The United Militarized Police States

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i think zhao knows this, but chooses to ignore it because it doesn't fit with the idea that our current order is the most oppressive, exploitative and unjust ever..

In fairness, zhao said "Capitalism is only the latest manifestation of the real problem", which I think he dates to the time when humans started banding together in groups of more than a hundred or so. I happen to disagree, or at least think this is a very biased and emotive view, but it's not the same argument that everything was fine until capitalism came along and ruined everything.

[Which rather raises the question, when did capitalism arise? I would define it, more or less, as a system under which money itself can be used to make more money - in other words the beginning of modern banking and the stock market, roughly the early modern period. Interesting how many ancient cultures had such a taboo on lending money at interest (Jesus evicting the usurers, for instance, and the rather roundabout way lending is conducted in Muslim cultures to this day).]

zhao

there are no accidents
How many tyranies existed in the pre-modern world? Shitloads, clearly. You don't need phonetapping technology if there are no phones. Look at the power held by the Church in Europe in the middle ages, or the theocracies in pre-Colombian America.

i think zhao knows this, but chooses to ignore it because it doesn't fit with the idea that our current order is the most oppressive, exploitative and unjust ever.

nothing in dark ages europe is better than what we have now. any imbecile knows this.
again you are conflating pre-agricultural history with the middle ages.

look, one last time i will explain my position:
all the major fucked up shit started happening AFTER AGRICULTURE and LANGUAGE, about 10 - 12 thousand years ago.
in case you didn't know, the Dark Ages was about 500 years ago.
the Pre-Civilized Band-Level societies I am talking about, happened BEFORE WRITTEN LANGUAGE, MORE THAN 12,000 years ago.

let me know if you still don't understand.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Bruno, it is not ok to side step replies to your statements just because they present arguments inconvenient to your position.
if you have no counter argument, you need to acknowledge the points i have made, and concede to their logic.
please address the following:

what makes you think decentralised groups are incapable of violence against each other and others?

violence against each other:

not incapable, but the values of many examples of currently functioning (in 2011) Band-Level and even some Tribe-Level societies suggest that violence is kept to a bare minimum and reduced to almost non-existent. things like selfishness, greed, competition and assertion of ego are intensely frowned upon in such "primitive" societies, from South Africa to Indonesia to the Amazon forests.

violence against others:

It should be clear that war arises from complex social ties, and its scale exponentially expands with the size of the social groups which are in conflict. From the level of 60 people who share everything with each other who has not much trade with other such groups, to the level of conflict between nation states which binds its citizens together with ideological conditioning, the capacity for violence increases exponentially.

how is it that a country like finland, to give one example, can achieve its level of well-being in a peaceful way, with respect for human dignity, today, within a largely capitalist framework?

this sounds like Steven Pinker's ridiculous proclamation in his new book: "Wars between developed countries have vanished...". um... vanished? really? for how long? 60 years?? that's like saying "i quit smoking. 3 minutes ago."

small pockets of peace within a constantly warring world demonstrates nothing in terms of the success of such social organization in avoiding war.

it is like saying "because 1 out of 10 Cancer patients (in this one tiny little study) did not die from it, therefore Cancer is not a fatal disease, and we should figure out a way to live with it, rather than try to find a cure".

it appears that the most common perceptual distortion when it comes to this stuff is a problem with SCALE, especially when it comes to TEMPORAL DURATION. people constantly think data from a few decades, or even a few centuries, is enough to draw some kind of conclusion. and constantly equate how humans have behaved for 10,000 years with how they have behaved for 800,000 years.

surely there is a way of living freely now, with the tools we have, and with respect for each particular culture, without having to devolve into some tribal order.

your notions of evolution and devolution, progression and regression, "advanced and civilized" VS. "primitive and under developed" are out-dated remnants of Social Darwinism, as invented by the Colonial mentality to justify its violence. Such ideas worked very well together with other "sciences" such as Eugenics and Racism in shaping the world we know today. It is the conceptual structure which makes possible things like the "civilizing nature of Empire" ---- the duty of superior white men and their western civilization to teach the brown god-less animals how to properly behave.

and can we live "freely", and peacefully, without war, within the framework of global capitalism and the structural inequity, pandemic injustice, and systematic cruelty it entails?

NO.

bruno

est malade
i'll indulge you, zhao.

violence against each other:

not incapable, but the values of many examples of currently functioning (in 2011) Band-Level and even some Tribe-Level societies suggest that violence is kept to a bare minimum and reduced to almost non-existent. things like selfishness, greed, competition and assertion of ego are intensely frowned upon in such "primitive" societies, from South Africa to Indonesia to the Amazon forests.

it is you who is picking and choosing. for better or worse, we have more in common with the romans, greeks, phoenicians, persians, ancient china, etc. all at war at one time or another, than with these 'primitive' societies you mention. in between chopping off heads and burning villages, these aggressive, militarised societies advanced the arts, medicine, architecture, philosophy/ethics, science, trade, all the bedrock of our culture and thought that you take for granted. the naval and military has also spawned a huge body of knowledge that you put to use if not every day, at least indirectly every time you use a navigation system, that you ship something from abroad, etc. in the chilean case, part of our makeup is also a native society, the mapuche/araucanians, who fought chile pretty fiercely while maintaining their eco-friendly way of life. the nation state you live in, as imperfect as it is, is a highly advanced, largely peaceful society that has perfected itself into what it is today after a seemingly endless cycle of war in the european context. the point is that our common heritage has allowed us to advance, and it is you who picks and chooses what you rescue from it at your convenience.

violence against others:

It should be clear that war arises from complex social ties, and its scale exponentially expands with the size of the social groups which are in conflict. From the level of 60 people who share everything with each other who has not much trade with other such groups, to the level of conflict between nation states which binds its citizens together with ideological conditioning, the capacity for violence increases exponentially.

ten thousand years ago there were at most a million people spread out over the earth, of course there was less conflict. and your solution is to go back to this. tell me, how on earth do you propose to take 7,000,000,000 people and reduce them to groups of less that 100, while ignoring the existence of nation states, cultural differences and so on? this insistence on going back to a pre-agricultural state is completely insane, and i say this as someone who broadly agrees with your suggestions for sustainability and other sensible things.

this sounds like Steven Pinker's ridiculous proclamation in his new book: "Wars between developed countries have vanished...". um... vanished? really? for how long? 60 years?? that's like saying "i quit smoking. 3 minutes ago."

small pockets of peace within a constantly warring world demonstrates nothing in terms of the success of such social organization in avoiding war.

it is like saying "because 1 out of 10 Cancer patients (in this one tiny little study) did not die from it, therefore Cancer is not a fatal disease, and we should figure out a way to live with it, rather than try to find a cure".

it appears that the most common perceptual distortion when it comes to this stuff is a problem with SCALE, especially when it comes to TEMPORAL DURATION. people constantly think data from a few decades, or even a few centuries, is enough to draw some kind of conclusion. and constantly equate how humans have behaved for 10,000 years with how they have behaved for 800,000 years.

of course it's temporary, but europe in particular has had a long run of peace during which (parts, at least) have advanced greatly, people are much better off today than they were sixty years ago. better a short period of peace than none at all. and how do you propose to do away with violence altogether, separate a nation by force into little enclaves as oliver suggested humorously? what is your solution to violence that does not involve some fantasy partition?

your notions of evolution and devolution, progression and regression, "advanced and civilized" VS. "primitive and under developed" are out-dated remnants of Social Darwinism, as invented by the Colonial mentality to justify its violence. Such ideas worked very well together with other "sciences" such as Eugenics and Racism in shaping the world we know today. It is the conceptual structure which makes possible things like the "civilizing nature of Empire" ---- the duty of superior white men and their western civilization to teach the brown god-less animals how to properly behave.

you blatantly ignore the incredible cruelty and warring nature of non-white empires the world over, again to suit your narrative.

and can we live "freely", and peacefully, without war, within the framework of global capitalism and the structural inequity, pandemic injustice, and systematic cruelty it entails?

NO.
we are living freely, or as close to freely as possible within this order, right now. not all the world, unfortunately, because war is profitable, and income distribution is highly unequal, but there are tools at our disposal and knowledge at hand that are there thanks to the industrialised/capitalist/centralised societies you detest, your laptop for one thing, and that can be used to enlighten and achieve a better way of life, not an imaginary super advanced pre-agrarian life with laptops and psychedelics, but a good life with the people and cultures we have.

bruno

est malade
In fairness, zhao said "Capitalism is only the latest manifestation of the real problem", which I think he dates to the time when humans started banding together in groups of more than a hundred or so. I happen to disagree, or at least think this is a very biased and emotive view, but it's not the same argument that everything was fine until capitalism came along and ruined everything.
you're right, mr. tea, it was hyperbole and i apologise. i need a cup of coffee.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
[Which rather raises the question, when did capitalism arise? I would define it, more or less, as a system under which money itself can be used to make more money - in other words the beginning of modern banking and the stock market, roughly the early modern period. Interesting how many ancient cultures had such a taboo on lending money at interest (Jesus evicting the usurers, for instance, and the rather roundabout way lending is conducted in Muslim cultures to this day).]

Tea, read Erich Fromm's The Sane Society on this - it's extremely good, few chapters devoted to just this question. it's been too long since I read it for me to be able to summarise though....:eek:

luka

for those too dimwitted to notice oliver craner was taking the piss. he is a deeply embittered man. he doesnt know what h thinks about this subjct because, well, he hasnt thought about it.

slowtrain

This is a good thread.

I have enjoyed it.

I think simply, a massive part of the reason for the fucked-up-ed-ness of the world today is simply too many people.

This just makes it all the more impossible to "drop out" and actually attempt to find legitimate ways to divorce oneself from the "control mechanisms" without actually defining yourself by going against them or whatever.

I'm not sure what to do.

This thread has also made me very depressed.

I might buy a gun and a house in the desert and live on DMT.

zhao

there are no accidents
for those too dimwitted to notice oliver craner was taking the piss. he is a deeply embittered man. he doesnt know what h thinks about this subjct because, well, he hasnt thought about it.

i had an inkling with the biodome. and pol pot sealed it

luka

well as you know nz is the world capital is people trying to prepare for the end of the world. half my cousins are trying to grow vegetables. its hilarious.

slowtrain

well as you know nz is the world capital is people trying to prepare for the end of the world. half my cousins are trying to grow vegetables. its hilarious.

Most people I know have semi-successful vege gardens.

I think if there was a WWIII I would move back in with my parents. They live halfway up a mountain and fairly close to the ocean.

I only one person who is legitimately preparing for the end of the world. He is a bit nutty. I think he watches those 'zeitgeist' movies.

slowtrain

Well I don't think there will be any 'The Road' style events, but I think to say that 'nothing is going to happen' is just silly, things happen every day.

bruno

est malade
yes, it goes without saying that i meant an end of the world or something of that nature. and if it does happen, there is no point in worrying about it. what matters is the life you have now, who you love, what you read, what you see and feel. there is no guarantee you will be here tomorrow, end of the world or not.

zhao

there are no accidents
thanks for the reply.

for better or worse, we have more in common with the romans, greeks, phoenicians, persians, ancient china, etc. all at war at one time or another, than with these 'primitive' societies you mention.

so what if we have more in common with people from earlier "civilizations"? does it mean we are cursed to live with inequity, subjugation, and war for ever and will NEVER be able to steer our way of life toward a more manageable, less cruel path?

so what if we've had a lot of bullshit like ego and individuality and nationalism stuffed into our heads, and have NEITHER true personal freedom NOR a real sense of connection to community? if i can quit smoking... ok maybe not such a good example... if people can ever change, we can collectively choose a better way of life. if humans are anything, we are adaptable to any conditions -- after all, we did get used to THIS fucked up way of life which began only 10k years ago!

in between chopping off heads and burning villages, these aggressive, militarised societies advanced the arts, medicine, architecture, philosophy/ethics, science, trade ... the naval and military has also spawned a huge body of knowledge

1. maybe (a very big maybe) farming became necessary due to climate change 10k years ago and the reduction of natural resources, and larger populations followed. all of this MAY have been unavoidable, but i'm not sure if the evolution of power, or the specific course it took, necessarily happened the way it did. in other words, and of course this is a huge area of contention, i think the same advancements could have occurred under different social systems.

2. in summing up the gains, people always fail to consider the losses. and there are ALWAYS losses. it is a fundamental law of the universe -- you win some, you lose some, with every choice you make. and the things that we have lost by taking up sedentary life, agriculture, centralized power, are while much more difficult to innumerate, certainly epic in scale, detrimental to our well being, and has had massive consequences which i believe can explain much of what is happening today.

one small example: all the major diseases such as cancer caused by agriculture's reduction of the diversity of our diet.

the difficulties we face when evaluating these losses since the advent of "civilization" are numerous, here are a few off the top:

a.nearly zero record of the experience of our ancestors prior to written language exists, and thus we can only learn from modern day people who retain more or less the original lifestyle, and infer from available archeological data, and logical deduction.

b. the top-down social systems we have adopted ever since, from Shamanism to Monarchy to Capitalism, all have an inherent interest in preserving its own brand of order and perpetuating itself, and thus erasing and misrepresenting other ways of life as inferior.

c. confirmation / rear view mirror / and other kinds of biases. things happened this way, so we think there was no other way it could have happened.

in the chilean case, part of our makeup is also a native society, the mapuche/araucanians, who fought chile pretty fiercely while maintaining their eco-friendly way of life.

why not dare to dream: a society which takes the best of both indigenous and modern lifestyles and methods.

the nation state you live in, as imperfect as it is, is a highly advanced, largely peaceful society that has perfected itself into what it is today after a seemingly endless cycle of war in the european context.

i take immense issue with

1. "largely peaceful": the current peace and prosperity in Germany, in the US, UK, is directly dependent on the suffering of millions, and causes abhorrent living conditions in subjugated lands. driving an SUV is exactly the same as being carried by 100 slave humans -- except the slaves are somewhere else in the world, paying for our luxury with their reduced circumstances.

2. "AFTER an endless cycle of war": again: i quit smoking. three minutes ago.

ten thousand years ago there were at most a million people spread out over the earth, of course there was less conflict. and your solution is to go back to this. tell me, how on earth do you propose to take 7,000,000,000 people and reduce them to groups of less that 100, while ignoring the existence of nation states, cultural differences and so on? this insistence on going back to a pre-agricultural state is completely insane

i have never, EVER, not once, not even 1/10th of once, suggested anything along the lines of "going back to" the way it was. i have NEVER said a whole-sale return to primordial ways of life is at all possible, or even preferable.

what I HAVE always said, again and again, is that we need to learn from modes of social organization which has served us much better, and for MUCH longer than the fucked up way we live now.

this straw man of me wanting everyone to throw away the wheel and live in caves has come up so many times that by now it is really starting to feel disingenuous.

how do you propose to do away with violence altogether, separate a nation by force into little enclaves as oliver suggested humorously? what is your solution to violence that does not involve some fantasy partition?

this is another popular rhetorical fallacy: "keep quiet if you don't have a better alternative"

no: it is not necessary for the critic of a system to have an alternative solution ready, in order to make that criticism.
(a film critic does not need to be able to make a better film)

there are many better ways to organize every aspect of human life, some of which we can see by looking at our ancestors, but i have no idea how, when, or if we can make the transitions to adopt them.

you blatantly ignore the incredible cruelty and warring nature of non-white empires the world over, again to suit your narrative.

none of this has anything to do with "race", and i do not ignore any of the violence which predate European colonialism, be it the exploits of Genghis Khan or inhumane practices of the Mayans.

there are tools at our disposal and knowledge at hand that are there thanks to the industrialised/capitalist/centralised societies you detest, your laptop for one thing, and that can be used to enlighten and achieve a better way of life, not an imaginary super advanced pre-agrarian life with laptops and psychedelics, but a good life with the people and cultures we have.

and we should use them!

look. i am not saying that ALL or even MOST of humanity lived in prefect harmony with each other and the world, ALL or even MOST of the time prior to the end of the last ice age. but it is enough if SOME of our ancestors did, for sustained periods of more than merely decades or centuries.

there is a lot we can learn from that, if we only drop our modern conceit and the biases our "civilization" has cultivated in us. that's all.

Last edited:

luka

1. "largely peaceful": the current peace and prosperity in Germany, in the US, UK, is directly dependent on the suffering of millions, and causes abhorrent living conditions in subjugated lands. driving an SUV is exactly the same as being carried by 100 slave humans -- except the slaves are somewhere else in the world, paying for our luxury with their reduced circumstances.

now this incidently was woebots reason for supporting the iraq war interestingly enough. he was th only person i talked to who supported the war and gave an honest reason for his support. he said our lifestyles are predicated on the sufferings of millions and if we want to maintain that level of luxury we cant be squeamish about violently suppreessing the thrid world. its what its all about.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Haven't the time now to digest that big post, zhao, but I think farming took off because it provides a more reliable source of food than hunting/gathering. It's just that much more time- and land-efficient to have crops you can harvest and animals you can slaughter (or milk, and then slaughter) according to your own needs rather than relying on what you can forage and hunt.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
now this incidently was woebots reason for supporting the iraq war interestingly enough. he was th only person i talked to who supported the war and gave an honest reason for his support. he said our lifestyles are predicated on the sufferings of millions and if we want to maintain that level of luxury we cant be squeamish about violently suppreessing the thrid world. its what its all about.

his reasoning is erring on the side of glibness (making things even worse isn't the point, rather confronting how bad things already are for most people), but it also contains a lot of truth...