No Giles Peterson on Radio 1, Skream and Benga given permanent show.

luka

i dont like jazz funk i sort of hate it but i do like jazz and gilles peterson introduced me to a lot of good jazz.

luka

and he got a lot of quite good bum boys/imitators too. i used to listen to ross allen on glr and patrick forge on kiss and i remember benjo b being the tea boy although ive never heard his show now hes graduated from tea duties. he loved gilles so much he even tried to talk exactly like him. pretty weird.

rubberdingyrapids

the guy on rinse is also the same. i cant remember his name but its bearded rev or gentle kev or something like that.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
This track always sums up the best of Gilles Peterson for me, we used to have the show that this was from on repeat for years at the Horse Hospital, for a few years just before Dizzee he got the vibe just right. Forever grateful to him for turning me onto this song and this mix, it's one of my all time favourites. Perfect get up in the morning and feel good about the world music.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited:

luka

patrick forge and gilles p were contemporaries weren't they? they did that jazz night in camden together

they were yes, just that patrick never managed to gete out of gilles shadow.

So Radio1 got a UK Rap, Dubstep,a few mash up shows and no Grime show. Come on

The only way grime would ever have gotten a show was if there was going to be a vocal grime show a few years ago.

Instrumental grime doesn't have the awareness/momentum to get a show on radio 1 and there are about four good MCs left actually making grime.

Why would grime get a show on radio 1?

Elijah

Butterz
The only way grime would ever have gotten a show was if there was going to be a vocal grime show a few years ago.

Instrumental grime doesn't have the awareness/momentum to get a show on radio 1 and there are about four good MCs left actually making grime.

Why would grime get a show on radio 1?

Whats Charlie Sloth going to play F64s?

There are loads of actual tracks and mixtapes coming out of UK rap. Loads.

Whether or not the quality is there is arguable and dependent on taste but you'd have no problem finding enough material to do that show

Not a chance of doing that with grime. Sad but there isn't.

Elijah

Butterz
Regardless of how talented the MCs are and how great the mixtapes and youtube freestyles are, you still need them certified bangers. They are definitely not there atm in Rap or Grime.

Elijah

Butterz
Atm he presents a Saturday morning show, so not much UK Rap, but thats what the Radio1 show will be

Simon78

Atm he presents a Saturday morning show, so not much UK Rap, but thats what the Radio1 show will be

Never heard of him before but if he's playing Road Rap I will have a listen. There is supposed to be a Road Rap show on some station but I've never really seen many details so haven't found it.

If he's playing Road Rap won't every other word be bleeped out? Might get annoying.

luka

theres a weird video on youtube of english frank presenting him with a tacky watch and a bottle of fizz. i'll find it if i can.