How England Sees Itself

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
jubilee weekend was the best lesson in how totalitarianism would function though. collective zombie madness. tell us what to think, so that we don't have to let our real thoughts in!
A nice thing about climbers is that as soon as you give them an extra day off, for whatever reason, they all make tracks for the remoter corners of Scotland or the continent. As a result of which, I tend to be blissfully unaware of all these outpourings of patriotic zeal...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
At the moment they're also trading on the (also very british) tendancy to revel in cynicism and pessimism - people telling each other, with barely concealed glee, that it's time to take some harsh medicine and accept that we're not living in some sort of cloud cuckoo land where one of the richest nations on earth can afford some sort of basic social safety net...

It's not inherently right-wing or misanthropic to point out that the government's coffers are not infinitely deep. But it does rather ignore all the things we still lavish billions on while cutting back on benefits because "we can't afford it": endless unwinnable military ventures, bailouts for appallingly mismanaged and overexposed banks, arguably the most intensive public surveillance/data security programme in the democratic world, inefficient and self-serving offices of regional/local government, costly private providers of what used to be non-profit-making nationalized services, The Greatest Show On Earth (tm)...

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
I think it's too easy to absolve people from blame though as if they genuinely played no part in the decisions they made. the vast majority of people on benefits did not work hard at school and had little interest in education or work. fair enough there could be myriad reasons for this, some of which are beyond their control, but it doesn't change the fact that there are those with unemployed parents who work as hard as possible to change their situation. and absolving everyone on benefits of responsibility for their position devalues that work, it implies that making it out of poverty occurs simply by chance.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Comment I read on the Guardian message board re an article about Barclays fraudulently manipulating LIBOR

This is heartbreaking stuff. When I was a kid we, the British, were the good guys and my father explained his pride in this. I'm glad he's dead.
Says something but I'm not quite sure what.

"I think we have yet to see the full extent of enforced-patriotism. There's still the Olympics to go. Any whiff of a non-conformist lack of orgasmic joy at the coming events will result in an ASBO. It will be interesting to see how the world views us after this, and the riots it will hopefully spawn."
Speaking of which, has anyone heard the pomp-rock behemoth from Muse that is gonna be the official Olympics song? I literally cannot work out if it's a joke. There are the lyrics (er, apart from the "yes awesome" bit by the guitar solo - the guy who put it on youtube has presumably added that himself)

Race, life is race
And I am gonna win
Yes, I am gonna win
I'll light the fuse
And I'll never lose
And I choose to survive
Whatever it takes
You won't pull ahead
I'll keep up the pace
And I will reveal my strength to the whole human race
Yes, I am prepared to stay alive
I won't forgive
Vengeance is mine,
And I wont give in because I choose to thrive

And I am going to win

--- GUITAR SOLO---
(Yes, awesome)

Race, it's a race
And I'm gonna win, Yes I am gonna win
And I will light the fuse
And I'll never lose
And I choose to survive
Whatever it takes
You won't pull ahead
Because I'll keep up the pace
Yes I am going to win.

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Win! Win! Win! Win!
YES I'M GOING TO WIN.

What do you think? Can it be serious? Surely that's not what they were asked for...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think it's too easy to absolve people from blame though as if they genuinely played no part in the decisions they made. the vast majority of people on benefits did not work hard at school and had little interest in education or work. fair enough there could be myriad reasons for this, some of which are beyond their control, but it doesn't change the fact that there are those with unemployed parents who work as hard as possible to change their situation. and absolving everyone on benefits of responsibility for their position devalues that work, it implies that making it out of poverty occurs simply by chance.

Just because a small minority of people raised in difficult circumstances make superhuman efforts to raise themselves from those circumstances, isn't the point though. It sounds like a rehashing of the American 'anyone can make it, therefore don't complain' li(n)e.

And dividing people into the Stakhanovite (sp?) and the feckless is a polarisation that bears no relation to reality. What of those people brought up in difficult economic backgrounds who work moderately hard, just as hard/harder than their equivalents who were brought up in better economic circumstances and automatically get 'good jobs'? Are they just told to work harder?

Also, working hard just to be accepted into a classist, racist system that has marginalised you and 'people like you', is problematic on a psychological level, no?

I'm sure you didn't mean your comments this way, but I don't think apportioning blame to the least well-off within a radically unfair system, helps anyone.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well it's always tricky to say exactly how much of someone's situation is down to them and them alone and how much of it is to do with intractable social forces they have no control over. I don't know about "the vast majority" but yes, there are people who pay no attention at school and end up with no qualifications and as a consequence are virtually unemployable. It's hardly surprising that people who aren't academic or simply aren't very clever have no particular enthusiasm for an education that places paramount importance on academic learning almost to the complete exclusion of practical manual skills. Of course there are fewer manual jobs now than there were in the past but people still need builders, plasterers, plumbers and all the rest. There's no provision for learning these kinds of skills at school and certainly not enough opportunity to train for them once you've left school, so it's hardly surprising that these jobs are mainly done by immigrants from eastern Europe.

Edit: there's also the fact of Labour's insistence that everyone and his dog go to university and the profusion of frankly third-rate institutions that sprang up to cater for this. Though it remains to be seen what effect 9k tuition fees will have on this in the long run.

The other factor, especially pertinent to the opening of borders within the EU, is the simple fact that people from poorer countries are generally willing to work harder and for less money than people from richer countries, especially countries that have traditionally had a well-provisioned welfare state. But this fact is taboo in leftist circles because people immediately jump on it as a case of "blaming immigrants", whereas it's not a case of blame but of simple economic reality.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Race, life is race
And I am gonna win
Yes, I am gonna win
I'll light the fuse
And I'll never lose
And I choose to survive
Whatever it takes
You won't pull ahead
I'll keep up the pace
Yes, I am prepared to stay alive
I won't forgive
Vengeance is mine,
And I wont give in because I choose to thrive

And I am going to win

--- GUITAR SOLO---
(Yes, awesome)

Race, it's a race
And I'm gonna win, Yes I am gonna win
And I will light the fuse
And I'll never lose
And I choose to survive
Whatever it takes
You won't pull ahead
Because I'll keep up the pace
Yes I am going to win.

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Win! Win! Win! Win!
YES I'M GOING TO WIN.

Christ, it's like a mash-up of We Are The Champions and Eye Of The Tiger. With shades of Laibach-esque comedic-ironic fascism but without the comedic irony...

IdleRich

IdleRich
As it crescendoes a gust of wind from nowhere has just blown through the house sending the blinds billowing in an appropriately dramatic way. Amazing.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
all I'm saying is I lived on a road of feckless benefit cheats until about a month ago and they spent most of their time eyeing me provocatively and ostentatiously smoking. one of them threatened to remove my front door with a hammer lol. so it's hard to want to help them. because for me they represent the entire working and non working poor in this country.

tbh though I just don't like people that much, we should cut the welfare system and start giving more to animal charities.

Leo

because for me they represent the entire working and non working poor in this country.

umm...i know plenty of good, honest, decent working and non-working poor. in fact, i've been one at earlier points in my life. yes, cheats should be kicked in the ass and tossed off benefits, but you're painting in mighty broad strokes there.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
sounds like a peter cook monologue.

in that spirit, animals are undeserving cunts.

edit: post before last, obv

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
because for me they represent the entire working and non working poor in this country.

Yes, very good.

don-t-feed-the-troll_13314.jpg

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
umm...i know plenty of good, honest, decent working and non-working poor. in fact, i've been one at earlier points in my life. yes, cheats should be kicked in the ass and tossed off benefits, but you're painting in mighty broad strokes there.

well they did all have faces like knock off picassos

vimothy

yurp
Well, there was a clear attack on or critque of Vimothy's supposed world-view here, but not mine. Is it worth reviving the debate on English and/or British society now that:

I don’t remember if I ever responded to Luka’s comment, but perhaps it’s worth saying something now and trying to tie it into the broader picture.

One thing that I agree with Luka about is that it’s important to strike a balance between the needs of the group and the needs of the individual. Groups are hollow without individuals, and individuals can’t realise themselves without groups.

With that said, I think it’s clear that modern liberalism does not achieve this. It puts the individual at the centre of everything, and tries to prevent groups from having any influence on people’s lives. Instead of something that is moderate and temperate, what we have is completely one-sided.

It’s not totally coherent either, so we’re constantly failing to live up to our impossible ideals. No matter what we do, it’s never enough, and people conclude that society conceals some limitless intrinsic evil that works to frustrate our natural right to “be the authors of our own selves”.

Attitudes towards groups in general are a good example of this. People think that inclusiveness is good per se, and that exclusiveness is bad. But this isn’t something that makes much sense, since to include something is necessarily also to exclude other things.

Liberals want to include everyone in principle, but they’re not sure what it is that they’re bringing them into. That’s why we get these periodic and wryly amusing contortions about British and English identity. “What does it mean to be British?” the intellectuals ask. "Can being British unify British people?" Other intellectuals shout them down for their xenophobic tendencies.

It’s a circle that can’t be squared, though. As soon as being British (or English, or whatever) is meaningful, not being British is also meaningful. But this is exclusive and divisive. So if inclusiveness is the highest standard, being British can’t be allowed to be meaningful in any substantive sense.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
With that said, I think it’s clear that modern liberalism does not achieve this. It puts the individual at the centre of everything, and tries to prevent groups from having any influence on people’s lives. Instead of something that is moderate and temperate, what we have is completely one-sided.

This is true for white native British people. The New Labour style of multiculturalism placed enormous emphasis on 'the [whatever] community' as far as immigrant groups were concerned, and gave (relatively) huge power and prestige to their unelected leaders. Who are very often religious figures. Hence organizations like the MCB.

Edit: interesting post though, this is clearly a topic close to your heart.

Last edited: