trilliam

lots of guys here who know what hip hop 'is'..

most of this golden age early nineties shit is lacking.

all about reverence not quality, suppose that's what canon is for though.

echevarian

babylon sister
I'll put E-40 up with some of the greatest, in his early years I would definitely call him an album artist,
I don't think he's stayed at quite the same level of quality over the last 15 years. But I think he's put out better music than Nas or Jay-Z have over the last 5 years.

Seriously he's a golden era artist who stayed relevant for 20 years!

Who else can you say that about?

8ball and MJG, I just love the beats on that album.

Last edited:

echevarian

babylon sister

It just pisses me of when I see Pac and Digital Underground on lists and E-40 gets the shaft. First single came out in 91!

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

I co-sign a lot of the E-40 praise.

As far as LONS being a singles group, you're ignoring how influential the 2nd LP really was. YES, I'm totally serious when I say that. That whole Time LP was obviously an influence on Wu-Tang's early singles and approach. Really odd attempts at marrying Freestyle Fellowship style to more trad-'hardcore'-92 Hip-Hop.

@luka; Dude, I have made friends who swear by his indie debut "Soulja Rags". I can only co-sign three songs from that LP that I've heard, but they're definitely all prime Juve. The title track alone is basically "Ha" but less polished and darker.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
ATCQ are def overrated - way too tasteful.

what does way too tasteful even mean?

but it does seem to be a conspiracy that they're mentioned as all-time greatest.

not really, they belong up there with the top echelon. i have a feeling if you were a hiphop head in 91 you would have felt what everyone else felt at the time when low end came out - what the fuck is this? it was the freshest shit and influenced so many people who followed. it sounded fresh for years after it was released. maybe there's a bit of having to be there at the time, but personally i only started listening to that album in like 2001 or something and i just 'got' it straight away.

if you want, watch this to get some more perspective on their impact

That song above is a bit PE-lite though

so what?

no? I like it all the same.

well exactly isn't that what matters? and PE aren't the only one to use a boiling kettle sample.

DITC most underrated, overall

hmmm.

"Scenario" is overrated as fuck. Yes, posse cuts are always fun when they're completely innocent, but if I hear someone tell me ONE MORE TIME HOW MONUMENTAL BUSTA'S VERSE IS, they're getting it.

overrated? nah, it's deserves the rep. it's just been oversaturated. busta's verse is good but it's the tune as a whole. the pure hype of that vamp behind the beat and the whole energy of the crew. when you watch it with the video it's even better. busta's style obviously suits that vibe really well.

Busta's Solo Career is drastically overrated

yeah but those few singles that were good are enough to make it easy to forget all the crap on his solo LPs. love his videos too.

and even then, low end theory is like the album even tribe haters should like. scenario anyone?

it's an album that people who don't even like hiphop caqn enjoy

most of this golden age early nineties shit is lacking.

all about reverence not quality, suppose that's what canon is for though.

nah, golden era is called that for a reason. it really was a high point in youth culture. and yeah maybe a lot of it doesn't stand up now. but the same goes for most genres.

echevarian

babylon sister
29 albums and 1 mix tape that I listen to, not in order.

The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
2Pac - Me Against The World
N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton
Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Ice Cube - Death Certificate
Eric B & Rakim - Follow The Leader
Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Wanted: Dead or Alive
Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Live And Let Die
E-40 - In A Major Way
Run DMC - Raising Hell
Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
Too $hort - Life Is .. Too Short
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message
Mantronix - Mantronix: The Album
Nas - Illmatic
Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt
Geto Boys - We Can't Be Stopped
Scarface - Mr. Scarface Is Back
Big L - Harlem's Finest (mixtapes better than the album)
Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmusik
Outkast - ATLiens
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
Common Sense - Resurrection
Odd Squad - Fadanuf fa Erybody
8Ball and MJG - In A Major Way
UGK - Riding Dirty
Wu Tang Clan - Enter The 36 Chambers
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
T.I. - Trap Muzik
Three 6 Mafia - Da End
Juvenile - 400 Degreez

I don't really care about a canon as a concept, but these albums significantly effected rap as it exists now.

The early 90s Native Tongues stuff was pretty much a dead end from the perspective of this guy who grew up in the 90s. I'm 27, BTW.

Last edited:

echevarian

babylon sister
I should also add that I see 90s Cali stuff as an outgrowth of 83 era electro hiphop.

Mantronix->Egyptian Lover->World Class Wreckin' Cru->Dr Dre, E-40, Too $hort

Songs like California Love would be a good example.

luka

would be good to get away from arguing about tribe. good on you scarboi for throwing somes names out. frankly i dont have the familiarity with regional styles, memphis, bay area, houston etc (particularly in their formative years) to be able to recommend things in good faith. i'd be blagging. for example ive downloaded eightball ang mjg albums over the last couple of years but iv never bought one and got familiar with it, learnt lyrics etc.... same with the earlier three 6 stuff, i love it but its not in my blood yet, i havent lived alongdside it closely enough and for long enough

luka

master ps first album came out in 1991. the south incubating all types of stuff in the early 90s. three 6 stuff.... histories id love to know more about.

echevarian

babylon sister
Well if you've got Spotify a lot of this stuff is up there, either as parts of greatest hits albums or in their original form.

Check out that Odd Squad album, or the Three 6 greatest hits, there's an 8ball and MJG greatest hits too.

Maybe listen to Mr Big by them?

Three 6 Mafia - Late Night Tip

That's off a different album though.

Odd Squad - Like Dope

echevarian

babylon sister
Here's one of my favorite Texas tracks from the mid 90s.

Wish I could find the DJ Screw version, its epic. Roger Troutman chopped and screwed.

Here's another Three 6 Mafia track:

A lot of this is just friends from the factories I've worked in hooking me up.
Most of the people who grew up in the South and the Midwest had a completely different set of classics than NYC or even Cali styles.

I had a hard time deciding which Three 6 album to put up there, Ch. 2 and Mystic Stylez have some great tracks too.

And the Geto Boys were just as hard.

Last edited:

luka

i dont know what spotify is but actually i have a lot of this music, all the famous ones. mystik styles unbreakables the end koopsteer knicca prophet posse mistah dont play comin out hard f heaps of cash money some no limit but its just scratching the surface... how many dj paul tapes are threre alone? tommy wright III Rivaside Clique DJ Squeeky..... my point is partly i dont want to see a canon drawn up by anyone that doesnt know these stories

luka

gangsta nip.... never knowingly heard gangsta nip..... ant banks ditto.... kingpin skinny pimp.... thats a good name....

Last edited:

luka

id rather hear this than a song calld something like 'vibes and stuff' or 'jazz thing' or anything with ron carter playing live bass.

echevarian

babylon sister
Well like I said: albums I listen to, not a canon.

I've got an Ant Banks 12" around here somewhere, he made a lot of the music for rappers in San Francisco.

A lot of this is second hand knowledge for me, music passed to me by friends from the midwest, mostly from one guy from Kansas City.

CrowleyHead

I could do a personal rap canon, but the thing is, what affects me apparently didn't effect everyone else the same way...

I mean, I was raised by a guy who basically taught me "Look, the 90's was where everything fell apart. Once you go past '92, most of it all turns to shit." Which is hilarious because everyone has this weird notion that '88-'96 is the peak years.

So like, I remember DMX's Debut being THE GREATEST MOMENT IN MUSICAL HISTORY. Yes I was a scrawny little white kid who would beg my dad to play the cassette after he'd pick me up from Religious Education classes (because I was not hard); but I also remembered the kids from Queens who I'd hang out with also knowing every song off that album, and all their big brothers, and all their dads, and etc. You ask people about those times now, and they get this brainwashed face where they remember "Money, Cash, Hoes", and they're convinced The Roc was that great musical moment.

Another thing; I believe in the KISS style of MCing, so whereas everyone loves Beans as a rap-genius, I hear a guy who can't really flow on beats with no charisma. Wheras, oddly enough, I though Bleek was swagged out, just, never could say anything you could remember.

PERSPECTIVE!