Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I was going to wait until I'd finished with Breaking Bad before I started on this but I caved (thanks for the link, Baboon!). Already halfway through the first series so it must be pretty addictive. I like the scale of it and all the political intrigue going on, it's very well plotted I think. Also like how they sporadically chuck in these gruesome/shocking 'OH SHIT' moments, like with the jousting in the 4th episode.
(Breaking Bad is great too, but the sort of thing that I find I need to take a break from every so often).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
tumblr_m34f56lnZs1r3tjk9o1_500.png

"MATT DAMON!"

BareBones

wheezy
well late with this, just watched all of seasons 1 and 2 in a few weeks, what a corker of a show and i normally hate fantasy stuff

I can't believe it took me the best part of season 2 to clock that bronn is bloody jerome "robson and jerome" flynn

D

droid

Just popping in to say - fuck GOT and Martin's nonsense. They should have made Joe Abercrombie's first law trilogy into a TV show instead. It's just as grey and gritty, arguably better written, but most importantly - it's finished.

D

droid

Dont you understand? This show will never be finished. He's spent a year writing about 50 pages of book 6. He's got probably 2000+ to go before its all done, plus the quality has already taken a massive nosedive.

D

droid

the tv writers will provide an ending. nothing to worry about.

Yeah... maybe, and maybe that will be better, but TBH, despite Martin's uselessness Im not sure anyone else could pull it all together satisfactorily. The TV version would need to start deviating from the books very early to avoid the narrative hole he's dug himself into.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You reckon? I thought they've held it together well so far, especially considering the rapid proliferation of subplots in the second series. Then again I don't really watch TV these days and this is the first non-comedy series I've properly followed since Sopranos, so my judgement may be off.

Also, big up whoever added tags to this thread, very good.

Last edited:

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Yeah, I guess it's just that plot ingenuity and sturdiness are not the reasons I watch Game of Gnomes. I just take it and enjoy it for what it does well. Costume design, casting, locations, the occasional nice one-liner.

D

droid

Oh yeah. Casting, costumes, and locations. That's what was missing from the books!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
To be honest, it could just be hour-long installments of Tyrion Lannister being a lovable wisecracking schemer with occasional interludes of violence and tits and I'd be perfectly happy.

D

droid

What is/was good about the first 3 books (at least) was the use of multiple viewpoints to slowly draw out the contradictions in (most) of the characters and to explore a rich, interweaving history and morally morally ambiguous world which confounds standard fantasy tropes.

zhao

there are no accidents
To be honest, it could just be hour-long installments of Tyrion Lannister being a lovable wisecracking schemer with occasional interludes of violence and tits and I'd be perfectly happy.

why i'm happy with just that 0.5 second GIF animation of him slapping Geoffrey