Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, when I lived there was so much more mixed... still, no point in complaining when I spent so many years (internally) cheering on the process. Kinda weird to admit that the people who moaned about it from the start - people I laughed at as old, bitter and out of touch - might have had something of a point.
Aren't the Fat Whites massive anti-gentrification activists, or at least agitators? Or they like to bill themselves that way, anyway?

Just wondering if this topic had ever come up in conversation with them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Aren't the Fat Whites massive anti-gentrification activists, or at least agitators? Or they like to bill themselves that way, anyway?

Just wondering if this topic had ever come up in conversation with them.

I think that was Lewis more with his Make Peckham Shit Again baseball caps, he got Saul to wear one for a few photos but I'm not sure how much he cared.

shakahislop

i guess a defining feature of Europe is that it's orderly. it's weird when europeans come to america how some of us love the disorder and others find it an offense to thier sensibility

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i guess a defining feature of Europe is that it's orderly. it's weird when europeans come to america how some of us love the disorder and others find it an offense to thier sensibility
A weird thing about the US is the cack-handed attempts to impose order, though - like laws on 'jaywalking', or laws against drinking in public that you can circumvent by putting your bottle of booze in a brown paper bag.

shakahislop

there's a dude in tompkins park at the moment who plays guitar through a load of pedals and makes ambient stuff, he's got a big amp and its pretty loud

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think that was Lewis more with his Make Peckham Shit Again baseball caps, he got Saul to wear one for a few photos but I'm not sure how much he cared.
Oh right, that would make sense. Is Lewis a lecturer in Self-Promotion Studies yet? I feel that he should be.

maxi

A weird thing about the US is the cack-handed attempts to impose order, though - like laws on 'jaywalking', or laws against drinking in public that you can circumvent by putting your bottle of booze in a brown paper bag.
I wondered about the jaywalking thing but no one cares about that at least in new york. In fact cars still turn into the road you're crossing when its a green man if you approach it too meekly

Saw the brown paper bag thing a few times though which is quite funny

There was a scene in the wire where they explain it

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I wondered about the jaywalking thing but no one cares about that at least in new york. In fact cars still turn into the road you're crossing when its a green man if you approach it too meekly

Saw the brown paper bag thing a few times though which is quite funny

There was a scene in the wire where they explain it
"Pint of elderberry", WTF?!

shakahislop

the dive bar scene is one of the great things about new york compared to london. went to about 25 over the course of a week and a half lol. Do or Dive, 101 Wilson, Birdy's, Farrell's, Welcome to the Johnsons, The Magician, are some of the names I remember. Found it weird that they all have only one lone toilet but it's always free cos americans don't drink that much and the bars are less busy than pubs here. Pool halls were also fun

Comedy Cellar was amazing and aziz ansari showed up unannounced. Andrew Schulz killed it with a routine about suspecting his doctor is trying to impregnate his wife

I saw Le Monte Young's dreamhouse and the earth room (literally just a room full of earth, quite boring). -- Moma was the best art for me really. was kind of blown away by how much incredible 20th century art they actually have there, had to go a second time for a whole day. Moma PS1 was mostly rubbish but they put on fun parties there, just missed DJ sliink cos he was late and had to go to that greek place

Coney Island was extremely fun. went on the cyclone and got a nathan's hot dog. bit of a weird vibe cos I had to go on my own that day but still enjoyed it haha

saw some insanely crazy shit on the subway multiple times which I won't even go into lol

for sure the earth room is a big pile of earth. i get a lot out of it but it is very much in the eye of the beholder obviously. was the curator dude there? so far as i know he's been looking after it and sitting there for something like 20 years. i read a post-apocalypse book once which described how that specific man had died in the apocalypse, which must be weird for him if he knows about it. but then he has decided to spend his life sitting next to a flat full of mud so that might be the kind of thing that would appeal to hi.m.

version

"Furious locals have blasted plans to build a 300ft-high 'Crystal Ball' in east London which could be covered in animated adverts for the next 25 years."

shakahislop

san francisco actually is comprehensively dead. dead and buried. murdered. no-one even talks about it anymore. none of your alt types are going to move there. and yet it was a beacon for decades. the most comprehensive example of something like this.