blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
I think he's called fucking Joffrey, which is even more reason to watch that gif cycle round a couple dozen times.

D

droid

I hear season 3 is on the way soon. Still reeling from my encounters with Abercrombie.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Anyone seen episode one of season 3 yet? Great to have it back, despite a few boring moments.

I luuurrrrrved the scene with Tywin and Tyrion.

The CGI was also good, and I'm excited to see some more fantasy elements bleeding into the show now that the 'real' world is firmly established.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Thoughts on the season so far?

I'm generally digging it. Some characters introduced in the last season are maturing nicely, especially Marge Tyrell; cute, clever, manipulative, potentially *very* dangerous - but for whom? - and perhaps the only person who can realistically dare to try and influence Joffrey, now that he's not even listening to his mum any more. And Granny Tyrell is already one of my favourite characters outside the obvious series stalwarts like Tyrion and Tywin.

Speaking of Tywin, the change in Cersei's face from smugness to horror as Tywin announced Tyrion's impending marriage to Sansa and then hers to Loris was priceless, wasn't it?

And the ongoing tribulations of Jaime and Theon are almost - but not quite - enough to start making me feel sorry for them.

Good to see things looking up for Jon Snow, at least as far as da honeyz go. His head-first approach was commendably brave, I thought, I mean how often do Wildings get to wash, do you reckon?

If I have a criticism, it's that there's almost too many sub-plots (and sub-sub-plots) to keep track of, so the episodes can seem scattershot and often a particular thread won't be treated at all for an episode or two, so you have to think back to what happened two or three weeks ago. Would it better if there was slightly less going on but if each thread was treated more fully?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I prefer the battle of wits/backstabbing/politics to the magical aspects, bit more interesting.

Co-signed, in fact I've been thinking this since the first season. I think they've balanced it fairly well so far, kind of hoping the later seasons don't descend into a dragons-vs-White Wankers CGI free-for-all, which would no doubt look awesome but would probably be a lot less entertaining on balance than a good ten-minute scene involving Tyrion/Cersei/Littlefinger/Varys or whoever.

Definitely agree that we need more Bronn! And yes, Pod the first-time sex god had me in stitches, as did Margaery's mention of the late Renley's 'painful-sounding' suggestion, haha.

I love how well she's got Joffrey's number...the lad is so fucked up that he has no sexual interest in women in themselves, only in so far as they can either be victims of violence (Ros and her poor colleague; Sansa, indirectly via her dad's execution) or accessories to it (Marge getting Joffrey's motor going with a lot of fairly unsubtle crossbow-as-penis-metaphor chat).

I like to think I'm keeping tabs on the various plot arcs reasonably well but I'm still mystified by the continued misadventures of Theon Grey(not having much)joy. So one of his men bopped him on the head in Winterfell when he was about to lead them all on a suicide charge against a far superior Stark force, fair enough. But what happened then? Who was torturing him? All I can think of is that he was handed over to some semi-renegade element of the Bolton faction, who are keeping it quiet from Robb so they can exact revenge in their uniquely old-fashioned and unpleasant way. But then why did that young lad rescue Theon and set him free, then kill the guys who recaptured him and were about to dish out a vigorous surprise bumming, only to lead him back to the castle where his original torturers were waiting for him? I guess it'll be explained at some point at the moment I'm pretty much in the dark..

Oh, and the scene with Jaime and Brienne was actually kind of touching, wasn't it? Jaime is clearly a prize douche even by GoT standards but he's lost his sword hand, he's been recaptured a Stark bannerman well known for his love of torture and his dad and sister don't have a clue where he is...he's staring to look pretty much fucked.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The weakest bits are the bits with Daenerys and the bits with Jon Snow, probably something to do with how bad they both are as actors (although this is quite enjoyable). I did enjoy Snow's shagging scene, mainly because I have a slightly confusing crush on Ygritte (and yes, going down on a wildling must be noxious, though warm at least).

My favourite character now has to be Tywin Lannister - aside from the usual suspects (Tyrion, Bronn...). Baelish's accent is getting more outrageously bad by the episode. I love Joffrey, he's such a prize prick: the way he struts about, stands with his hand on his hip, calls his sword 'heart eater' and so on.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Oh and agreed with Mr Tea about the Greyjoy thing - what was that fake-rescue thing supposed to be about? Hopefully will be explained soon.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, Dany's generally pretty wooden but in a way it somehow works, doesn't it? It just seems to go along with her total, uncontrived self-belief and Wille zur Macht. I think she'd be a good example of what tvtropes calls a 'Determinator'.

Joffrey is fucking brilliant, isn't he? As characters you love to hate, I can't remember watching someone so convincingly awful. I think the actor is doing a bang-up job. I have to wonder if the directors gave him a biography of Caligula to help prepare him for the role.

Also, is it 'wildING' or 'wildLING'? Seems no-one can decide.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Okayyy

1. Just when Joffrey is becoming a bit of a comical cunt, there comes a moment of ice-cold sadistic brutality to make you earnestly yearn to see him eat his own plops in hell. Bad news for Margaery? Oh and Baelish is one hell of a bastard. Varys has now become what could pass for a 'good' guy.

2. Jon Snow as hilariously shit as usual, but the wall-climb was well done and I actually fell for the old ''he's going to drop her!'' routine.

3. Theon torture scenes are now dragging a little. I STILL don't get the false-rescue thing. I guess the guy's just a sadistic maniac who does that sort of thing for a laugh?

4. The episoode was a bit dull, I don't really see where any of it is leading at the moment.

5. Rob Stark, what a cunt.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ah, looks like you've seen ep6, which I haven't yet.

Fuck, Joffrey must be up to some seriously nasty tricks to make you say that - hard to think what could make him sink any lower in one's estimation after the oh-god-I-can't-watch scene with Ros and the other girl in the second season. I'll have to watch tonight and find out.

Varys is a great character, isn't he? I've actually had him pegged as a 'good' guy (to the extent that the ASOFAI universe has any) from season 1 - not good in any kind of epic, heroic way, as he says himself, but more in the sense of a sort of Benthamite utility. I genuinely believe him when he says that he serves "the Realm" and that what he wants most of all is peace - he just thinks that if one person has to die, or even if ten or a hundred have to die, it's worth if it can prevent a huge war in which thousands die. Like when Ned was in the dungeon and Varys said he could spring him out of there, but didn't - I take that to mean Varys thought that by having Ned humiliated (made to take the black) but ultimately released unharmed, he could avoid an all-out war between the Starks and the Lannisters. Which, if true, would mean even he misunderestimated Joffrey as a power-drunk adolescent shithead rather than a true psychopath of Caligula-esque proportions. Or maybe he just thought it would be easier to broker an allegiance between the Starks and one of the surviving Baratheons in order to get rid of Joffrey.

Then again, again, isn't he conspiring with that beardy bloke Illyrio to bring about a Targeryen restoration? He doesn't seem the ideological sort so it's hard to believe he's doing it out of a fanatical devotion to House Targeryen, so maybe he thinks peace will be easier to achieve with Dany on the throne? But then, last surviving Targeryen hell-bent on revenge + Dothraki + dragons doesn't really sound like the optimal recipe for peace in our time...and Varys didn't have much of a problem with Robert's orders to have Dany bumped off (in fact wasn't it his idea?), but maybe he knew Ser Jorah would foil the attempt, thus inciting Drogo into war against Robert...

I've probably spent far too long thinking about this.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ah well that makes sense. Last thing we need at this juncture is the introduction of yet another new faction. Still scratching my head over this pair of mysterious siblings who ambushed and then tagged along with Bran and Rickon...

D

droid

The two swamp kids. In the book they visit Bran at Winterfell prior to the sacking. The marsh people are loyal Stark bannermen with weird powers.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh, the marsh people, of course...seriously wouldn't be surprised if The Knights Who Say Ni turned up next. The hill tribes were pretty Monty Python as it is.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh for heaven's sake.

tumblr_m9oqerYkXg1rf4jw0o1_1280.jpg