Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
The London these guys harp on about missing so much just sounds like any big Northern city.

I suspect it's just posturing though I don't think they'd actually live there.

datwun

Clive Martin just doesn't know enough about music. I'm not half as musically informed as most people on here, but even I can see that all references are super lightweight. He's also an aquatences's brother and I know that he simply hasn't actually experienced enough of the world to be as snarcy as he is lol

Probably trite to say policing behaviour but no one who remembers is entirely comfortable with this new softness even if it has obvious and welcome advantages

lol i've hypothesised that less violence in belfast has lead to today's kids more into being cool than hard, trendier, more mixed crowds in terms of gender, race and sexuality. going for coffees and accepting each other and shit, little faggots should be bullied more at school.

was it you who talked about this in another thread.. but then you were jealous of this free-spirited youth?

I like his writing. snooty, hypocritical (it is vice..) but running with crass and cartoonish generalisations based off a few little truths can be funny.. it's just slightly more cerebral playground jibes. you're doing the same in this very thread, though with more brevity.

trza

Has a city of eight million people ever actually died? Can someone send me a message when eight million people just die already?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Atlantis?

It's a myth that Atlantis was physically destroyed. What happened was everyone got fed up with the ludicrously over-inflated property market, lack of good clubs, preponderance of twee coffee shops and transport strikes, and eventually fucked off to Liverpool and Newcastle.

luka

Barney Ronay is better than Clive and Charlie Brooker. He does have a formula though and I'll get bored of it one day

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Does Barnay Ronay feature on the Guardian Football Podcast? I sometimes listen to that even though I've got no interest in football.

benjybars

village elder.
Barney Ronay is better than Clive and Charlie Brooker. He does have a formula though and I'll get bored of it one day

Barney Ronay can do no wrong in my eyes. His cricket articles are the greatest thing currently produced in the English language.

luka

hes defineitly the best comic writer in the media today. when i still bought newspapers his colum was the first thing id turn to. i asked him to be in my film and he said yes but then he got cold feet when i tried to explain it to him

benjybars

village elder.
hes defineitly the best comic writer in the media today. when i still bought newspapers his colum was the first thing id turn to. i asked him to be in my film and he said yes but then he got cold feet when i tried to explain it to him

i hope that's true.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/brixton-fridge-bar-news-updates.328780/#post-13503613

We at the Fridge Bar have decided to call it a day. When we converted what was then a disused boarded up building in 1996 we never thought that we would outlast every other venue in Brixton who started at the same time!

Being a black owned venue has been hard, really hard. The upside though is that I met some fantastic people, clever people, funny people, socially conscious people and to be honest some downright horrible people also! I have been to numerous weddings, christenings and seen job celebrations of people that were so kind as to invite me into their private lives. I loved every moment of those times.

For those who know me they will attest that I love music especially old skool hip hop. I am proud that through my company I first brought artists to the UK such as MC Lyte, Wrecks N Effectz, Audio Two, Kid n Play, Brand Nubian, Redman, Onyx, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, Lady of Rage, Xscape, Jodeci, Mary j Blige. Jay Z, Puffy, 112 and a host of others all performed for me and I have made long lasting connects to this day!

I could not have lasted this long without my brothers earlier input and I thank them enormously. We were the original A Team! All of the DJ’s, I thank you but special mention must be given to Fat Freddie M, who was there from the beginning and guided us through the early groundbreaking times. I had a team that consisted of 1 lawyer, 1 accountant, 2 solicitors and 1 book-keeper. The A squad. I would never name them as I will be working with them into the future!!!

I have seen Brixton change in a way that will ultimately benefit the new demographic that has colonised great swathes of this beautiful area. It is though ironic that the new inward investment did not come when an altogether different demographic was in the majority! Oh well.

I have also seen the influx of new venues catering to that new demographic whom I am certain will get all the help they need from Brixton police unlike other venues who catered for the original demographic in this area who received only condemnation. Being a black business owner in the night time economy you realise very quickly that you are on your own. You also realise that your business can be destroyed at anytime by circumstances completely outside of your control.

You realise also that this system is antithetical to black advancement. You will never be called a ‘nigger’ or a ‘black bas***d’ by those in authority. It is far more subtle than that. They hide behind legislation and smile as they deliver the Brutus like piercing to your back all whilst professing ‘admiration’ for your efforts.

The Fridge Bar will not be returning but we might be in a couple of years if I remain healthy and I can overcome the politics. It is said that ‘behind every good man is an even better woman’. I thank my partner for her unbelievable faith, belief and defence of me, no matter what was thrown at me. I have a couple more hurdles to overcome and then hopefully I can enjoy a well earned break.

I know that despite the brickbats, the set backs and the hypocrisy I am lucky. I have my gifted children who are a credit to this country and more importantly their father. I am very lucky. I will still be about Brixton but happy for the break!!

I will be writing a fairly hard hitting book that covers my time whilst at the Fridge Bar with NOTHING held back and no topic will be homogenised. But for now all I wish to say is ‘thank you’.

Fridge Bar March 1996-September 2015

Peace. R

That's another thing, he sounds like he's being nostalgic for something he never personally experienced.
I would be tempted to argue that that's kind of the point.

disclaimer: I love pretty much everything he writes.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

sadmanbarty

21 pages are a lot to go through, so sorry if I go over ground that's already been covered.

Sonically, London hasn't produced innovative music since brostep almost a decade ago, but has anywhere else?

In terms of nightlife I think it's lacking, that being said Deep Tech nights were fairly exciting in 2013/14 and if you can get over race and class embarrassment Afrobeats and Bashment nights are fun.

London labels (Planet Mu, Hyperdub) have been commendable in pushing Footwork and as such a lot of the most interesting Footwork in this time has been geared towards London, rather then Chicago, listeners.

trza

I didn't read the 21 pages either but sweeping generalizations about a city with eight million people, based on as little as one business closing doesn't sound wise. Places close, new ones open up, neighborhoods change, the past is the past. One wave of new people replaces another. Its the most basic part of urbanism. The worst kind of "death" a city can have is when people stop going there, when the well of human capital dries up.