routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
someone said earlier that there's nothing interesting about something that's perfect, that applies to music as well

something that's flawed is usually more interesting, even if it's not "better"

no. how can something you don't like be perfect? for something to be perfect (to you) it would need to have flaws (and therefore be imperfect to someone else). but then you would get to know it and inevitably get bored with its predictability as a listening experience and it would cease to be perfect (to you). that's not to say on a different day you wouldn't cherish that predictability and it would still be perfect (to you). lol

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
If ever an image needed a caption....

zeus.jpg

DON'T FUCK WITH GOD!

robin

I'm not good at lists but I wanted to put this in here

Only know about it because of "Paydays" by Currensy but i love this beat

loads of stuff in this thread i want to come back and post about but for now, whats the story with currensy?

i've heard the name but don't know anything by him, fairly impressed with him on that tune, what else has he done thats good?

luka

this aint a mixtape, pilot talk on and two and his project with alchemist covrt coup. that will keep you going for a bit, long enogh to decide whethr or not you like him.

Esp

Even forget Wu-Forever, remember the lean years? Remember Immobilarity, every post-Tical Method Man album?

The minute you can 'textbook browse' for what rap you SHOULD be listening to, everything gets ruined. So many rappers who never made classics are still essential... Like, how many Biz Markie albums are on these lists!? Or what about Arrested Development! These lists filter out some of the best aspects of hip-hop, the NON classic, the temporary.

Like, fuck, I downloaded a bunch of retarded Papoose freestyles. Do I regret spending as much time on them? Yeah. Did I suddenly stop thinking "And if I'm bleeding in the ER, don't supply me sorrow./Just pour some Hennessy into my IV bottle!" is an incredible line? No!

Totally agree with this. Also I think the problem with constructing a definitive canon of LPs is it sort of desensitizes the music and removes all emotional context. To me it doesnt really represent the actual process of listening to and appreciating music, its kind of like saying 'this is what I would have spent my teens listening to if my mate with the good soundsystem hadn't been such a big DMX fan'.

Like Ludacris 'Word of Mouf' is one of my favourite albums because I associate it with being 16/17. Its what everyone was listening to at the time and so it reminds me of all the excitement and uncertainty that comes with being that age. I have no similar memories of Eric B and Rakim Paid in Full even though I'd accept its a far better album.

Another example for me would be a mixtape by DJ Skully called No Hands. I would never expect anyone to include a DJ Skully mixtape in an all time greatest list but that tape introduced me to Slum Village, Quasimoto, Big L among others and properly blew my mind at the time. When deciding on your personal favourite albums it seems a shame to ignore those albums/mixtapes/radio shows etc and just acknowledge the LPs that you think are objectively the best works of art in terms of beats and lyricism.

CrowleyHead

That actually reminds me, DJ Drama was asked to do a 25 favorite mixtapes. Obviously, he included himself quite a bit, but he included stuff like the legendary DJ Spinbad "Rock The Casbah" mix. That's a fucking list, all additions of Chris Brown on it aside.

luka

slackk you want 90s memphis basically. its very hip at the moment so theres lots of information.

luka

Derek B Rock the Beat
(1987, Music for Life)

This is what allmusic.com has to say about rapper Derek B:

British rapper Derek B elicited some mild response from his debut release, Bullet From a Gun, on Profile. He displayed decent rapping skills and the beats were competent, if not awesome or outstanding. It did not make a substantial impact on the hip-hop or R&B front, however, and also failed to register on the pop scene.

What they left out of their bio was this record's seminal role in shaping the sound of New Orleans Bounce. Breaks copped from this appeared later on one of Cameron Paul's DJ Battle Weapon Beats & Pieces compilation's, under the title "Brown Beats", a name that both stuck and helped obscure the roots of its sample source. This became the second most important record for bounce sampling and the first instance of a British rapper breaking into the American market. To throw around a back-handed complement about beat competence is some real bullshit. Allmusic should change their site name to something a bit more narrow.

http://twankleandglisten.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html

yeah that's basically what i was talking about but i was lean and got a bit too hyped off youtube bits and pieces.

have basically decided now that Kingpin Skinny Pimp is the best MC from that era I've never heard of and downloaded all his stuff in minutes.

I knew all the bait stuff like the Three 6 Mafia Kings Of The Underground tapes and kind of followed youtube from there.

I know there's a lot of it about at the moment but most of the MCs just don't cut it really. Probably because they're trying to emulate a flow/cadence that only really seems to work if you're from that area.

But yeah, Kingpin Skinny Pimp is too much. If he still exists I want to make music with him