

We make em drop
We make em shake
WE MAKE THE SPEAKERS FUCKIN BREAK

also LOVE the bit when he phones Tom Zanetti up in the middle for his opinion!

datwun

also LOVE the bit when he phones Tom Zanetti up in the middle for his opinion!

AAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!
:D :D :D
GENIUS!!!!
Grinning like a mad man :D :D

Can u imagine hearing that phone call in a club on drugs tho :O

EDIT:

BOOOY YOU GOT TO ME!!!!

Smile for the camera - low that shit! I ain't getting tagged in a facebook pic

PS. Pure tech-house, that track ;)

Last edited:

denoir

Mike Delinquent just posted this mix, seems like he's moving towards housier stuff, thankfully including jackin...can't wait hear his own attempts at the sound

Chris Gresswell - "Toffee Apple" is such a funky jam, would like to hear more in this vein

whytea

im really torn on this stuff, first I heard of it was seeing Marcus Nasty playing live and there was some really interesting dark stuff, but most of the some I have come across since sounds a bit too cheesy and wigan-pier-ish for my liking

I made this post a few months back I have to say I am certainly coming around this sounds, still can't get past the high presence of mid range and what sounds like dutch house synths

Props to anyone who can recommend me more of the deeper darker side of Jackin'

NATO

Datwun, still waiting on your NYE write-up mate. Hope you've got plenty of incriminating photos to go with it.

Just started that Mike Delinquent mix and...Au Seve, that tune has been played to fuck.

datwun

Datwun, still waiting on your NYE write-up mate. Hope you've got plenty of incriminating photos to go with it.

Just started that Mike Delinquent mix and...Au Seve, that tune has been played to fuck.

I wrote a little bit about it on here! I'm debating how much I want to save for the longer jackin article I'm writing... Got an interview with Lorenzo on friday so will decide then if I want to put it all out together. Got some PRETTY FUNNY NOTES I TOOK ON THE DANCEFLOOR THOUGH #I'mthatguy #loooooooool Got some good photos too: any resemblence between what my face is doing and a gurn is purely coincidental etc.

Yup, Au seve easily got played 5 times at NYE...

whytea: soon you'll loose any notion of standards or proprietary you had before and come to love Dutch house ;)

Nah there's LOADS of good darkside jackin shit! looooads! I'm front loading this for newer stuff

Shake It - SBS & Lorenzo

Brukky Down - Guardians of Darnassus

Narcotics - Brent Kilner (suppose you could say it's midrange/high, but in the spooky Screama bassline way, not sawtooth)

Take It Or Leave It - Aggz

Lil Method - Donkie Punch and Lorenzo (realised this has those dutch synths, but I'd be curious what you think of them in this context given how ruff the track is!)

Eargasm - Sleepin is Cheatin

None A Them - Hannah Wants

Down - Aggz

Your Caress - Ill Phil (amazing cheesy/rave pianos and totally darkside bassline)

Primevil - Lorenzo (pure ruff house!)

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Game OVEEEEEER.

What's the point in carrying on now? :confused:

Was just about to post this.

INSANE

I love the way in some jackin tunes it has the intro with the bassline being played more staccato and delicate, like a rhythmic component, and then it transfers into the drop and suddenly its all SUB (but doesn't sacrifice the frentic movement at all)...

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Game OVEEEEEER.

Brent Kilner tune

What's the point in carrying on now? :confused:

Cor, thats sounds like junglist-house made using trap snare-roll samples instead of Amens.

The more hip hoppier Jackin gets, the more I like it.

Rubber no doubt - Chris Gresswell and Sweet beat.

On a bit of a different vibe from Cause and Affect, just been alerted to this beaut

datwun

Jesus christ this is hard.

Where can I actually go and see this stuff played out in London?

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!!!! This is one of them ones innit!!!!

Re: seeing Jackin in London... I'll let you know next time I'm playing ;)

Otherwise it's a matter of going to Marcus Nasty raves or getting the train to Brum or Leeds.

NATO

This one might be of interest, especially to Datwun.

Check track 9 on this page:
Taking that warp bass a bit further out there.