luka

london city of the squares
where you can ride a unicycle down the street and not get slapped.
whereit is safe for you to behave like the street is your halls of residence and no one is there to discipline you

luka

all these prim young men walking around. so neat and tidy. clothes ironed. shirts buttoned up. hair immaculate and very normative. groinal regions blank and smooth like the groinal area of a mannequin.

glasshand

dj panic attack

what do people make of clive in general or has everyone written him off already?

i really enjoy his writing & style but the message is essentially all gassy hypocrisy enit?

eg lefty sentiments and apparent defense of (white) working class people mixed up with intense stereotyping and branding them all douchebags

argues for developing culture in other cities and circumventing the internship mill and then writes constant digs about 'provincial' people for vice in london

all about finding new ways to live but constantly nostalgic for romanticised vision of london 20-30 years ago

luka

Baggy prose. I wouldn't bet against him getting better though. He'll end up at the guardian or freelancing, ID magazine

Last edited:

luka

1 day he might interview Katy Perry or whatever. He could be the next Simon hattenstone

glasshand

dj panic attack
he already writes freelance for the guardian. does very upbeat music comments and interviews, total antithesis of his vice stuff

i didn't know he did a night, glad to hear he's actually getting involved with at least one of the topics of his vice articles

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"what do people make of clive in general or has everyone written him off already?

i really enjoy his writing & style but the message is essentially all gassy hypocrisy enit?"
Is he the guy who does the clubscene write-up things? I enjoy those because I think they are written with a certain naive affection although they invariably wind up those who are invested in the scene as they somehow manage to get offended by him pointing out the ridiculousness (and let's face it - dance music culture is ridiculous) without seeing that, often as not, he's making it sound like fun.
That article is terrible though - I hate people who complain about things like "beer tasting nice" (ironically or not - probably irony shouldn't have a place in this lament for what is basically some kind of authenticity). London is always changing and if it doesn't conform exactly to some vision he has of what it ought to be, based on what it might have been then I don't really have much sympathy for him. Of course there are huge problems with the direction the place is going but as far as I can tell he's totally failed to describe how or why and all that leaves in the article is whining.

luka

Nutshell =sad cunt/soft lad/ nice boy. Don't trust white lads with black lads as twitter avatar

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That article is terrible though - I hate people who complain about things like "beer tasting nice" (ironically or not - probably irony shouldn't have a place in this lament for what is basically some kind of authenticity).

Dammit, you beat me to it. I was also about to slag it off based primarily on that line, but secondarily on many others. As if there's anything inherently great about shit, ugly, depressing pubs that sell nothing but flat Foster's and Walker's cheese & onion.

To be honest he comes across as a try-hard twat who desperately wants to broadcast his unimpeachable edginess by fetishizing things that are either of dubious worth if not simply a bit shit. The whole general feeling that London was a better place when it was more violent. Because, you know, violence, hurrah!

Not to mention that he seems like just the sort of gobby twerp who'd get his head kicked in when there was more head-kicking-in going on. Maybe he'd like that though, I dunno.

luka

The violence maybe did serve a purpose tbf (policing behaviour) but he's too young to remember it.

luka

Probably trite to say policing behaviour but no one who remembers is entirely comfortable with this new softness even if it has obvious and welcome advantages

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The violence maybe did serve a purpose tbf (policing behaviour) but he's too young to remember it.

That's another thing, he sounds like he's being nostalgic for something he never personally experienced.