luka

lik whats th best trick daddy album? how am i supposed to know? the best pastor troy album? you need to know these things to construct a canon.
do a little list crow....

Last edited:

luka

i take the official line... that run of mixtapes dedication 1 and 2.... drought stuff.... i like the first 2 solo albums to for slightly differnt reasons

luka

They tell me don't get high, and i should try to make a living,
I tell them I'm a hustler and I'd rather make a killing
My eyes get so wide as it rise in the skillet,
I let my bitch bag it, if she spill it, Imma kill her,
I bulletproof the ride, now I feel like armadillos,
And fuck you, hospital, young money, we the illest,
And I ain't gotta lie when I tell you I'm the illest,
My flow is nasty, like C Y Phyllis,
Self made G, and them bitches know the business.
Relying on rap, but in the kitchen I'm a chemist,
And when I was 5, my favorite movie was "The Gremlins"
Ain't got shit to do with this, but I just thought that I should mention,
You looking for divine and the little intervention,
And them birds don't fly, without my permission,
I'm probably in the sky, flying with the fishes,
Or maybe in the ocean, swimming with the pigeons,
See my world is different,
Like Dwayne Wayne,
And if you want trouble, bitch, I want the same thing,

CrowleyHead

Supposedly it's either the 1st or 2nd Pastor Troy LP that's the best. No idea on Trick.

One of the issues of these lists is they jack off the artists, and they celebrate that shit... but you know, they never talk about the negative influence.

Take Cuban Linx; pre-CL, NOBODY IN NYC was a coke dealer (except the real Azie, but that doesn't count). Maybe Biggie, but even then, it was more of just a gangster rap thing, not that glammed out. Then CL Comes around, and BAM! Everyone's wearing stupid suits, pissing off the D.A., snorting in their album skits...

Nas went from trying to reach mars to moving weight. It was that simple. Nobody talks about how after that, how UGLY the NYC climate turned. It was inevitable that the Bobbito scene would emerge, because who wants to deal with a bunch of sneering fucking dudes who are really ARTISTS.

Another example, compare early Showbiz & A.G., where it's sub-retarded freestyles over funky beats, to those two attempting to be 'hard' over 'smooth' production. Shit's gross.

But will they ever address how much DAMAGE CL did? No. 'cause IT'S SOOOO GREAAAAT. People need to consider flipsides to things. Wu-Tang totally ruined a lot of 90's rap. That whole 'happy rap' movement got killed in one fell swoop.

luka

you and my (much younger than me)stepbrother made me pay attention to mannie fresh

luka

re. nas on illmatic he has 'dreams that im a gangsta'
on it was written hes pretending he is one...escobar... i agree its a big difference... rap became a lot more dishonest.

CrowleyHead

Am I who I think I am?!?!?

I'm a new Fresh convert actually. Always took the No Limit side, didn't get Cash Money until I was older for whatever reason.

I can actually do a list of "Moments where rap got it wrong." "THE TOP 50 'GOD-FUCKING-DAMNIT' MOMENTS, BY CROWLEYHEAD".

luka

not you, pilhead. think he wrote a fair bit on mannie at the turn of the century....might be wrong tho....

luka

dru down. e-a-ski. blac monks. dj pooh. spice 1. kilo g. tela. mc eiht. esg. fat pat. king tee. mc breed. trae. hawk. Rappin' 4-Tay. celly cell. mac mall. brother lynch hung. z ro. the dayton family. kam. mc breeze. young bleed.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
What do people think of The Rub's Hip Hop History mixes as an exercise in cannonization? They've got the advantages of not being stuck on albums, of having a lot more space to fit less obvious stuff in, of being forced to give pretty much equal attention to all eras.

But I'm not knowledgeable enough about hip hop in general to know what they've missed, so it could be skipping whole regions of stuff or whatever...

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
my idea of good shit is if it was played on stretch and bobbito between 90-94 then it more than likely is dope.

luka

re. the rub, i approve of them peresonally but theres nothing on them you wouldnt have heard on london radio at the time. no its nostalgia for me rather than discovery if you know what i mean and im intereested in learning new things at the moment. alternative histories.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Well yeah, the best lists are always the ones that are unashamedly personal and subjective and controversial and incomplete, rather than being carefully tweaked to be completely authoritative and utterly unsurprising.

CrowleyHead

Someone actually put the Bo$$ album on a list. I mean, yeah, it's ghostwritten by the dude from Royal Flush out of Texas, but the fact that this list is someone who really considers P.M. Dawn and Bo$$ as SERIOUS RAP ALBUMS is profound. I like it, in other words.