Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hmm. It seemed fairly obvious to me that that's what's meant to have happened, and it would hardly be out of character for young Joffers.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I literally have no idea what anyone is talking about on this thread, but this site is the most hassle-free I've found for easy catch-up on episodes of all the major shows, thought it worth sharing:

http://watchfreefullepisodes.com/watch-game-of-thrones-season-2-episode-1.html

Watched all of Homeland in about two days, which is more TV than I've watched for two years. Unfortunately it turned into a more manic '24', disappointing given a promising start.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You have an overactive imagination. AFAICT that was a traditional mace beating, not a mace rape.

I think the implication was there but it was left ambiguous. Quite effective really, leaving it to your imagination. I thought of Joffers when reading that child psychopathy thread in 'thought'.

It's no wonder Theon believes that its better to be thought cruel than weak, with a king like Joffers in charge.

I'm starting to wonder where half the cast of GOT are from. Some of the accents are abysmal - is Jon Snow really a Northerner? There's something very forced about his accent. He's a very funny figure, with his perpetual scowl. Him and Theon are in an arms race to decide who is the biggest loser in the seven kingdoms.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Kit Harington is from Worcestershire, IMDB tells me.

The accent thing is kind of strange, isn't it? Westeros is a continent, right - which should make 'The North' equivalent to Scandinavia, or even Canada. So why is it that everyone from north of some arbitrary line talks in a generic Tyke accent? If people from Winterfell sound Yorkshireish, shouldn't the Wildings sound Scottish? Or at least Geordie? (Ha, that would be wicked, wouldn't it...)

Maybe the directors considered this but then thought it would be lost on American audiences, I dunno.

With Joffrey, the basic principle seems to be that whenever you think he's about to do something horrible, think of something worse than that and that's probably what he's going to do.

Last edited:

luka

i enjoy the acting in game of gnomes. denise tarragon and her dragons i could do without. and sean beans pretty lads im not sure about, but mostly i like the cast.
tyrion, tywin, catlin, arya, joffrey, sansa, ceres' eyebrows....

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Alfie Allen as Theon is another example of an awkward accent actually. He makes up for this by having an angular face that reminds me of a dog's.

Baelish has probably got the greatest ridiculous accent of them all though.

I liked the scene in the latest episode between Tyrion and Cersei, it was very like the scene in series 1 with her and Robert. You know, the one where she showed that she wasn't just an ice-cold bitch goddess?

And I liked Jamie Lannister taunting Cersei with the TRUTH about Ned.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And I liked Jamie Lannister taunting Cersei with the TRUTH about Ned.

Don't you mean the other way round? Or have I missed something?

Cersei is a great character, no doubt (eyebrows and all). As Tyrion points out, her one redeeming feature is her love for her children - we even saw a 'soft' side to her in the last one when she confided to Sansa that Joffrey is "difficult to love". As if Sansa hadn't figured that out already. She'd be too much of a cartoonish Bitch Queen From Hell without these little touches, and I think they're very well done.

Having said that, I think she's going to make good on her promise to seriously fuck Tyrion's shit up quite soon. Just as well Shae's a tough cookie, she's really gonna have to watch her back.

I hope they don't go overboard on the magic/supernatural stuff for the rest of the series, as I think it has the potential to overshadow the awesome power-politics and intrigue. Stannis's [edit: dur, Renley] death was a bit lame I thought, altogether too deux-ex-machina. Or diabolus-ex-vagina, whatever.

Last edited:
D

droid

Stannis hasnt died - you mean Renly. Jaime was taunting Catelyn.

Whilst I agree that the acting in general is of a high standard, I thought the Brienne/Catelyn swearing in scene to be execrably stiff with terrible dialogue.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I hereby appoint droid to the position of official Maester of Names, since the rest of us clearly don't know a Tyrell from a Tully.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
tumblr_m3rycpUJET1rutnfao1_1280.jpg

I've spent too much time on game of thrones tumblrs tonight :mad:

D

droid

Trailer for the next episode looks good. First proper battle scene so far - hope they do it justice.

I read the first book and decided the style was so televisual that I could just save time by watching the tv show. Apparently G.R.R. Martin worked in television for a while – and actually wrote some of the episodes for this as well, including the one that's coming up.

...which is directed by Neil Marshall!