Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
everything is cancelled, i will not be playing at Guanabara tonight, like i didn't play glasgow last night.

Oh fucking hell mate, sorry to hear that! :( Jesus, what a bummer. Bollocks to this country's stupid fucking red tape.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
dead-eyed, soul-less, and immovable bureaucracy. there is not a single person on whom i can focus any anger - ok the woman seemed to have it in for me from the beginning, but even she was, i guess, merely "doing her job".

feel really, really terrible for the organizer of the event in Glasgow last night, who invested a lot of personal resources, time and energy into it... he got the best sound in town, rented a wicked space, printed posters...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
border police somehow didn't believe me when i said "vacation", and decided to do a check on me. and a quick web search turned up the flyers for last night and tonight. so without a work visa, and having "lied" to them, i was detained over night, and sent back to berlin this morning.

i believe "gutted" is the right expression?

if anyone reads this can you ring up the others who were planning on coming that you know who might not check dissensus before tonight?

was so looking forward to meeting up with all of you tomorrow as well.. fuck.

UKBA are such cunts, and I say that as someone who has some dealings with them through the prison system. Utter, utter cunts.

They just don't stop white people like that - all the people I know to have been 'stopped' haven't been white (both British and not British). Awful fucking racism, I'm afraid to say. :mad:

Really sorry you had to go through that Zhao. Don't think it reflects what all of Britain is like, but there's no escaping the fact that our border police are fascists.

luka

just for th record im white and i get stopped every single time i catch a plane anywhere and everywhere.
massive commiserations to zhao though.

zhao

there are no accidents
i was staying in a room at the "Dungavel" IDC (international detainment center) with 4 other guys from vietnam, india, pakistan, and iran. at least i knew what was to happen when the morning came -- these guys had no idea, and their entire lives were depending on the decision of the system...

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah it was a fun night last night in the end. But what you had to go through is really horrible and ridiculous, very sorry for you.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Wow - what a fucker - sorry about this man. Was looking forward to this a lot. Welcome to the U fucking K eh?

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Confession: I tipped them off that when it came to Jazz you didn't know jack shit. We've got enough ignorant fuckers in this country. Sorry.

;)

Genuinely sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Last edited:

grizzleb

So fucking pissed off when I heard this. I was totally wrecked in another city so could't make it anyway, but would have been down on sunday for the post-sesh. I've seen it happen so many times, but DJs need to get work permits to play in this country unfortunately; from the sheer volume of time's I've heard about this it seems that UK border officials are told to watch out for folk with record bags/music equipment and shit. Pretty ridiculous. Happens to US artists absolutely all the time. Maybe claiming you aren't getting a fee is the only way you could get past it, but I'm not sure about that.

Ridiculous anyway. If people are still doing drinks on sun I might be game.

edit: as baboon says, I've only ever heard of this happening to non-white artists too. Unreal.

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
I find this stuff really embarrassing, like I'm totally ashamed that his happened to you in my country. I literally do not understand why a DJ needs a work permit. Is there a strong anti immigrant impulse among Djs? "Coming over here, using our Ableton...". So sorry, Zhao

Edit: I'll still meet for drinks if it's on. Raise a glass for absent friends. Discuss how techno is basically a European invention ;)...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I'll still be there anyhow, and it's fuckin miles away from me. GrizzleB, turn up man, regardless. We can post Zhao in Solidarnosc from the pub. If anyone got posh computer.

I've known of it happening to white guys - who you might know Zhao. Speak to Snax or pvt me.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Maybe claiming you aren't getting a fee is the only way you could get past it, but I'm not sure about that.

i did try that, as the first show was a benefit anyhow, but this woman brought out the big immigration law book, and showed me the part where it says "including non-paid charity work" with a satisfied grin on her face. later as she gave me the final sentence tried to tell me that she "doesn't enjoy doing this" while she "didn't think i was a criminal or coming to the UK with intention of illegal immigration" but all the same, "everyone should be treated the same".

what... ever...

(minor note, this woman was over weight and wall-eyed. for sure the kind of person who grew up being bullied and teased a lot... but now holding real power over other people's lives.)

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah have a few for me!

the London promoter said for sure we will try again, with proper paperwork. so i WILL eat pickled eggs and drink dark stouts with you geezers sooner or later GOD DAMN IT.

I've known of it happening to white guys - who you might know Zhao. Speak to Snax or pvt me.

who's Snax?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
yeah have a few for me!

the London promoter said for sure we will try again, with proper paperwork. so i WILL eat pickled eggs and drink dark stouts with you geezers sooner or later GOD DAMN IT.

who's Snax?

Ah ok thought you might know him, don't matter. You might want to try the British Council and to get them to invite you over for 'cultural' purposes which will hold some weight with customs x

zhao

there are no accidents
good idea... maybe i try contacting them.

should have guessed you've got one of those no-photo no-info no-wall can't-add can't-message FB profiles Sloane :)

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
(minor note, this woman was over weight and wall-eyed. for sure the kind of person who grew up being bullied and teased a lot... but now holding real power over other people's lives.)

Ah, the 'little Hitler' syndrome...could be...

Ludicrous that you need a visa for unpaid work.